1. Second National Deworming Day: 10 August
- The second round of National Deworming Day (NDD) is observed on 10 August in 33 States and Union Territories to tackle worm Infections, targeting more than 11 crore children.
- August 10, is the second round of National Deworming Day, held twice a year. The NDD program was launched in 2015. Under the NDD programme, children aged between 1-19 are provided deworming tablets in schools and anganwadis across the country, except in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh where deworming is carried out once a year.
2. Govt. fixes target of installing 60 Giga watt wind power capacity by 2022:
- According to the Power Minister ‘Piyush Goyal’, govt has fixed an ambitious target of installing 60 Giga watt (GW) wind power capacity in the country by 2022.
- The annual wind power capacity addition of around 5500 megawatts is required to meet wind capacity target of 60 GW.
- The current wind power installed capacity in the country is over 32.5 GW.
3. Govt. sets target of giving skill training to one crore people in next 3 years:
- According to the Minister of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Rajiv Pratap Rudy, the union govt. has set a target of providing skill training to one crore people in next three years under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana.
- The skill training will be provided through Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra, PMKK.
The target is to set up five hundred such Kendras in various parts of the country out of which two hundred are functional.
- A separate national skill certification board will be set up in the Ministry to enable the ITIs to provide equivalence to class 10th and 12th at par with CBSE and ICSE.
4. NCERT launches Web Portal for supply of NCERT ‘Textbooks’:
- Mr. Upendra Kushwaha (Minister of State for HRD) has launched the NCERT’s Web portal “ncertbooks.ncert.gov.in” for the supply of textbooks to schools and individuals at a function in New Delhi.
- The portal will ensure better distribution of textbooks across the country and address the concerns of schools and parents, regarding the unavailability of textbooks.
- Now, schools will be able to log on to the portal, by entering their respective Boards’ affiliation numbers and other details.
- The portal will be opened to the individual buyers very soon and they can also place their orders by login in onto the portal, and books will be delivered at their doorsteps with nominal postal charges.
- The NCERT textbooks can also be downloaded, free of cost, from its website.
5. Qatar scraps visit visa requirements for 80 nationalities:
- Qatar has announced the scrapping of visa requirements for visitors from 80 countries including India to host the Football World Cup 2022.
- Citizens of 33 mostly European countries can enter without a visa for 90 days in single or multiple trips during a 180-day period.
- Americans, Britons, Canadians, and citizens of 44 other countries can enter visa-free for an initial 30 days on single or multiple trips, and can extend that for a further 30 days.
6. Kerala, Haryana Top Sanitation Survey:
- According to the survey, almost all rural households in Kerala and Haryana had access to a toilet report. The survey is released by the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation and was carried out by the Quality Council of India (QCI).
- The survey, covering 4626 villages across all States and Union territories, claimed that 62.45% of the households had access to a toilet. Bihar and Uttar Pradesh has least access to toilets compared to other states.
7. Gujarat First State to Implement Coal Utilisation Between Power Units:
- The Gujarat government has issued a tender for power developers to receive cheap coal marked for the state in return for selling coal-based power at less than Rs 2.82 a unit.
- Through the auction, Gujarat will transfer the coal allocated to power generating stations owned by Gujarat State Electricity Corporation (GSECL) to more fuel-efficient private power plants. The aim is to reduce the cost of fuel for financially ailing distribution companies and ensure effective distribution of domestic coal.
8. India ratifies 2nd commitment period of ‘Kyoto Protocol’:
- India has ratified the second commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol that commits countries to contain the emission of greenhouse gases, reaffirming its stand on climate action.
- India deposited its Instrument of Acceptance of the Doha Amendment to the Kyoto Protocol under the UN Convention on Climate Change.
- Now, India has become the 80th country to accept the amendment relating to the second commitment period of the Kyoto Protocol, the international emissions reduction treaty.
9. BitBay launches trading platform for digital currency:
- BitBay, one of the top ten cryptocurrency trading platforms in the world, has launched a dedicated platform for trade and exchange of digital currencies such as bitcoin, litecoin, ether, Lisk, monero, dash and gamecredits.
- The company will also work towards creating awareness about digital currencies and also removing misconceptions related to these currencies in a market like India.
10. IDFC Bank partners with Zeta to launch IDFC bank benefits:
- IDFC Bank has partnered with digital payments company Zeta to launch ‘IDFC Bank Benefits’, an innovative solution for corporates that digitizes employee spends and claims, making the process simple, real-time and paperless.
- The Zeta app offers employees a real-time view of spends, reimbursement limits and claims.
- Employees can access the Benefits Card via the Zeta app on mobile or web.
11. SEBI launches online registration for custodians of securities:
- Securities and Exchange Board of India(SEBI) has introduced an online registration mechanism for custodians of securities to make it convenient for them to do business.
- The new system will help custodian of securities to complete registration and other regulatory filings with SEBI much faster and in a cost-effective manner.
- All applicants desirous of seeking registration as a Custodian of Securities are now required to submit their applications online only, through SEBI Intermediary Portal.
12. Asian Shotgun Championship: Kynan, Shreyasi win bronze in mixed team trap event:
- The Indian pair ‘Kynan Chenai’ & ‘Shreyasi Singh’ have won bronze in mixed team trap event in Asian Shotgun Shooting Championship in Astana, Kazakhstan.
- They defeated Lebanon shooters 40-38. Earlier, Kynan Chenai had won bronze in men’s trap event.
13. Kenya’s Kipruto claims 3,000m steeplechase world title:
- Olympic gold medallist ‘Conseslus Kipruto’ has won the men’s 3,000 meters steeplechase at the IAAF World Athletics Championships in London.
- The Kenyan clocked eight minutes and 14.12 seconds to continue his in-form performance in the event after the Rio Olympic Games last year.
14. Bollywood actor Sitaram Panchal passes away:
- Bollywood actor Sitaram Panchal (54-year) passed away after battling kidney and lung cancer. He was 54.
- The actor made his Bollywood debut with Bandit Queen (in 1994) and went on to feature in critically-acclaimed films such as, Peepli Live, Slumdog Millionaire, Paan Singh Tomar and Jolly LLB 2.