Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 12th July 2018
1. PM Modi Inaugurates New Headquarters Building of ASI
• Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the new Headquarters building of the Archaeological Survey of India in New Delhi.
• The new Headquarters building is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities, including energy-efficient lighting and rainwater harvesting. It will also include a Central Archaeological Library with a collection of about one lakh 50 thousand books and journals.
2. Gujarat Approves Rs 39-crore ‘Seema Darshan’ Project
• Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has given in-principle approval for the 39-crore rupees ‘Seema Darshan’ project for developing more infrastructure facilities from T-Junction to Zero Point at Nadabet near Suigam in Banaskantha district to instil patriotism through a unique Gujarat initiative for border tourism.
• The project being developed on Wagah Border pattern, entails an exhibition hall, a parade ground with an amphitheatre for 5,000 people.
3. 1st India Tourism Mart To Be Held In New Delhi
• The first India Tourism Mart will be organized in New Delhi in September 2018 to create a global tourism mart for India on lines of major international travel marts.
• The Mart will provide a platform for stakeholders in the tourism and hospitality industries to interact and transact business opportunities. Tourism Minister K J Alphons announced that the 3 days long event will boost the tourism sector in the country.
4. MoU on Defence Salary Package Signed Between Indian Army And SBI
• An MoU was signed between the Indian Army and State Bank of India on the Defence Salary Package. The signing-in ceremony was chaired by the Director-General (MP&PS), Lt Gen SK Saini in Mumbai.
• The first MoU between SBI and the Indian Army was signed in 2011 and was renewed on 23 Feb 2015. This MoU will benefit a large number of serving and retired Army personnel who are having their accounts with SBI.
5. Forbes Releases 2018 List of America’s Richest Self-Made Women
• Forbes released its fourth annual list of America’s Richest Self-Made Women. These 60 women, who have a record combined net worth of $71 billion, up 15% from $61.5 billion in 2017.
• Diane Hendricks, co-founder and chairman of ABC Supply, the nation’s largest roofing distributor, reclaims the top spot, with a net worth of $4.9 billion. Marian Ilitch, worth $4.3 billion, falls to the No. 2 spot.
• Kylie Jenner, who at not even 21 years old has built a $900 million cosmetics fortune with virtually no employees or capital. Kylie Cosmetics launched two years ago and has since sold more than $630 million worth of makeup.
6. UN Security Council Adopts Resolution To Protect Children In Armed Conflict
• The UN Security Council adopted a resolution 2427, aimed at a framework for mainstreaming protection, rights, well-being and empowerment of children throughout the conflict cycle.
• Resolution 2427, which won unanimous approval of the 15 members of the council, strongly condemns the recruitment and use of children by parties to armed conflict as well as their re-recruitment, killing and maiming, rape and other forms of sexual violence, abductions.
7. India, UK Sign Agreement On Exchange Of Experience By Legal Professionals
• India and the United Kingdom signed an agreement on the exchange of experience by legal professionals and government functionaries for resolution of disputes before various courts and tribunals.
• The agreement was signed by Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad and UK’s Secretary of State for Justice David Gauke in London.
• The MoU sought to enhance bilateral cooperation in legal affairs which would provide a framework for promoting greater cooperation between the judicial and legal professionals in both countries through the exchange of expertise and training.
8. NABARD Foundation Day: 12 July
• National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has completed 36 years of service to the nation and celebrated the 37th Foundation Day on 12th July.
• A national seminar on ‘Collectivisation and Market linkages: Farmers Producers Organizations’ was organized in Mumbai.
9. HDFC Securities Enable MF Transactions Through Facebook Messenger
• HDFC securities announced the launch of Mutual Funds transactional capabilities on Facebook Messenger through their virtual assistant, Arya.
• A subsidiary of HDFC Bank, HDFC securities rolled out a theme called “The Pace of Innovation” which is structured to innovate and provide intuitive and relevant digital solutions to customers and this effort, is in line with the vision.
10. Airtel Payments Bank Gets RBI Nod To Resume Taking New Customers
• Airtel Payments Bank has received requisite approvals from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to begin taking new customers. Also, Aadhaar-issuing authority UIDAI has allowed it to use the 12-digit unique identification number-based e-KYC.
• RBI had earlier directed Airtel Payments Bank not to on-board new customers while Aadhaar-issuing body UIDAI had suspended the e-KYC licence of both Airtel and the payments bank.
11. India Becomes 69th Shareholder of European Bank For Reconstruction & Development
• India has become the 69th shareholder of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD). This move paved the way for more joint investment with Indian companies across the bank’s regions of operation.
• The Board of Governors voted unanimously in favour of the country’s application. The EBRD aims to promote the private and entrepreneurial initiative in emerging Europe and invests in 38 emerging economies.
12. Asia Cup Archery: Korea Topped, India Finished 3rd
• India has bagged four medals in the Asia Cup World Archery Ranking Tournament Stage 3 in Taipei, Taiwan. The feat comprised 3 silver medals and a bronze. India also finished joint third with Iran in the championship.
• India ended their campaign behind toppers Korea and hosts Chinese Taipei. Korea topped the tally with 14 medals, 8 of them being gold. Taipei bagged 5 medals, two of them being gold.
13. Spiritual Leader Dada Vaswani Passes Away
• Spiritual leader Dada Vaswani passed away at the age of 99 in Pune, Maharashtra. He was chief of Sadhu Vaswani Mission in Pune that is named after his uncle TL Vaswani.
• Acclaimed as a humanitarian, philosopher, educator, orator and non-sectarian spiritual leader, Vaswani was also known for promoting vegetarianism and animal rights.
14. Kolkata Police launches all-women patrolling team
• Aiming to combat and prevent crimes like molestation, eve-teasing and make public places safer for women, the Kolkata Police on July 11, 2018 launched a special all-women patrolling team called “The Winners”.
• The primary job of these lady officers will be to assist their male counterpart in helping women having complaints of molestation or eve-teasing occurred on city streets.
15. India and UK sign MoU on exchange of experience by legal professionals and government functionaries
• India and United Kingdom has signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on cooperation in the sphere of Law & Justice and establishing Joint Consultative Committee.
• The MoU was signed by Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad and UK’s Secretary of State for Justice David Gauke in London.