Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 11th September 2017
1. 3rd Generation ATGM NAG successfully test fired:
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has successfully twice flight tested indigenously developed 3rd generation Anti-Tank Guided Missile (ATGM) Nag in Rajasthan.
- During the test, ATGM Nag missile has successfully hit both the targets under different ranges and conditions with very high accuracy.
- The missile has been designed mainly to destroy modern main battle tanks and other heavily armoured targets.
- It can be launched from land and air-based platforms. It has operational range of 500m to 4km (Land version) and 7-10km (when air-launched).
2. Venkaiah Naidu Laid Foundation of Country’s First ‘Green-Field’ Smart City:
- Country’s Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu laid the foundation for building the nation’s first Greenfield smart city project in Heavy Engineering Corporation(HEC) of Ranchi.
- The smart city is coming up on 656 acres of HEC land which would be fully wi-fi, carbon free, garbage free locality with modernized housing, traffic management system and education hub.
3. PM Modi address students on theme of ‘Young India, New India’:
- Today, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has addressed a gathering of students at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi on the theme of ‘Young India, New India’.
- The convention of students is being held to mark the historic address of ‘Swami Vivekananda delivered at Chicago in 1893.
- This year, the country is marking the 125th anniversary of Swami Vivekananda’s Chicago address and Pt. Deendayal Upadhyaya centenary celebrations.
- Swami Vivekananda strongly believed in the power of Yuva Shakti and saw a vital place for youngsters in the realm of nation building.
4. Government to launch Project Insight:
- The Union Finance Ministry is planning to launch ‘Project Insight’ from October 2017 to monitor high-value transactions and detect tax evaders using technology with a view to curbing circulation of black money.
To implement the project government has signed contract with Information Technogolgy major L&T Infotect Ltd.
- The project will add to list of efforts made by government to curb black money like Operation Clean Money’ after demonetisation, Income Disclosure Scheme, GST implementation, amendment DTAA with other countries etc.
5. Sahara Forest Project centre in Jorden:
- The Sahara Forest Project signs deal to realize facility in Jordan. With funding from the Norwegian Ministry of Climate and Environment and Grieg Foundation, the Sahara Forest Project starts building in Aqaba (Aqaba is a Jordanian port city on the Red Sea’s Gulf of Aqaba).
- The facility, part of the Sahara Forest Project (SFP), produces “energy, freshwater and food and all this in an arid desert.
6. South Asian Women Development Forum to organise summit at Kathmandu:
- The South Asian Women Development Forum (SAWDF) is organizing two days ‘Across Barriers-International Business Women’s Summit’ at Kathmandu, Nepal.
- The event aims to encourage partnerships between women entrepreneurs from the SAARC and ASEAN member countries and China.
- Around 80 delegates from 18 countries would be participating in the event.
The basic objective is to bring together people from different sectors on a single platform and enable them to share their knowledge, skills, experience, and ideas.
7. Shaheen VI: China-Pakistan Air Forces Joint Exercise:
- The air forces of China and Pakistan began a joint training exercise named “Shaheen VI” and deployed their latest fighter jets and AWACS aircraft.
- China has dispatched J-11 fighters, JH-7 fighter-bombers, KJ-200 AWACS aircraft and ground forces including surface-to-air missile and radar troops.
- The exercise will run in China. AWACS is Airborne Warning And Control System, a mobile, long-range radar surveillance and control centre for air defence.
8. Upendra Kushwaha confers CBSE Teacher Awards 2016-17:
- Minister of State for Human Resources Development ‘Upendra Kushwaha’ has conferred CBSE Teacher Awards 2016-17 to 33 teachers of various independent schools across the country for their distinguished contribution towards raising the standards of education.
- The award comprises of 50 thousand rupees in cash and a shawl.
9. Netaji statue unveiled at the naval base in Kolkata:
- An eight feet bronze statue of Indian freedom struggle leader ‘Subhas Chandra Bose’ was unveiled at the naval base INS Netaji Subhas at Kolkata.
- The Statute has been unveiled by Mr. Krishna Bose (Niece-in-law of Netaji) and Vice Admiral H.C.S. Bisht (Eastern Naval Command Chief) by cutting the ribbon together.
- Patriotic songs were played and tricolored balloons released into the air on occasion of the joyous unveiling ceremony.
10. PNB, BSNL Join Hands for Mobile Wallet Speedpay Rollout:
- Punjab National Bank and state-run firm BSNL teamed up to roll out open mobile wallet Speedpay across 10 states in the country.
- PNB Speedway wallet will operate like any other mobile wallet for paying bills, recharging phone besides its users will be able to deposit and withdraw money from authorized retail outlets.
- Under the agreement, BSNL will expand Speedpay services in Punjab, Chandigarh(UT), Haryana, Jammu and Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, West Bengal, Jharkhand, and Uttarakhand.
11. Second Indian Workers’ Resource Centre Inaugurated in UAE:
- Indian Ambassador in UAE Navdeep Singh Suri inaugurated the second Indian Workers’ Resource Centre (IWRC) in UAE to provide support and counseling to Indians in distress.
- IWRC provides counseling and support to the overseas Indian Community on legal, personal and financial matters, free of cost. IWRC will provide support and guidance to any member of the Indian community in any such distress situation.
12. IndusInd Bank and Bharat Financial Inclusion Sign Exclusivity Agreement for Merger:
- Private sector lender IndusInd Bank and India’s second largest Microfinance company Bharat Financial Inclusion have signed a confidentiality agreement for the proposed merger between them.
- The Hinduja Group controlled bank has informed the exchanges about an ‘exclusivity agreement’ with the micro lender to explore merger or expansion plans.
- The deal between the two companies may formalise after due diligence, definitive documentation and their shareholders, regulatory, NCLT and other third-party approvals, as applicable.
13. Rafael Nadal wins 2017 US Open title:
- World number one Rafael Nadal (Spain) won the 2017 US Open title in men’s single category. It was his overall 16th Grand Slam title and third US Open title (2010 and 2013).
- In the final match played at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York City, Nadal defeated world number 32, Kevin Anderson from South Africa’s by 6-3, 6-3, 6-4 score.
- Jean-Julien Rojer (Netherlands) and Horia Tecau (Romania) pair won the Men’s double title by defeating Spanish pair of Feliciano López and Marc López by 6–4, 6–3 score.
- Chan Yung-jan (Chinese Taipei) and Martina Hingis (Switzerland) pair won the Women’s double title by defeating Lucie Hradecká and Kateřina Siniaková from Czech Republic by 6–3, 6–2 score.
14. India Finishes 5th at Moscow Shotgun World Championships:
- India has finished fifth in the medals tally with one gold and two silver medals at the Moscow Shotgun World Championships. Only 16 of the 76 participating nations got amongst the medals and Italy topped the tally with nine gold medals for a total of 17 medals in all.
- Both their Olympic skeet champions Gabrielle Rossetti and Diana Bacosi were also crowned world champions in the process.
- The USA stood second with five gold medals for a total of 12. Hosts Russia were third in the overall tally with two golds for a total of eight.