GK Update & Current Affairs: 7th October 2018
1. PM Modi Inaugurates First Uttarakhand Investors Summit In Dehradun
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the first Uttarakhand Investors Summit in Dehradun. All the leading business firms and industrial houses participated in the two-day event to explore investment opportunities in the hill state in 12 major sectors, including tourism and hospitality.
- PM stated that, in Uttarakhand any MSME loan upto 1 crore will be sanctioned fast. Mr Modi introduced a new meaning to SEZ, that is Spiritual EcoZone and said Uttarakhand Government should focus in this Sector.
2. The first Indo French Business Awards, IN2FRANCE Investment event to be held in India
- H.E. Mr. Alexandre Ziegler, Ambassador of France to India will be hosting the maiden edition of the Indo-French Business (IFB) Awards and the IN2FRANCE event in New Delhi on 11th October 2018.
- Co-organised by the Indo-French Chamber of Commerce and Industry (IFCCI) and Business France, the French Trade and Investment Commission in India, the occasion will bring together top officials and delegates from the Indo-French business community.
3. Country’s Biggest Skill Competition ‘India Skills 2018’ Concludes
- The country’s biggest skill competition, India Skills 2018 has concluded in New Delhi. The 164 winners were awarded by Minister of State for Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Anant Kumar Hegde.
- India Skills 2018 was the second edition of the nationwide competition organized by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship to identify, recognize, promote and reward the best talents in various skills.
- Some of the winners of the competition will be given additional training, before they represent India at the 45th World Skills Competition at Kazan, Russia in 2019.
4. ‘Nagaland’s Gandhi’ Natwar Thakkar Dies In Assam
- Eminent Gandhian Natwar Thakkar, popularly known as Nagaland’s Gandhi, died in a private hospital after a brief illness. He was 86. Mr. Thakkar, a Padma Shri awardee, had founded the Nagaland Gandhi Ashram at Chuchuyimlang.
- His efforts to spread Gandhian philosophy and peace had earned him the sobriquet ‘Nagaland’s Gandhi’. He was from Maharashtra and had made Nagaland his home ever since he had arrived in the State in 1955.
5. Railway Minister Lays Foundation Stone Of Two Key Railway Projects In Chhattisgarh
- In Chhattisgarh, Union Railway Minister Piyush Goyal and the state Chief Minister Raman Singh laid the foundation stone of two key railway projects. According to Piyush Goyal, the construction of a new railway line connecting Katghora-Mungeli-Kawardha-Dongargarh would accelerate the growth of the mineral rich region and bring prosperity.
- Mr Goyal was speaking at the function held in Kawardha to lay the foundation of the 295 kilometre project, which will be built at a cost of Rs 6,000 crore. On the occasion, the union minister also flagged off Korba-Raipur-Korba Hasdeo Express through video conferencing.
6. Brett Kavanaugh Sworn In As US Supreme Court Justice
- In USA, President Donald Trump’s controversial nominee Brett Kavanaugh was sworn in as the 114th Justice of the Supreme Court.
- Kavanaugh was officially sworn by outgoing Chief Justice John Roberts who administered the Constitutional Oath, hours after the 53-year-old judge was confirmed by a bitterly divided Senate by 50-48 votes.