Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 9th September 2017
1. Assam Government Signs MoU with Google to Increase Digital Literacy:
- In a bid to take Internet connectivity to the remotest part of the state, Assam government signed a MoU with Google India.
- Through the MoU with Google, the state government would work to provide Internet connection to 26,000 villages and 1,500 tea garden areas to increase digital literacy.
2. First National Canine Seminar organized by NSG:
- The Minister of State for Home Affairs Shri Kiren Rijiju attended the first National Canine Seminar organized by National Security Guard (NSG), in NSG Campus, Manesar (Gurugram), Haryana.
- The theme of the two days National Canine Seminar is ”Canine as Tactical Weapon in Fight against Terrorism” with an objective to discuss and deliberate on the techniques of dog training and strategies of deploying the dogs in Counter Terrorism/Counter Insurgency scenario.
- The NSG is popularly known as “The Black Cats” of the country. NSG was set up in 1984 as a Federal Contingency Deployment Force to tackle all facets of terrorism in the country.
3. First water ATM in Hyderabad Inaugurated:
- Telangana Home Minister Nayani Narshima Reddy has inaugurated the first water ATM at Nalgonda X Roads in Hyderabad .
- A total of 200 ATMs will be set up to reach a targeted 150,000 people. In the first phase, 50 water ATMs will be operationalized by 2018.
- Safe Water Network, an international NGO has partnered with Greater Hyderabad Municipal Corporation (GHMC) to launch water ATMs. It will provide affordable, 24×7 safe water access in Hyderabad.
4. Bharat Petroleum set to get Maharatna status:
- State-run oil marketing company Bharat Petroleum Corporation (BPCL) is all set to become a Maharatna company. Presently it is having Navratna status.
- The decision to elevate BPCL to Maharatna status was taken by panel headed by Cabinet secretary and an announcement to this effect will be made soon.
- BPCL will be eight Central Public Sector Enterprises (CPSE) to get coveted Maharatna status. The status will enable BPCL Board to get enhanced powers which will help in expansion of its operations, both in India and abroad.
- The “Maharatna” category for CPSEs was introduced in 2009 with the objective to empower mega CPSEs to expand their operations and emerge as global giants or become Indian Multinational Companies (MNCs).
5. UIDAI Chief A.B. Pandey Appointed Interim GSTN Chairman:
- The Unique Identification Authority of India’s (UIDAI) chief executive officer (CEO) A.B. Pandey was appointed the interim chairman of the Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN).
- This firm provides information technology (IT) backbone and portal for registration and tax returns under the GST regime. Pandey was given additional charge days after GSTN’s first chairman Navin Kumar completed his term on 29 August.
6. India imposes the countervailing duty on some Chinese steel products for 5 years:
- The Union Finance Ministry has imposed 18.95% countervailing duty (CVD) on certain Chinese flat steel products for period of five years to protect domestic players from cheap subsidised imports.
- The decision to impose CVD was taken by finance ministry based on the recommendation of Directorate General of Anti-Dumping and Allied Duties (DGAD).This is first case of imposition of CVD on any steel product in India.
7. Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella pens his 1st book ‘Hit Refresh’:
- Technology giant Microsoft’s India-born CEO Satya Nadella has written his first book ‘Hit Refresh’ which explores his life’s journey and Microsoft’s continuing transformation.
- In a post on LinkedIn, Nadella said that he wrote the book for his company’s colleagues, and partners.
- The book carries a foreword by Microsoft co-Founder Bill Gates and will go on sale globally on September 26.
8. US Banking Regulators Shut Down Pakistan’s Habib Bank:
- US banking regulators ordered Pakistan’s Habib Bank to shutter its New York office after nearly 40 years, for repeatedly failing to heed concerns over possible terrorist financing and money laundering.
- The state’s Department of Financial Services, which regulates foreign banks, also slapped a 225 million Dollars fine on the bank. In 2006, it was ordered to tighten Habib Bank’s oversight of potentially illegal transactions but failed to comply.
9. Female Wrestler Sonam wins Gold in Cadet World Wrestling Championship:
- India Wrestler Sonam Malik won a gold medal by defeating Japanese Wrestler Sena Nagamoto by 3-1 points on the fourth-day of Cadet World Wrestling Championship in Athens.
- The other female Wrestler Neelam also bagged Bronze Medal in 43-kilogram weight category. Wrestler Anshu will fight for Gold Medal with Japanese Wrestler Naomi Ruike in 60-kilogram weight category.
10. Sjoerd Marijne Named New Coach of Indian Men’s Hockey Team:
- Women’s national hockey coach Sjoerd Marijne was named chief coach of the men’s side. He has replaced Roelant Oltmans.
- Besides, World Cup-winning junior team coach Harendra Singh was appointed High-Performance Specialist coach of the senior women’s team. The decisions were announced by newly-appointed Sports Minister Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore.