Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 25th August 2017
1. Government to establish first National Sports Museum in New Delhi:
- The Union Ministry of Sports and Youth Affairs is going to establish National Sports Museum at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, New Delhi. It will be first of its kind sports museum in India.
- The aim of the sports museum is to popularise the sports as a way of life within the country. It will showcase India’s achievements in sports and also focus on the traditional sports within the country.
- The proposed Museum will display achievements of the Indian greats in sports and also act as an educational hub and offer opportunity for the young to delve into some sporting activity.
2. Indian Navy Band Participates in International Military Music Festival in Russia:
- The International Military Music Festival “Spasskaya Tower” is the parade of the best military music bands of Russia and other countries that takes place every year at Red Square in Moscow. This time Indian Navy Band is participating in the festival.
- Every year about 1500 musicians, military men and other artists from around 40 countries perform at the “Spasskaya Tower”. The Festival is duly considered one of the largest international events in Russia and attracts tremendous response of the general public.
3. Raghuram Rajan Pens Book ‘I Do What I Do’ on his RBI Stint:
- Former RBI Governor Raghuram Rajan has penned a book titled ‘I Do What I Do’, On Reform, Rhetoric & Resolve’.
- Raghuram Rajan explains economic concepts and talks of issues like tolerance and connection between political freedom and prosperity in his new book.
- The book is a collection of essays and speeches during his stint as Reserve Bank of India (RBI) governor. The book will hit stores on 4 September, exactly a year after he quit as the RBI governor.
4. Bilateral Meeting Between India and Uzbekistan Held in New Delhi:
- The Commerce and Industries Minister, Mrs. Nirmala Sitharaman and Mr. Abdulaziz Kamilov, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Mr. Elyor Ganiev, Minister of Foreign Trade held detailed discussions on deepening trade and economic ties between India and Uzbekistan in a bilateral meeting in New Delhi.
- Commerce Minister expressed happiness on the formation of an Uzbek India Trading House at Delhi as a Joint Venture Company.
5. Delhi Metro launches free WiFi on all Blue Line stations:
- The Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) on Friday launched free WiFi service at all 50 stations of its Blue Line which runs between Dwarka Sector-21 and Vaishali/Noida City Centre.
- The passengers can use the service by searching for WiFi options and selecting ‘Oui DMRC Free Wifi’ for one-time registration. The DMRC started the WiFi service last year with Airport Line.
6. Karnataka ties up with Microsoft to develop India’s first Farm Price Forecasting Model:
- Karnataka Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with software giant Microsoft India to develop a unique “farm price forecasting model”.
- The proposed initiative is claimed to be the first-of-its-kind in the country. It will aid farmers from states to predict farm prices in advance and deal effectively with the unpredictable market.
7. Dhanlaxmi Bank, DHFL Pramerica Tie up for Bancassurance:
- DHFL Pramerica Life Insurance Company has signed on Kerala-based Dhanlaxmi Bank as its bancassurance partner.
- Under the agreement, the latter will distribute retail and group life insurance products to its customers across 260 branches in India.
- With this tie-up, the company is in a strong position to consolidate its presence in Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. The tie-up will further increase the insurance penetration in the region.
8. Ronaldo First to be named Men’s Player of the Year for Three Times:
- Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo has won the UEFA Men’s Player of the Year award for the 2016/17 season. He received the award at the 2017/18 UEFA Champions League group stage draw in Monaco.
- Ronaldo picked up the trophy for the second consecutive season and third time in total. Ronaldo received 482 points in the poll, with Messi (141 votes) and Buffon (109 votes) finishing second and third respectively.
UEFA Women’s Player of the Year: Lieke Martens.
Best Goalkeeper of the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League season: Gianluigi Buffon.
Best Defender of the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League season: Sergio Ramos.
Best Midfielder of the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League season: Luka Modric.
Best Forward of the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League season: Cristiano Ronaldo.
UEFA President’s Award: Francesco Totti.
9. India’s Oldest Cinematographer Ramananda Sengupta Passes Away:
- Country’s oldest cinematographer Ramanda Sengupta, who worked with legends like Jean Renoir, Ritwik Ghatak, and Mrinal Sen, died in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Sengupta was 101 years old. He got his first break in 1938 when he joined Film Corporation of India in Kolkata (then Calcutta) as an assistant cameraman.
- His first film as a full-time cinematographer was in Purbaraag directed by Ardhendu Mukherjee in 1946.
10. Tony de Brum Passes Away:
- Tony de Brum, the former Marshall Islands foreign minister who became a leading advocate for the landmark Paris Climate Agreement and an internationally recognised voice in the fight against climate change, has died aged 72. De Brum was also the Pacific nation’s climate ambassador.