Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 10th October 2017
1. World Mental Health Day: 10 October
- World Mental Health Day is observed on 10 October every year, with the overall objective of raising awareness of mental health issues around the world and mobilizing efforts in support of mental health.
- ‘Mental health in the workplace’ is the theme of World Mental Health Day 2017.
2. Union Home Minister inaugurates the first BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise:
- The Union Home Minister ‘Shri Rajnath Singh’ has inaugurated the four-day First ‘BIMSTEC Disaster Management Exercise- 2017’ (BIMSTEC DMEx-2017).
- The Exercise has been conducted by the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) as the lead agency on 10-13 October 2017. The BIMSTEC DMEx-2017 is being conducted in two phases in Delhi and NCR.
- The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is an international organization involving a group of countries in South Asia and South-East Asia.
- These 7 countries are Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Bhutan, and Nepal.
3. India Slips to 8th Rank in Valuable Nation Brand List:
- India is ranked the eighth most valuable nation brand while the United States retained its top position and China took the second spot in the league of nations according to Brand Finance’s Nation Brands 2017.
- India went down one spot over the previous year because the economy grew at its slowest pace. India switched places with Canada and its brand value dropped by one percentage point while that of Canada’s rose 14 percent. China, the fastest growing nation brand in 2017, saw valuation grow 44 percent. The Top 10 Valuable Nation brands are: 1. United States, China, Germany, Japan & United Kingdom.
4. Jagdish Mukhi takes oath as Governor of Assam:
- Prof. Jagdish Mukhi (74-years) has been administered the oath of office by Gauhati High Court Chief Justice, Ajit Singh at a function in Gauhati.
- Earlier, Prof Mukhi served as the Lieutenant Governor of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
The governors of the states have similar powers and functions at the state level as that of the President of India at Union level.
- The governor acts as the nominal head whereas the real power lies with the chief ministers of the states and their councils of ministers.
5. Vice President inaugurates 3rd Intl. Conference on Yoga:
- Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu has inaugurated the third International Conference on Yoga in New Delhi.
- The theme of this year’s conference is ‘Yoga for Wellness’. Experts will deliberate on the scope of yoga in integrated medicine, and control of cancer, depression, gynecological disorders and pain management.
- Around 500 delegates from 44 countries are attending the conference to provide a common platform to AYUSH and allopathy practitioners, researchers, academicians, policymakers and students.
6. Uttarakhand Government Launched ‘Solar Briefcase’ to Provide Electricity in Remote Areas:
- Uttarakhand State Government and a charitable funding agency named Swan Cultural Center and Foundation launched ‘Solar Briefcase’ in Kedarnath Dham.
- The initiative was taken to provide electricity to far-flung areas in the hill state.
7. J&K govt launches Aadhaar enrolment drive for students:
- The Jammu and Kashmir (J&K) govt. has started an Aadhaar enrolment drive for nearly 14 lakh school children in the state.
- Aadhaar enrolment centres have been set up in Phase-1 in six districts of the state which includes Shopian, Pulwama, Anantnag, Dodha, Kishtwar, and Samba.
- The rest of the districts will be covered in Phase-2 for which the necessary equipment, machinery, and other measures are being undertaken.
8. Haryana govt to provide 50 pc subsidy on onion seed:
- Haryana Govt. has decided to provide 50% subsidy on onion seed on the first-come-first-serve basis to encourage farming of kharif onion in the state.
- The maximum amount limit of subsidy on the onion seed is 500 rupees per kg seed or 50%, whichever is less would be provided.
- The maximum quantity of seed provided is 10 kg per hectare per farmer. Now, farmers can obtain the seed of different varieties of kharif onion from seed sales centres of Haryana Seed Development Corporation and National Horticultural Research and Development Foundation by just depositing their share of the amount according to rules.
9. IIT Kharagpur Signs MoU with Samsung for Digital Academy:
- IIT-Kharagpur has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Samsung India for the setting up of a digital academy on the institute’s campus.
- The Department of Computer Science and Engineering in the institute will host the Samsung Innovation Lab and train students on the Internet of Things (IoT) through Tizen-based operating systems, commonly used by the company for its mobile phones and home appliances.
10. GCMMF Awarded Best FMCG in Food Sector by IAA:
- The Gujarat Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation (GCMMF), which manages brand AMUL, has been awarded as the best FMCG in the food sector at the 5th International Advertising Associations (IAA) Leadership Awards in Mumbai
- Amul is India’s largest food brand with the annual brand turnover of Rs 38,000 crore. It is a cooperative milk federation of 3.6 million milk producers of Gujarat.
11. PepsiCo India Chairman and CEO D Shivakumar Resigns:
- PepsiCo India Holdings Pvt. Ltd’s Chairman and Chief Executive officer D. Shivakumar has resigned. He will be joining Aditya Birla Group as president (corporate strategy and business development).
- Ahmed El Sheikh, currently senior vice-president and general manager for PepsiCo Egypt and Jordan, will succeed Shivakumar as PepsiCo India CEO.
12. Facebook India Managing Director Umang Bedi steps down:
- Managing Director of Facebook India and South Asia Umang Bedi has stepped down from his position, the social media giant announced on Tuesday.
- Bedi was appointed in 2016 after serving as the Managing Director of the South Asia region at Adobe. Sandeep Bhushan, Facebook’s Director of Consumer and Media in South Asia, has been appointed as the interim head.
13. World Bank Reduces India GDP Growth Forecast to 7% for 2017-18:
- In the June quarter of 2017-18, the Indian economy decelerated to 5.7%, lowest since the economy grew at 5.3% in the March quarter of 2013-14. In its South Asia Economic Focus (Fall 2017), the World Bank reduced India’s GDP growth forecast to 7% for 2017-18 from 7.2% estimated earlier.
- Both the Asian Development Bank as well as the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) have also cut their growth projections for India to 7% and 6.7%, respectively, for fiscal 2017-18.
14. Reliance Commercial Finance Inks Agreement with IREDA for Rs 300 cr Loan:
- Reliance Commercial Finance Ltd has signed an agreement with Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Ltd (IREDA) for Rs.300 crore loan, in Mumbai.
- RCFL finances wind and solar energy projects besides providing assistance for developing infrastructure and projects in renewable energy space backed by the government.