1. India ranks 43rd in 2017 Global Retirement Index:
- India has ranked last at 43rd position in 2017 Global Retirement Index (GRI) published by French asset management company Natixis Global.
- The Global Retirement Index ranks 43 countries on the basis of four factors, which are the material means to live comfortably in retirement (Material Well-being), access to quality financial services to help preserve savings value and maximize income (Finances), access to quality health services (Health), and a clean and safe environment (Quality of Life).
- Top three countries in 2017 GRI are Norway, Switzerland, and Iceland.
2. Venkaiah Naidu sworn in as Vice President of India:
- Today, former Union Minister ‘Muppavarapu Venkaiah Naidu (68-year) has sworn in as the 13th Vice President of India.
- He has been administered the oath of office and secrecy by President ‘Ram Nath Kovind’ at a special function in the Durbar Hall of Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- Earlier, Naidu was elected as the Vice President by defeating opposition candidate Gopal Krishna Gandhi (Mahatma Gandhi’s grandson).
- The Vice-President of India is elected by an electoral college consisting of Elected and nominated members of both houses (Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha) of Parliament.
3. 15th BIMSTEC Ministerial meeting was held in Kathmandu:
- The 15th edition of Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) ministerial meeting was held in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- The two-day meet was inaugurated by Prime Minister of Nepal Sher Bahadur Deuba and will be chaired by Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Foreign Affairs Krishna Bahadur Mahara. India was represented by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.
- The BIMSTEC is a sub-regional grouping comprising of seven countries of South Asia and South East Asia. It was established on 6 June 1997 through the Bangkok Declaration. It is headquartered at Dhaka, Bangladesh.
4. NGT bans the use of non-biodegradable plastic bags in Delhi:
- The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has imposed an interim ban on the use of non-biodegradable plastic bags which are less than 50 microns in the entire Delhi.
- An environment compensation of Rs. 5,000 on anyone found in possession of such banned plastic.
- The tribunal directed Delhi government to seize the entire stock of plastic within one week.
- Earlier, the green panel had banned the use of disposable plastic in Delhi and NCR with effect from 1st January 2017.
5. The New Clean Ganga Campaign Launched by UP Government (Namami Gange Jagriti Yatra):
- Uttar Pradesh Government has launched a new awareness drive called Namami Gange Jagriti Yatra.
- The drive will be focusing on cleanliness along the banks of Ganga river and maintain hygiene.
- The drive will be covering a total area of around 1,025 kms. It will pass through 108 blocks of 25 districts of UP from Bijnore to Ballia alongside the Ganga river.
6. India and US to co-host Global Entrepreneurship Summit:
- India and US are going to co-host the Global Entrepreneurship Summit at Hyderabad, Telangana from 28th to 30th November 2017. The American delegation will be led by US President Donald Trump’s daughter Ivanka Trump.
- The Summit will serve as a unique opportunity for bringing together entrepreneurs and start-ups with global leaders. Earlier it was hosted by the US State Department.
- The three-day Global Entrepreneurship Summit will be organised by the NITI (National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog in coordination with Ministry of External Affairs.
7. Lok Sabha Passes Bill Approving Merger of Associate Banks with SBI:
- The Lok Sabha passed a bill that approved merger of associate banks with the SBI with the government.
- The Lok Sabha passed the bill to repeal the SBI (Subsidiary Banks) Act 1959, State Bank of Hyderabad Act 1956 and to further amend the State Bank of India Act, 1955, following the merger of five associates with the parent SBI.
- State Bank of Bikaner and Jaipur (SBBJ), State Bank of Hyderabad (SBH), State Bank of Mysore (SBM), State Bank of Patiala (SBP) and State Bank of Travancore (SBT) merged with SBI on 1 April along with the Bharatiya Mahila Bank.
8. Rajya Sabha passes Banking Regulation Bill:
- Parliament has passed the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Bill, 2017 with the Rajya Sabha approving it, the Lok Sabha has already passed it.
- Now, the wilful defaulters will not be spared and prosecutions are being launched against them.
- The Non-Performing Assets (NPA) in the banks stand at 6.41 lakh crore in the public-sector banks while total stressed assets are at 8.02 lakh crore.
- The bill seeks to amend the Banking Regulation Act, 1949 to insert provisions for handling cases related to stressed assets of banks.
9. NSDC & Google India to launch mobile app development program:
- The National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and Google India has launched the Android Skill Development Programme to impart mobile app development training on the Android and Web platform.
- It will also improve the quality of mobile app development ecosystem in India.
Now, NSDC would introduce a specific course to create applications for the mobile platform that can be used on smart phones and tablets running on the Android operating system.
10. Facebook Launches Youtube Competitor Called ‘Watch’:
- In an apparent bid to take on Google-owned YouTube, Facebook has rolled out ‘Watch’, a redesigned video platform for creators and publishers.
- Watch is a platform for all creators and publishers to find an audience, build a community of passionate fans, and earn money for their work. It is personalized to one in discovering new shows, organized around what your friends and communities are watching.
11. Davinder Singh Kang, First Indian to Qualify for Javelin Throw Finals:
- Davinder Singh Kang has become the first Indian to qualify for the final round of the javelin throw World Championships while his compatriot Neeraj Chopra crashed out in the qualification round.
- He had an 82.22m in his opening throw and then came up with 82.14m in his second. No Indian has ever qualified in the men’s javelin throw final round in any world championship.