Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 4th March 2018
1. Odisha Govt Launches ‘Ama Gaon, Ama Vikas’ Programme:
- The Odisha government has launched a programme Ama Gaon, Ama Vikas (Our Village, our development) to reach out to the people in rural areas and involve themselves in the developmental activities.
- Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has flagged off mobile video vans for ‘Ama Gaon Ama Vikas’ programme that will move across the State to highlight various welfare schemes at villages in the state.
2. India, Russia, Bangladesh sign pact for Rooppur Atomic Plant:
- India, Bangladesh and Russia have signed a tripartite memorandum of understanding (MoU) for cooperation in construction of Rooppur nuclear power plant near Dhaka, Bangladesh.
- It is first initiative under India-Russia nuclear deal to undertake atomic energy projects in third countries.
- It will also be India’s first atomic energy venture abroad.
- Rooppur Nuclear project is having capacity of 2*1200 MWs. It is Bangladesh’s first atomic energy project. It is being built with Russia’s help near Dhaka.
3. India, Vietnam Calls Upon All Nations To Adopt Comprehensive Approach in Combating Terrorism:
- India and Vietnam unequivocally condemned terrorism in all its forms and manifestations, including cross-border terrorism.
- In a joint statement issued after the talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Vietnamese President Tran Dai Quang in New Delhi, both leaders have called upon all nations to adopt a comprehensive approach in combating terrorism, include countering radicalisation, recruitment, training and movement of foreign terrorist fighters and blocking sources of financing terrorism.
4. Indian shooter sets world record at his 1st-ever World Cup:
- Indian shooter, Shahzar Rizvi clinched the gold medal with a world record score in a memorable maiden ISSF World Cup appearance, while Jitu Rai grabbed bronze in the same event.
- The Meerut-based Rizvi shot a world record 242.3 in the 10m air pistol event’s final to beat reigning Olympic champion Christian Reitz of Germany, 239.7, to win the top prize.
- Mehuli Ghosh added another medal to India’s tally as she shot world junior record score to win bronze in the women’s 10m air rifle event.
5. India wins Snooker Team World Cup:
- The Indian Snooker team has lifted the first edition of IBSF Snooker Team World Cup title and won the prize money of $15,000.
- The Indian duo of Pankaj Advani and Manan Chandra defeated Pakistan (Muhammad Asif, Babar Masih) in the best-of-five final played in Doha
6. 19-year-old Afghan becomes youngest captain in Int’l cricket:
- Afghanistan spinner Rashid Khan became the youngest cricketer at 19 years, 165 days to captain a national side after leading the team as interim captain against Scotland on Sunday.
- Rashid recently became the youngest player to hold the top spot for any form of ICC men’s ranking, after being elevated to the top spot in ODI and T20I bowlers rankings.
7. Indian Navy sailboat INSV Tarini arrives in Cape Town, South Africa:
- Indian Navy’s sailboat INSV Tarini, led by all-women crew, reached Cape Town, South Africa as part of Navika Sagar Parikrama expedition.
- This stop is last phase of its maiden voyage to circumnavigate globe before it depart Cape Town and return to Goa in April 2018, on completion of the voyage.
- So far the vessel has covered 1,75,00 nautical miles from its start in Goa on September 10, 2017. The expedition was covered all five legs, with stop-overs at Fremantle (Australia), Lyttleton (New Zealand), Port Stanley (Falklands-UK), and Cape Town (South Africa). The vessel has passed through Indian, Pacific and Atlantic oceans so far.
8. ICG C-162: Bharati Defence delivers interceptor boat to Coast Guard
- Bharati Defence and Infrastructure Ltd (BDIL) delivered high-speed interceptor boat ICG C-162 to Indian Coast Guard (ICG) at BDIL jetty in Mangaluru, Karnataka.
- It is fifth interceptor boat delivered by BDIL’s Mangaluru shipyard to ICG. The sixth boat will be delivered after three-and-a-half months of the delivery of the fifth boat.
- The vessel will be based at Kochi, Kerala and will be used for patrolling purposes.