Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 12th October 2017
1. Global Hunger Index 2017: India ranks 100th among 119 nations:
- India ranked 100th position among 119 countries on Global Hunger Index (GHI) 2017 report released by Washington-based International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). This year slipped by three positions as compared to 97th rank in 2016 GHI.
- GHI is multidimensional measure that describes state of hunger situation on regional, national and global level. It is published annually by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) since 2006.
- It ranks countries on a 0 to 100-point scale calculated by taking into account four indicator parameters. Zero means best score (no hunger) and 100 is worst.
2. Prez to inaugurates 2-day conference of Governors & LG:
- President Ram Nath Kovind has inaugurated two-day Conference (48th) of Governors at Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The session will start with a presentation by NITI Aayog on the possible elements of ‘New India 2022’.
- The second session will be on Higher Education in States and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship to Make Youth Employable.
The 27 Governors and three Lieutenant Governors (LG) of States and Union Territories (UT) is attending the Conference.
- The Governors will have detailed deliberations on the subjects of ‘Infrastructure for New India 2022’ and ‘Public Services for New India 2022’ in two groups.
HRD Minister and Skill Development Minister will make presentations covering the vision and roadmap for addressing the issues on the agenda.
3. Gujarat govt to set up 16 new GIDC townships to encourage SMEs:
- The Gujarat Govt. will set up 16 new Gujarat Industrial Development Corporation (GIDC) townships in 2400-hectare area to encourage the Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs).
- This township will attract 15,000 industrial units and about 20,000 crore rupees investments is likely to come up in the state following this policy.
- Garment makers will get Rs. 4,000 subsidies per woman worker and Rs. 3500 rupees subsidy per male worker.
4. 44th Indian Handicrafts and Gifts-Delhi Fair inaugurated in New Delhi:
- The 44th edition of Indian Handicrafts and Gifts (IHGF)-Delhi Fair was held at India Expo Centre and Mart on outskirts of Delhi in Greater Noida.
- It was organised by Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts (EPCH) and was inaugurated by Union Textiles Minister Smriti Irani.
- The five-day B2B IHGF Fair was biggest platform in National Capital Region (NCR) for promotion of handicrafts business.
- It will showcase nearly three thousand exhibitors under 14 product categories. More than 100 countries including US, UK, Russia, France, Germany, Italy, Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Japan and Korea are participating in the fair.
5. Chennai Metro Rail introduces free bicycle ride scheme:
- The Chennai Metro Rail (CMRL) has introduced a free bicycle ride scheme for its customers.
- It has tied up with a private agency to provide 100-hours of bicycle ride free of cost every month.
- The free ride is available in four metro stations including in Ekkattuthangal, Nehru Park, Thirumangalam and Anna Nagar Tower.
6. PM Modi’s Economic Advisory Council Holds its First Meeting:
- The recently constituted Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister (EAC-PM) held its first meeting in New Delhi to deliberate upon and lay out a roadmap to give a leg up to the Indian economy in the short term after GDP growth for the first quarter fell to a three-year low of 5.7%. The EAC-PM is chaired by Dr. Bibey Debroy.
- Key issues for the discussion include ways to boost consumer demand, attract private investments and measures to incentivize job creation in the country, people familiar with the agenda said.
7. CCEA approves SANKALP & STRIVE Schemes to boost Skill India Mission:
- The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) approved two World Bank-supported schemes Skills Acquisition and Knowledge Awareness for Livelihood Promotion (SANKALP) and Skill Strengthening for Industrial Value Enhancement (STRIVE) to boost Skill India Mission.
- SANKALP is Rs 4455 crore centrally sponsored scheme including Rs 3300 crore loan support from World Bank whereas STRIVE is Rs 2200 crore central sector scheme with half funding will be World bank loan assistance.
- STRIVE scheme will incentivize ITIs to improve overall performance including apprenticeship by involving SMEs (Small Scale Enterprises), business association and industry clusters.
8. JDI Signed Between Indian Railways and Germany:
- German Railways will assist Indian Railways to make country’s existing rail corridors semi-high speed. The semi high-speed trains will run at 200 km per hour.
- A Joint Declaration of Intent (JDI) was signed between Ministry of Railways and Germany in Rail Bhavan regarding carrying out of feasibility study on existing 643 km Chennai-Kazipet corridor of Indian Railways by German Railways for increasing the speed of passenger trains to 200 kmph on 50.50 percent cost-sharing basis.
9. SBI to Set Up Country’s Largest Innovation Centre at Mumbai:
- The nation’s largest lender State Bank of India is creating a 15,000-sqft innovation center in Navi Mumbai investing around Rs 100 crore. The
- The center, to be built at its Global IT Centre in Belapur in Navi Mumbai, will be the largest innovation center by any financial services company in the country. The innovation center is part of a Rs 200-crore allocation that the bank has earmarked for innovation 2016.
10. HSBC Launches App to Track Trade Transactions:
- HSBC (Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation) announced the launch of a mobile app – Trade Transaction Tracker – to help customers track the status of their trade transactions on a real-time basis.
- It will provide a global view of import and export documentary credit and collections transactions, across markets in one single app.
11. India is Second Largest Market for Pharma: LinkedIn Report:
- With 13.7 percent contribution to the global pharmaceuticals and biotechnology workforce, India has emerged as the second largest market for the industry, a report by professional networking giant LinkedIn has revealed.
- The report, detailed in the newly released e-book “The Indian Pharma and Biotech Industry”, showed that while New Delhi, Kolkata, and Chandigarh are thriving grounds for talent in this sector in India, talent migration is highest to the US.
12. Indian Pacer Ashish Nehra has Announced Retirement:
- Indian pacer Ashish Nehra has confirmed his retirement from International Cricket. He will play his last match against New Zealand on November 1, 2017.
- The 38-year-old has represented India for 18 years. He has played 17 Tests, 120 ODIs and 26 T20Is for India, taking 235 international wickets.
13. India qualifies for 2019 AFC Asian Cup:
- India has qualified for the 2019 AFC Asian Cup after they pumped in four goals for a convincing 4-1 win over Macau in a qualifying round at the Sree Kanteerava Stadium in Bengaluru.
- They made the cut with two matches still to go in the qualifying round.