GK Update & Current Affairs: 26th September 2018
1. Finance Ministry Launched Mobile App “Jan Dhan Darshak”
- Department of Financial Services (DFS) and National Informatics Centre (NIC) have jointly developed a mobile app called Jan Dhan Darshak as a part of financial inclusion (FI) initiative. This app will act as a guide for the common people in locating a financial service touch point at a given location in the country.
- While over 5 lakh FI touch points (Bank branches, ATMs, Post Offices) have been mapped on this App, approx. 1.35 lakh Bank Mitras would be on-boarded by 01.12.2018. Phone number of bank branches are available in the app, with the facility of call button for integrated dialling.
2. UN Declared Nelson Mandela Decade Of Peace 2019-2028
- Unanimously adopting a political declaration at the Nelson Mandela Peace Summit, nearly 100 Heads of State and Government, Ministers etc. committed to redoubling efforts to build a just, peaceful, prosperous, inclusive and fair world, as they paid tribute to the late South African President.
- Recognizing the period from 2019 to 2028 as the Nelson Mandela Decade of Peace, the Declaration saluted Mr Mandela for his humility, forgiveness and compassion, acknowledging as well his contribution to the struggle for democracy and the promotion of a culture of peace throughout the world.
3. Finland Topped In ‘Human Capital’ Score, India Ranked 158th
- India ranks 158th in the world for its investments in education and health care, according to the first-ever scientific study ranking countries for their levels of human capital. The nation is placed behind Sudan (ranked 157th) and ahead of Namibia (ranked 159th) in the list.
- The study, published in journal The Lancet, says that India is ranked at 158 out of 195 countries, an improvement from its position of 162 in 1990. The U.S. is ranked 27th, while China is at 44th and Pakistan at 164th.
4. 3 Indian Women Selected As Facebook Global Community Leaders
- Adhunika Prakash, who founded non-profit Breastfeeding Support for Indian Moms in Pune, was selected among five global leaders for $1 million award each by Facebook as part of its Community Leadership Programme. Chetana Misra who founded Mompreneurs India and Tamanna Dhamija who created Baby Destination were awarded $50,000 in fellowship each.
- Launched in February this year, the programme is designed to enable extraordinary leaders advance their initiatives and build stronger communities through the social networking giant’s family of apps and services.
5. Andhra Pradesh tops in ‘Ease of Living Index’
- Andhra Pradesh topped the ‘Ease of Living Index’ ranking which was released by the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs. Odisha and Madhya Pradesh were in the second and third position respectively.
- The three were awarded the best performing States under the Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation at the national dissemination workshop on the Ease of living Index 2018.
6. Orientation programme on e-Vidhan platform inaugurated
- Union Minister Arjun Ram Meghwal on Monday inaugurated an orientation programme here to encourage all state legislatures to move towards e-Vidhan platform, which would bring transparency and accountability in terms of information related to their functioning.
- The National e-Vidhan Application (NeVA) is part of the “Digital India” programme covering all 40 houses including two houses of the Parliament and thereby putting them all on a single platform.
- The two-day orientation programme includes technical sessions and group discussions, which would facilitate exposure of the delegates to the positive attributes of NeVA.
7. Two new projects for Punjab, Tripura under Swadesh Darshan Scheme
- The Ministry of Tourism said today it has sanctioned two new projects under Heritage and North East Circuits of Swadesh Darshan Scheme for Rs 164.95 crore in Punjab and Tripura.
- ‘Swadesh Darshan’ (tour of country) is a flagship scheme of the Ministry of Tourism for the development of thematic circuits in the country in a planned and prioritised manner.
- In Punjab, the project includes development of Jallianwala Bagh in Amritsar, Anandpur Sahib, Fatehgarh Sahib, Jajah Haveli of Divan Todar Mal, Mir Miran Tomb and Sadna Kasai Tomb.
- Under the North East Circuit in Tripura, the sites of Surma Cherra- Unakoti- Jampui Hills- Gunabati-Bhunaneshwari- Matabari- Neermahal- Boxanagar- Chotta khola- Pilak- Avangchaarra are covered.
8. Japan Landed Rovers On Asteroid In Historic Mission
- The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) landed a pair of rovers on an asteroid, marking the world’s first moving, robotic observation of an asteroid surface. The two rovers Hayabusa2 managed to land on the asteroid are expected to take advantage of the low gravity and jump around the surface, reaching heights of up to 15 meters.
- The small compact MINERVA-II1(MIcro Nano Experimental Robot Vehicle for Asteroid, the second generation) rovers separated from the Hayabusa2 spacecraft. The MINERVA-II 1 consists of two rovers, Rover-1A and Rover-1B. The Hayabusa2 probe was launched in December 2014 to explore the surface of the asteroid known as Ryugu.
9. Cabinet Approves National Digital Communications Policy
- The cabinet has approved the new telecom policy, now named National Digital Communications Policy (NDCP) 2018, which aims to attract USD 100 billion investment and create 4 million jobs in the sector by 2022.
- According to the draft of the policy, NDCP is focused on increasing high-speed broadband penetration, with use of modern technologies like 5G and optical fibres across the country at affordable rates.
10. Anil Kumar Chaudhary appointed as new SAIL chairman
- Anil Kumar Chaudhary has been appointed as the new chairman and Managing Director of the Steel Authority of India (SAIL), country’s largest steel
- Currently, Mr. Chaudhary is serving as the Director (Finance) in SAIL. Chaudhary joined SAIL in 1984 as junior manager (F&A).
11. Jaya Prada appointed Nepal’s tourism goodwill ambassador
- Former Member of Parliament of India and cine artist Jaya Prada has been appointed Goodwill Ambassador for the promotion of Nepal tourism.
- A ministerial-level meeting of the Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation on Friday appointed the 60-year-old Indian actress as the tourism Goodwill Ambassador for four years.
- The government has decided to observe the year 2020 as the ‘Visit Nepal Year’ campaign and has set a target of welcoming two million tourists at home.
12. Arunachal CM launches GeM in state
- Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu Monday informed that more than 26,000 government agencies have been incorporated in the Government e Marketplace (GeM).
- The objective of the launch is to accelerate the adoption and use of GeM by state government and its agencies.
- Arunachal is the sixth state in India to have signed MoUs with GeM, which aims to bring in transparency, efficiency and inclusiveness in public procurement and achieve cashless, contactless and paperless transaction.
13. India to organize ‘Gandhi March’ in the Netherlands
India will organize ‘Gandhi March’ from the iconic Peace Palace at the Hague to Grote Kerk to launch the twoyear long celebrations of the 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
The ‘Gandhi March’ will see the participation of people of all nationalities and around 20 ambassadors of different countries. There are around thirty streets in the country named after Mahatma Gandhi.