GK Update & Current Affairs: 10th October 2018
1. Mobile Health App ‘MedWatch’ Launched By Indian Air Force
- On the occasion of 86th anniversary, the Indian Air Force has launched an innovative mobile health App named ‘MedWatch’ in keeping with the Prime Minister’s vision of ‘Digital India, Ayushman Bharat and Mission Indradhanush’.
- The app is conceived by the doctors of IAF and developed in-house by Directorate of Information Technology (DIT) with ZERO financial outlay. ‘MedWatch’ is the first mobile health app in the three Armed Services and was launched by Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa.
2. Japanese Passport Named World’s Most Powerful, India 81st
- Japan’s passport has been named the most powerful in the world, overtaking Singapore, according to the Henley Passport Index 2018.
- Japan has recently gained visa-free access to Myanmar, Japanese citizens now have visa-free or visa-on-arrival access to 190 destinations around the world.
- The Indian passport has secured the 81st rank with visa-free or visa-on-arrival access to 60 destinations.
3. Sushma Swaraj launches ‘India for Humanity’ initiative
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj formally launched ‘India for Humanity’ initiative to commemorate the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
- The initiative will feature a year-long series of artificial limb fitment camps in a number of countries spanning the globe, for which the MEA is collaborating with the renowned charitable organisation — “Bhagwan Mahaveer Viklang Sahayata Samiti” (BMVSS).
4. J P Nadda Inaugurates 2nd World Conference On Access To Medical Products
- Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, J P Nadda inaugurated ‘2nd World Conference on Access to Medical Products: Achieving the SDGs 2030’ in New Delhi.
- At the function, Shri J P Nadda released the Position Paper and launched the Information Sharing Platform Gateway for South-East Asia Regulatory Network (SEARN) developed by Centre for Development of Advanced Computing, which will promote regulatory and health collaboration among the countries of the South-East Asia Region.
5. Government Reconstitutes Top Court-Powered Pollution Control Panel
- The Centre has reconstituted Supreme Court-empowered Environment Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority or the EPCA, which is tasked with taking various measures to tackle air pollution in the National Capital Region.
- Former secretary Bhure Lal continues to be the chairman, while the Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) DG Sunita Narain is one of the members.
6. Jharkhand To Become Partner State At Goa International Film Festival
- The Goa International Film Festival that will be held in November 2018 will have Jharkhand as a partner state.
- The decision was taken in meeting between Secretary of Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Mr. Amit Khare and Chief Secretary of Jharkhand, Sudhir Tripathy at Ranchi.
7. BPCL To Set Up Country’s 1st Biofuel Plant In Odisha
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd (BPCL) will complete commissioning of its second generation (2G) ethanol bio-refinery at Baulsingha village in Bargarh district of Odisha by 2020.
- The proposed plant will see an investment of Rs 1000 crore, the foundation stone of which was laid. This is the first biofuel plant in the country where ethanol will be produced from rice straw.
8. India Beat Sri Lanka To Win U-19 Asia Cup Title
- Indian under-19 cricket team has defeated Sri Lanka by 144 runs in the summit clash of the 2018 ACC Under-19 Asia Cup in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The victory gave India their sixth title in the continental tournament.
- Indian batsman Yashasvi Jaiswal was named the Player of the Series. The 2018 Under-19 Asia Cup was the 7th edition of ACC Under-19 Cup. The cricket tournament was held in Bangladesh. Afghanistan were the defending champions.
9. Manu Bhaker, 1st Indian Woman To Win Gold At YOG at Youth Olympic Games 2018
- Sixteen-year-old shooter Manu Bhaker has become the first-ever Indian woman to win gold at Youth Olympics.
- Bhaker achieved the feat after winning the women’s 10m Air Pistol event with a score of 236.5 at 2018 Youth Olympic Games in Argentina’s Buenos Aires.
- Weightlifter Jeremy Lalrinnunga became the first-ever Indian to bag Youth Olympics gold.