Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 3rd September 2017
1. Narendra Modi Cabinet reshuffled: 9 New Ministers take oath
New Cabinet Ministers:
- Nirmala Sitharaman is Minister of Defence. She will be the first full-time woman Defence Minister and the second woman to hold this post after Indira Gandhi, who held additional charge. Arun Jaitley, who earlier held the Defence portfolio as additional charge, will continue to be the Minister of Finance and Minister of Corporate Affairs.
- Suresh Prabhu is Minister of Commerce and Industry. Nirmala Sitharaman was Minister of State for Commerce and Industry with independent charge.
- Piyush Goyal is Minister of Railways and Minister of Coal. The Railways ministry was earlier headed by Suresh Prabhu.
- Nitin Gadkari is Minister of Road Transport and Highways; Minister of Shipping, and Minister of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
- Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi is Minister of Minority Affairs. He had independent charge of the Ministry as a Minister of State earlier.
- Uma Bharti is Minister of Drinking Water and Sanitation. Her previous portfolio of Water Resources and Ganga Rejuvenation has been given to Nitin Gadkari.
New Ministers of State:
- Rajyavardhan Rathore is Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, and Minister of State in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting. Vijay Goel earlier held Independent Charge of this portfolio.
- Hardeep Singh Puri is Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- Alphons Kannanthanam is Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Tourism; and Minister of State in the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
- Dharmendra Pradhan is Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas; and Minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
- P. Radhakrishnan is Minister of State in the Ministry of Finance; and Minister of State in the Ministry of Shipping.
- Raj Kumar Singh is Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of Power; and Minister of State (Independent Charge) of the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy.
- Shiv Pratap Shukla is Minister of State in the Ministry of Finance.
- Ashwini Kumar Choubey is Minister of State in the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Virendra Kumar is Minister of State in the Ministry of Women and Child Development; and Minister of State in the Ministry of Minority Affairs.
- Ananth Kumar Hegde is Minister of State in the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.
- Gajendra Singh Shekhawat is Minister of State in the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare.
- Satya Pal Singh is Minister of State in the Ministry of Human Resource Development; and Minister of State in the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
2. Five banks of BRICS nations sign pact for credit lines: Report
- Five banks of the BRICS Bank Cooperation Mechanism have agreed to establish credit lines in the national currencies and cooperate on credit ratings. The agreement to this effect was signed ahead of the BRICS Summit in China’s Xiamen city.
- Brazilian Development Bank, Vnesheconombank, Export-Import Bank of India, China Development Bank and Development Bank of South Africa signed the agreement in Beijing. Ahead of the BRICS summit, the New Development Bank (NDB) of the BRICS countries has approved 1.4 billion US dollar loans for sustainable development projects in India, Russia and China.
- China is hosting the 9th BRICS Summit. The theme of the 9th BRICS Summit is “Stronger Partnership for a better future”.
- The BRIC, comprising, Brazil, Russia, India and China formally came into existence in 2006 and its first Summit was held in 2009. South Africa was admitted in 2011 and it became BRICS.
3. Dhoni 1st player in ODI history to effect 100 stumpings:
- Former India captain MS Dhoni has become the first wicketkeeper to effect 100 stumpings in ODI cricket history, achieving the feat in the fifth ODI against Sri Lanka on Sunday.
- Dhoni’s 100th victim was Sri Lanka’s Akila Dananjaya, who was dismissed off Yuzvendra Chahal’s delivery. Nayan Mongia has the next-highest stumpings for India, effecting 44 stumpings in 140 ODIs.
- Top three players are M S Dhoni(100), k sangakkara(99) and Romesh Kaluwitharana (75)
4. Rajyavardhan Singh first sportsman to become sports minister:
- Olympic silver medal-winning shooter Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore was named the Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports as part of PM Narendra Modi’s cabinet reshuffle on Sunday, making him the first sportsperson to hold the position.
- The 47-year-old Padma Shri awardee, who is also the MoS for Information and Broadcasting, replaced Vijay Goel who is now the MoS for Parliamentary Affairs.
5. Government Issues Alert on Spread of ‘Locky Ransomware’:
- The government has issued an alert on the spread of new malware ‘Locky Ransomware’ that can lock computers and demand ransom for unlocking them.
- Electronics and IT Additional Secretary Ajay Kumar tweeted that an alert regarding spam spreading Locky Ransomware was issued by Indian Computer Emergency Response Team.
- Ransomware is a malicious software and the Locky Ransomware is learnt to be demanding the ransom of half Bitcoin, which at present rate is equivalent to over Rs 1.5 lakh.