Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 11th October 2017
1. Anupam Kher replaces Gajendra Chauhan as FTII Chairman:
- Anupam Kher has been appointed the new Chairman of the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII), succeeding television actor Gajendra Chauhan. The appointment of Gajendra in 2015 had led to protests by students, resulting in a 139-day long strike.
- Gajendra served as the FTII Chairman for one year and seven months out of the total tenure of three years.
- Mr Kher has appeared in over 500 films and has been part of the theatre circles. He has previously held the post of chairman of the Central Board of Film Certification and the National School of Drama.
2. International Day of the Girl Child being observed today:
- The International Day of the Girl Child (IDGC) is observed every year across the world on 11th October (6th- edition) to recognize girls’ rights and challenges girls face around the world.
- The theme of 2017 is “EmPOWER girls: emergency response and resilience planning”.
- On the occasion, Women and Child Development Minister Maneka Sanjay Gandhi addressed a panel discussion on the Role of Sports in the Empowerment of Girls in New Delhi.
- On December 2011, the United Nations General Assembly adopted Resolution to declare 11th October as the International Day.
3. ‘Sex With Minor Wife is to be Considered Rape’: Supreme Court:
- In a landmark verdict, the Supreme Court of India ruled that sex with a wife who is under 18 years of age is rape and therefore a crime. The top court did not rule on ‘marital rape’, which is sexual intercourse forced upon a spouse no matter what their age.
- Before SC ruling, there was an exception in Section 375 rape law provisions that protected a man who had sexual relations with his wife even if she was under 18, which is the age of consent. Exception 2 in Section 375 of IPC (Indian Penal Code) granting protection to husband is violation of the constitution and fundamental rights of minor bride, according to the Supreme Court.
- The top court’s verdict upholds the rights of 2.3 crore child brides in the country.
- A Bench of Justices Madan B. Lokur and Deepak Gupta read down exception 2 to Section 375 (rape) of the Indian Penal Code.
4. President presents Lal Bahadur Shastri National award to Bindeshwar Pathak:
- President Ram Nath Kovind has presented 18th Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award to ‘Dr. Bindeshwar Pathak’ for Excellence in Public Administration, Academics, and Management.
- Bindeshwar Pathak has contributed immensely in the direction of getting rid of the practice of manual scavenging.
- Bindeshwar Pathak is the founder of Sulabh International and has developed and implemented a low cost and appropriate toilet technology popularly known as the Sulabh Shauchalaya system.
5. Nisha Desai Biswal appointed as President of USIBC:
- Former Indian-American assistant secretary of South and central Asia ‘Nisha Desai Biswal’ has been appointed as the President of US India Business Council (USIBC).
- In 1975, the U.S. India Business Council (USIBC) was formed as a business advocacy organization to enlighten and encourage the private sectors of both India and US to enhance investment flows.
- She previously served as the Assistant Administrator for Asia at the US Agency for International Development (USAID).
6. V M Kwatra Appointed Ambassador to Principality of Monaco:
- Shri Vinay Mohan Kwatra has been concurrently accredited as the next Ambassador of India to the Principality of Monaco, with residence in Paris.
- Mr Kwatra is presently Ambassador of India to France.
7. Japan launches fourth Michibiki satellite for hi-tech GPS:
- The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) successfully launched Michibiki-4 satellite (QZSS-4) onboard of H-IIA rocket from Tanegashima Space Centre.
- It was fourth satellite in Michibiki series i.e. Quasi-Zenith Satellite System (QZSS), which is a satellite-based high-precision global positioning system similar to US operated GPS. Moreover, it was 36th H-IIA vehicle to be launched so far and fifth launch of an H-IIA rocket in 2017.
- Michibiki-4 is third QZSS satellite to be launched in 2017 and once operational it will bring the constellation of QZSS to its operating capacity of four until a planned expansion to 8 satellites occurs around 2023.
8. Bihar to provide reservation to persons with disabilities in govt jobs:
- Bihar state cabinet has approved reservations for persons with disabilities in govt. jobs and educational institutions.
- The provision has been brought in accordance with the Persons With Disabilities Act, 2016.
- The cabinet also approved the establishment of a state advisory board for the empowerment of ‘Divyangjan’ as envisaged in the Act.
- Secretaries of various departments will serve as members of the board and it will also comprise representatives from districts.
9. Himachal Pradesh Implements Senior Citizen Health Insurance Scheme:
- Himachal Pradesh government implemented the Senior Citizen Health Insurance Scheme (SCHIS) to provide easy access to curative geriatric health care services by way of additional cover.
- The scheme would provide top-up coverage of Rs 30,000 per senior citizen to all existing Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojna (RSBY) smart card holders. This would be in addition to the basic coverage of Rs 30,000 in Trust and Society mode.
10. Maharashtra Launched Web Portal with Information on New Government Schemes:
- Chief minister Devendra Fadnavis launched ‘MahaLabharthi‘ web portal that will help people get information about all the government schemes that they are eligible for.
- The web portal, https://www.mahalabharthi.in, works on the basis of personal, educational and professional information provided by a person while registering on it.
11. Visa, Andhra Pradesh Ties up for Digital Dhan Sankalp Project:
- Visa has tied up with the Andhra Pradesh government for Digital Dhan Sankalp project. It is an initiative to develop Visakhapatnam into India’s first ‘less cash’ city.
- The e-transformation of large state-owned service providers of the state into digital payments mode under the Vizag Digital Dhan Sankalp (VDDS) project is now accessible to over 90 percent of the city’s two million-strong population.
12. Priyanka Chopra named Power of Women honouree by ‘Variety’:
- Actress Priyanka Chopra has been named as one of the Power of Women honourees by American magazine ‘Variety’.
- Other personalities who have been honoured by the magazine this year are Michelle Pfeiffer, Kelly Clarkson, Patty Jenkins, and Octavia Spencer.
- “Grateful and humbled to be honored alongside such talented women,” wrote Priyanka, who currently serves as a UNICEF Global Goodwill Ambassador.
13. IMF Trims India growth Forecast for Current Financial Year to 6.7 %:
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has trimmed India’s growth forecast for Financial Year 2017-18. In its latest World Economic Outlook released, the IMF lowered India’s growth forecast for 2017 to 6.7% from its earlier estimate of 7.2 percent.
- As per IMF, India is expected to regain the fastest growing major economy tag next year when it is forecast to grow 7.4 percent, slower than earlier estimate of 7.7 percent but higher than China’s 6.5 percent.
14. ICICI Bank Aid to Armed Forces:
- ICICI Bank, the country’s largest private sector bank by consolidated assets, committed financial assistance of Rs. 10 crore to the Indian Armed Forces.
- This contribution by ICICI Bank would be made in two equal tranches. This fund will be used for two programs. The first will support post-graduation education of the widows of the soldiers and education for their wards. The second program will provide financial assistance for marriages of the daughters of ex-servicemen.
15. Iceland to enter FIFA World Cup:
- Iceland has become the smallest country ever to qualify for the final stage of the FIFA World Cup, after topping its qualifying group.
- The island nation has a population of over 3,34,000 with over 20,000 registered football players. Last year, Iceland played its first major tournament, the UEFA European Championship, where the team defeated England and reached the quarter-final stage.
16. FIFA suspends Pakistan from international football:
- FIFA has suspended Pakistan Football Federation with immediate effect, following which the national and club teams will not be allowed to take part in international competitions till the suspension is lifted.
- FIFA suspended PFF since its accounts were in control of a court-appointed administrator, which is against FIFA rules. The suspension will be lifted when the body becomes independent.
17. Indian Pair Win Gold at World Archery Youth Championship 2017:
- The mixed pair of Jemson Ningthoujam and Ankita Bhakat clinched the gold medal as India returned with three medals from the World Archery Youth Championship in Rosario, Argentina.
- This is India’s first world title at the youth championships since Deepika Kumari’s victories in 2009 and 2011. India also bagged one silver and one bronze in a promising show by the youngsters.