1. United Nation’s World Day against Trafficking in Persons: 30th July
- The World Day against Trafficking in Persons is observed across the world on 30th July to raise awareness of the plight of victims of human trafficking and to protect their rights.
- The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) selected this year ‘Act to Protect and Assist Trafficked Persons’ as the focus of the Day.
- In 2013, the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) had designated 30th July as the World Day against Trafficking in Persons.
2. SAARC Artists Camp & Exhibition of Paintings begins in Nepal:
- Nepal’s Minister of Culture, Tourism and Civil Aviation ‘Jitendra Narayan Devhas’ has inaugurated the 7th edition of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Artists Camp and Exhibition of Paintings at Kathmandu, Nepal.
- These events provide a platform to artists for exchanging ideas with fellow artists and helping in creating special bonding among them.
- Around 40 artists from SAARC member countries (except Afghanistan) taking part in the camp.
3. DRDO develops India’s first unmanned tank ‘Muntra’:
- Defense Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed India’s first unmanned tank, which has three variants – surveillance, mine detection, and reconnaissance in areas with nuclear and bio threats. It is called Muntra (Mission UNmanned TRAcked) and has been rolled out of the Chennai lab.
- The tanks will facilitate Indian Armed forces in conducting unmanned surveillance missions.
- Muntra-S has been developed for unmanned surveillance missions, whereas Muntra-M is built for detecting mines.
- Muntra-N will be deployed in areas where nuclear radiation or bio weapon risk is high.
4. Govt. launches Jiyo Parsi Publicity 2nd Phase in Mumbai:
- The Union Ministry of Minority Affairs has launched Jiyo Parsi Publicity (2nd Phase) in Mumbai, Maharashtra under the Jiyo Parsi scheme.
- The first phase of the scheme was launched in 2013.
- Jiyo Parsi scheme is a Central Sector Scheme for containing population decline of Parsis in India.
5. Punjab launches ‘Apni Gaddi Apni Rozgar’ scheme:
- The Punjab government has recently announced the launch of its flagship ‘Apni Gaddi Apna Rozgar’ scheme by flagging off over 100 uber MOTO bikes.
- Under the scheme, the state government will be providing commercial two wheelers and four wheelers to unemployed youth at subsidized rates.
- The scheme aims to generate job opportunities for youth and providing better mobile transport in Punjab.
6. National Mission for Clean Ganga approves 7 projects:
- National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG) has approved seven projects worth nearly 425 crore rupees in the sector of sewage infrastructure, ghat development and research.
- Three projects have been approved in Uttar Pradesh in sewage sector at a cost of 238.64 crore rupees and three in Bihar at a cost of 175 crore rupees.
- The decision was taken in the fourth meeting of the Executive Committee of National Mission for Clean Ganga in New Delhi.
- A research study to understand the non-putrefying properties of river Ganga in both water and sediment was also approved at an estimated cost of 4.96 crore rupees.
7. Japanese, Sri Lankan among Magsaysay award winners:
- Yoshiaki Ishizawa, a Japanese historian who helped Cambodians preserve the Angkor temples, and Gethsie Shanmugam, a Sri Lankan teacher who counseled war widows and orphans to overcome their nightmares, are among the six winners of this year’s Ramon Magsaysay Awards.
- The other recipients named are Abdon Nababan, an Indonesian, a Singaporean businessman Tony Tay, a Philippine theater group and Lilia de Lima, a Filipino.
- The Ramon Magsaysay Award is an annual award named after former Philippine President Ramon Magsaysay.
- It is regarded as Asia’s version of the Nobel Prize and was first awarded in the year 1958.
8. SBI will offer 3.5% for savings deposits below Rs. 1 crore:
- State Bank of India (SBI) has decided to reduce the savings bank interest rate for the first time since the rate was deregulated.
- SBI will offer 3.5% for savings deposits below Rs 1 crore and 4% above Rs. 1 crore.
The new rates will be effective from 31 July 2017.
- About 90% of the savings bank deposits are less than Rs 1 crore for SBI.
9. RBI slaps Rs. 1 cr penalty on Union Bank for KYC non-compliance:
- The RBI has imposed a penalty of Rs. 1 crore on state-owned Union Bank of India for “non-compliance” with the directions on Know Your Customer (KYC) norms.
- This action is based on deficiencies in regulatory compliance and is not intended to pronounce upon the validity of any transaction or agreement entered into by the bank with its customers.
10. Sebastian Vettel wins 2017 Hungarian Formula One Grand Prix:
- Ferrari driver Sebastian Vettel (Germany) has won the 2017 Hungarian Formula One Grand Prix at the Hungaroring in Mogyoród.
- Second place has been taken by Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen (Finland) and third place Mercedes driver Valtteri Bottas (Finland).
- The 2017 Hungarian Formula One Grand Prix was the eleventh round of the 2017 Formula One season and the 32nd running of the Hungarian Grand Prix.
11. ‘Caeleb Dressel’ becomes first ever to win three gold medals in one night at worlds Championship:
- American newest star of the pool Caeleb Dressel (20-year) has become the first swimmer to win three gold medals on a single night at either the worlds or the Olympics.
- Dressel won the 50m freestyle (22.76) and the 100m butterfly before leading off a world-record performance in the 4×100-meter mixed freestyle relay.
- Now, He has become the second swimmer to win seven gold medals at a single World Championships, after Michael Phelps(in 2007).
12. Shiva Thapa, Manoj Kumar strike gold at Czech Republic boxing tournament:
- Indian boxers packed quite a heavy punch at the 48th Grand Prix Usti Nad Labem, clinching five gold, two silver, and one bronze medal at the event in the Czech Republic.
- World Championships bronze-medallist Shiva Thapa (60kg), former Commonwealth Games gold-medallist Manoj Kumar (69kg), Amit Phangal (52kg), Gaurav Bidhuri (56kg) and Satish Kumar (+91kg) claimed gold medals after winning their respective summit clashes.