1. World Hepatitis Day being observed today:
- The World Hepatitis Day is being observed every year on July 28 around the world by World Health Organisation (WHO) to spread awareness about viral hepatitis.
- This year the theme of the Day is – “Eliminate Hepatitis”.
- Hepatitis is a group of infectious diseases known as Hepatitis A, B, C, D, and E.
2. Odisha formally names Wheeler Island after APJ Abdul Kalam:
- Odisha government has formally named the Outer Wheeler Island in Bhadrak district as APJ Abdul Kalam Island as a tribute to the former president.
- Dr. Kalam’s emotional attachment with the interim test range at Chandipur in Balasore district and Wheeler Island in Bhadrak district.
- He had spent most of his time in these two places as part of his efforts to develop missiles for the protection of the country.
3. Mumbai Metro launches India’s first mobile ticketing system
- Mumbai Metro announced the launch of India’s first Mobile Ticketing System ‘OnGo’ which will help commuters pass the AFC gates using their mobile phones.
- Commuters will be able to generate a QR Code through ‘OnGo’ service for current or future journeys upto a week in advance by clicking the mobile app wherein they would pay for their journey.
4. Government launched two apps ‘India Quake’ & ‘Sagar Vani’:
- The Union government has launched two Mobile apps ‘India Quake’ (for the dissemination of earthquake parameters) and ‘Sagar Vani’ (to disseminate ocean related information and alerts) to the user community in a timely manner for their safety.
- Mobile apps have been Developed by the National Centre for Seismology (NCS).
The ‘India Quake’ will automatically disseminate relevant parameter (location, time and magnitude) after the occurrence of earthquakes.
- The ‘Sagar Vani’ is a software platform where various dissemination modes are integrated on a single central server.
5. Uma Bharati to inaugurate national 4th Jal Manthan seminar:
- Today, the Water Resources, River Development, and Ganga Rejuvenation Minister Uma Bharati has inaugurated two-day national 4th Jal Manthan seminar in New Delhi.
- The seminar has been attended by Union Ministers of related ministries and departments, chief ministers, irrigation and water resources ministers of some states and union territories, eminent experts, representatives of NGOs and senior officers.
6. BRICS nations sign memorandum to facilitate taxation cooperation:
- Tax authorities of the five BRICS countries have signed a landmark document to establish a mechanism for taxation cooperation at the fifth meeting.
- It is the bloc’s first document that elevates taxation cooperation to the institutional level.
The authorities also agreed to cooperate on taxation information exchange, improve consultation procedures efficiency, boost taxation capacities and plan paths for coordination of taxation policies and tax collection.
- The BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) are home to 42 per cent of the world’s population. BRICS was established in 2006.
7. Amazon’s Jeff Bezos briefly overtakes Gates to become world’s richest:
- Amazon’s share price propelled founder Jeff Bezos to the top of a list of the world’s richest individuals—for less than a day. Mr. Bezos, who is also chairman and chief executive of the Seattle-based company, was worth almost $91bn (£70bn) after Amazon’s share price rose more than 1 per cent in morning trading in New York.
- That put his fortune ahead of Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates’. The latter has a net worth of around $90.7bn and has been at the top of Bloomberg’s rich list since 2013. But Mr Bezos slipped back into second place later in the day.
- Mr. Bezos, who founded the company in 1994, owns around 17 per cent of Amazon’s shares.
8. Axis Bank approves re-appointment of Shikha Sharma as CEO:
- Axis Bank has re-appointed Shikha Sharma as MD & CEO of Axis Bank for the three-year term from June 2018. Her current term was to end in June 2018.
- Axis Bank informed Bombay Stock Exchange that board of directors has approved the re-appointment.
9. Bollywood actor Inder Kumar passes away:
- Bollywood actor Inder Kumar (44-year) passed away due to a heart attack at his residence in Andheri Mumbai.
- Inder has worked in several popular films like Wanted’, ‘Tumko Na Bhool Payenge’ ‘Kahin Pyaar Na Ho Jaaye’ and Akshay Kumar’s ‘Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi’.
10. Indonesia to host AFC U-19 championship:
- The Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Competition Committee officially awarded Indonesia the hosting of the AFC Under-19 Championship 2018.
- The AFC U-19 championship is scheduled to be held from October 18 to November 4 of 2018.
- Headquarters of Asian Football Confederation (AFC) is in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
11. Ajay Singh wins bronze medal in Asian Youth and Junior Weightlifting Championships:
- Ajay Singh (India) has won a bronze medal in Asian Youth and Junior Weightlifting Championships at Kathmandu, Nepal.
- He got third place in 77 Kgs men’s junior category, lifting 143 kgs in the snatch and 172 kgs in clean and jerk.
12. PV Sindhu appointed Group-I officer in Andhra Pradesh:
- Olympic silver medallist P V Sindhu has been appointed a Group-I officer in Andhra Pradesh. Chief minister N Chandrababu Naidu handed over the government order to the Rio Olympics silver winning shuttler.
- Chandrababu Naidu had promised a Group-I post to Sindhu when she won the silver medal in Olympics. Accordingly, she was appointed the deputy collector.