Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 10th September 2017
1. India Win 2nd SABA U-16 Championship:
- India has won 2nd South Asian Basketball, SABA, Under – 16 Championship. India defeated Bhutan by 131-50 in its last league match at Kathmandu in Nepal.
- India remained unbeaten in its all four matches and accumulated 8 points. Bangladesh finished second and host Nepal third.
- The championship was played in a round robin league format. India has now qualified for 2017 International Basketball Federation, FIBA, Under-16 Asian Championship to be played in Malaysia later this year.
2. Sloane Stephens wins Women’s Singles Title in US Open 2017:
- Unseeded American Sloane Stephens lifted the US Open women’s singles title. Sloane ranked 83rd completed a spectacular return from injury to beat 15th seed Keys 6-3, 6-0 in the finals.
- The 24-year-old was ranked as low as 957th six weeks ago went on to become only the fifth unseeded woman to win a major title in the Open era. Sloane stunned Venus Williams in the semifinal.
3. Martina Hingis-Jamie Murray wins US Open mixed doubles title:
- Switzerland`s Martina Hingis and Britain`s Jamie Murray fought off a match point to defeat Hao-Ching Chan and Michael Venus 6-1 4-6 (10-8) to claim the U.S. Open mixed doubles title.
- The top-seeded partnership, which won their first tournament together at Wimbledon in July, pushed their team record to an unblemished 10-0 with the win over the number three seed.
4. New species of edible fish found in Pampa river in Kerala:
- A group of researchers discovered a new species of edible freshwater fish while exploring the waters of the Pampa river in Pathanamthitta in Kerala.
- As per the researchers, the newly found fish could possibly be farmed on a commercial scale.
- The new species belongs to the Labeo genus. The species is named as Labeo filiferus.
- The name filiferus was taken from Latin and refers to the very long dorsal fin of the species.
5. SIM Cards not Linked to Aadhaar to be Deactivated after February 2018:
- The government is moving ahead with linking Aadhaar with mobile SIM cards and all unlinked phones will be deactivated after February 2018.
- Aadhaar mobile linkage is being done as per the orders of Supreme Court passed in February 2017 in Lokniti foundation case and all SIM cards have to be verified with Aadhaar within a year from the date of judgement, with all unlinked phones to be deactivated after February next year. So criminals, fraudsters and terrorists cannot use the issued SIMs.
6. Nirmala Sitharaman flags off Navika Sagar Parikrama:
- Union Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Sunday flagged off the all-women team of the ‘Navika Sagar Parikrama’ in Panaji, Goa.
- The crew of the ‘Sagar Parikrama’ comprises of six-member all women team on board the sailing vessel INSV Tarini and will circumnavigate the globe in approximately 165 days.
7. UP Police launches Shakti, Garuda bike squads for patrolling:
- UP Police launched two bike squads called Shakti, the female squad, and Garuda, the male squad, to patrol Noida and Greater Noida.
- While Shakti squad would be responsible for ensuring women’s safety, the Garuda squad would monitor traffic. Both the squads have been given 50 bikes and scooters, which are equipped with public addressing system including sirens and loudspeakers.
8. Ram Jethmalani announces retirement, terms NDA’s governance a calamity:
- Noted jurist Ram Jethmalani on Saturday announced his retirement from over seven-decade-long career as an advocate.
- Referring the present status of governance as the calamity, the 94-year-old former BJP leader said that the country is not in a good shape.