Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 26th August 2017
1. Government bans import of gold, silver items from South Korea:
- The Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) in the Union Commerce Ministry has banned duty free imports of gold, silver items from South Korea.
- These restrictions were imposed against the backdrop of sudden surge in imports of precious metals from South Korea, with which India has a free trade agreement (FTA) since January 2010.
- Now, importers will now have to obtain a license from the DGFT for importing gold and silver from South Korea.
- India is the world’s second largest gold consumer after China, with consumption of 674 tonnes in 2016.
2. Nungthaang Tampak- North East’s First 100% Computer Literate Village:
- Manipur’s Nungthaang Tampak village has emerged as the ‘100 percent computer literate’ not only in the state but in the entire North East.
- The computer course, which is affiliated to All India Society for Electronics and Computer Technology (AISECT), was organized by Mangal Rural as a part of the Digital India program.
- Nungthang Tampak has become India’s second 100 percent computer literate village.
- Kerala’s Chamravattom village is the country’s first 100 percent computer literate village.
3. Government constitutes task force on artificial intelligence:
- The Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry has constituted a Task Force on Artificial Intelligence (AI) for India’s Economic Transformation.
- The 18-member panel will be headed by Dr. V. Kamakoti of IIT Madras. It will comprise of experts, academics, researchers and industry leaders.
- The Task force will explore the possibilities to leverage AI for development across various fields. It will submit concrete and implementable recommendations for government, industry and research institutions.
4. E-waste Disposal from Schools Kicks Starts in Kerala:
- E-waste removal from Kerala schools has begun with about 12,500 kg being disposed statewide on a single day under a programme aiming to clear accumulated junk, reportedly estimated at over one crore kg.
- It is aimed at disposing e-Waste such as desktop computers, CRT monitors, laptops, disk drives, printers, UPS, camera, speaker system, television, network components and generators from 10,000 odd schools and educational offices in the state.
5. Jammu and Kashmir Government to Set Up First Eco-Park:
- The Jammu and Kashmir government has decided to build an Eco-Park on over 34 acres of land reclaimed from encroachers in the state’s Rajouri district.
- The park is a first-of-its-kind project in the region. It will have a botanical garden, a cactus garden, a cafeteria and other amenities.
6. Digital Haryana Summit (DHS) will be organized in Gurugram:
- The Haryana government will organize Digital Haryana Summit (DHS) in Gurugram on September 15, 2017 to discuss issues like digital governance, smart living in cities and villages, citizen partnership, entrepreneurship, skilling and geo-governance and sustainability, among others.
- The National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM) will be partner for this event and the summit would be organised as a part of the state’s Swarna Jayanti celebrations.
- The purpose of the summit is to bring together different stakeholders and develop a singular agenda for the digital transformation of Haryana, in line with the Digital India initiative.
7. Coast Guard Training Ship Varuna Decommissioned:
- The Indian Coast Guard Ship Varuna, which was part of the First Training Squadron of the Navy, was decommissioned with full armed forces honors at a ceremony. The ship had an illustrious service spanning about 30 years.
- ICGS Varuna was the fourth of in its class of offshore patrol vessels built by the Mumbai-based Mazagon Dock.
- The ship had numerous operational achievements to its credit, including a record number of apprehension of smugglers with gold worth crores of rupees during the late 1980s.
8. Dharmendra Kumar appointed as DG, RPF:
- Shri Dharmendra Kumar (1984 batch IPS officer) has been appointed as the Director General (DG) Railway Protection Force. Presently he is working in CISF as Additional DG.
- The appointment of Shri Dharmendra Kumar will be effective from the date of assumption of charge of the post or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
9. CA Institute Signs MoU with ICA Nepal:
- The CA Institute of India has signed an MoU with the Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nepal (ICAN). Nilesh Vikamsey, President, Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) and Prakash Jung Thapa, President–ICAN exchanged the MoU.
- The MoU seeks to establish mutual co-operation for the advancement of accounting knowledge, professional and intellectual development, advancing the interests of their respective members and positively contributing to the development of the accounting profession in Nepal and India.
10. Telangana govt. to conduct a land survey to address disputes:
- The Telangana govt. has decided to conduct a comprehensive land survey in the state to address disputes and litigations over maintenance of land records and ownership.The survey would be done in 10,875 villages in the state.
- The surveying personnel would stay put in the villages for conducting the survey and they will update land records online.
11. RBI Appoints Committee to Link Home Loan Rates to Repo Rate:
- Reserve Bank of India appointed committee on Household Finance has suggested that banks link their home loan rates to the RBI’s repo rate, the rate at which it lends to banks.
- In the past three years the central bank has reduced the policy rate by 200 basis points, but the weighted average lending rates have fallen by 145 basis points. A basis point is 0.01 percentage point.
12. England to host 2018 ITTF Team World Cup:
- The world table tennis governing body, International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) has announced the 2018 ITTF Team World Cup will be held in London from 22nd to 25th February next year.
- The Team World Cup is ITTF’s second most prestigious tournament after the World Championships.
- The 2018 Team World Cup will be staged at the iconic Copper Box Arena in London’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. In 2015, the Team World Cup was last held in Dubai.