GK Update & Current Affairs: 10th August 2018
1. World Biofuel Day: 10 August
- The World Biofuel Day is observed every year on August 10 to create awareness about the importance of non-fossil fuels as an alternative to conventional fossil fuels. The World Biofuel Day is being observed by the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas.
- On the occasion, PM of India, Narendra Modi unveiled a Booklet on “National Policy on Biofuels 2018”, and launched “Pro-Active and Responsive facilitation by Interactive and Virtuous Environmental Single window Hub”[PARIVESH].
2. Global Innovation Index, GII- 2018 Launched In India
- The Global Innovation Index 2018 was launched in New Delhi by Ratan P Watal, Principal Adviser, NITI Aayog & Member Secretary of the Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister.
- The event was organized by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) – one of the founding partners of GII along with the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), in collaboration with the Department of Industrial Policy and Promotion (DIPP).
- India’s rank on the Global Innovation Index (GII) has improved from 60 in 2017 to 57 in 2018. India has been consistently climbing the GII ranking for the past two years.
3. NITI Aayog Hosts Investors’ Conference in Andaman & Nicobar, and Lakshadweep Islands
- NITI Aayog hosted an Investors’ Conference at Pravasi Bharatiya Kendra for the Holistic Development of Islands along with the respective UT Administration. The Conference was inaugurated by Amitabh Kant, CEO, NITI Aayog.
- It attracted investment for the sustainable development of eco-tourism projects in Andaman & Nicobar and Lakshadweep islands.
4. President Ram Nath Kovind Inaugurates ‘One District One Product’ Summit
- The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind, inaugurated the ‘One District One Product’ Summit in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh. The special emphasis was laid on micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs).
- Under the ‘One District One Product’ scheme, the state government has set a goal of providing employment to 25 lakh people in five years through the financial assistance of Rs. 25,000 crores.
5. Google Launches Video Q&A App Cameos Aimed At Celebrities
- Google has launched a new video-based Q&A app called ‘Cameos’ on the App Store, which allows people to answer questions about themselves, then share those answers directly on Google.
- The app is aimed at celebrities and other public figures, who are often the subject of people’s Google searches.
6. Chile’s Michelle Bachelet To Be Next UN Human Rights Chief
- The United Nations announced that UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has chosen former Chilean President Michelle Bachelet to be the UN’s new human rights chief. Bachelet would be succeeding Jordanian diplomat Zeid Ra’ad al-Hussein.
- Bachelet’s name will now go forward for consideration and approval by the 193-member UN General Assembly.
7. PayPal, HDFC Bank Partner to Offer Seamless Payment Experiences
- PayPal, a digital payments platform has announced its strategic partnership with and HDFC Bank to offer safer, faster and convenient payment experiences for the bank’s cardholders.
- The partnership will create a number of joint growth opportunities that will advance PayPal and HDFC Bank’s shared vision of offering consumers greater choice and flexibility in managing their money.
8. HSBC Launched Online Platform ‘MyDeal’ To Raise Funds Via Capital Markets
- Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) has launched a new digital platform ‘MyDeal’ to simplify capital raising process through capital markets by providing real-time access to information such as investors’ feedback, profiles, client orders and deal pricing.
- The platform contains all the information relating to a client’s capital markets transaction and is updated on real-time basis.
9. Neeraj Chopra India’s Flag Bearer At Asian Games 2018 Opening Ceremony
- Javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra will be the flag bearer for the Indian contingent at the opening ceremony of the Asian Games 2018. The 20-year-old has won a gold medal in World Junior Championships, Asian Championships, South Asian Games and Commonwealth Games in his career so far.
- The Haryana athlete equalled the national record when he recorded a throw of 82.23m at the 2016 South Asian Games.
10. Australian Professional Golfer Jarrod Lyle Passes Away
- Australian professional golfer Jarrod Lyle has died after a long battle with cancer, aged 36.
- The Australian won twice on the feeder Web.com tour in 2008 and played 121 US PGA Tour tournaments during his professional career.