Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 13th July 2018
1. Mukesh Ambani Dethrones Alibaba’s Jack Ma As Asia’s Richest Person:
- Reliance Industries Chairman and India’s richest person Mukesh Ambani dethroned Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba’s Co-founder Jack Ma to become Asia’s richest person as RIL shares hit an all-time high.
- Ambani’s net worth now stands at $44.3 billion as compared to Jack Ma’s $44 billion wealth, according to Bloomberg. Ambani has added $4 billion to his wealth this year.
2. Telecom Commission of India approves Net Neutrality:
- The Telecom Commission has approved the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India’s (TRAI) net neutrality recommendations that bar service providers from discriminating against internet content and services by blocking, throttling or granting them higher speed access.
- The decision that aims to ensure open and free Internet in the country was taken at a meeting of the Commission, the highest decision-making body in the Department of Telecommunication in New Delhi.
3. Madhya Pradesh CM Inaugurated NTPC’s Solar Plant:
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chauhan inaugurated state-run power giant National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC) 250 MW Solar Power Plant in Mandsaur.
- According to NTPC, this project has been set up mainly on non-agricultural land and generation of electricity has been achieved without affecting the natural eco-system with zero carbon emission at an investment of about Rs 1,500 crore.
- This is one of the biggest solar plant developed using domestically manufactured Solar cells and modules under the Make in India initiative.
4. Haryana Governor Solanki given additional charge of Himachal:
- Haryana Governor Kaptan Singh Solanki has been given the additional charge as the Governor of Himachal Pradesh during the absence of incumbent Himachal Pradesh Governor Acharya Devvrat.
- Solanki has previously served two terms as a member of the Rajya Sabha and has been a member of various Parliamentary committees, including the Committee on Food, Consumer Affairs and Public Distribution.
5. Railways Launched Its 1st Consolidated Bridge Management System:
- The Railways has launched its first consolidated Bridge Management System, a web-enabled IT application to store data on its one lakh 50 thousand bridges.
- Railways Minister Piyush Goyal launched the service in New Delhi for “meaningful assimilation, analysis and dissemination of information related to various activities” about its bridges.
- Mr Goyal also distributed awards to the Station Beautification competition. Balharshah and Chandrapur railway stations in Maharashtra from the Central Railway were awarded the first prize.
6. TCA Raghavan Appointed Director-General of ICWA:
- The Vice President of India and the President of Indian Council of World Affairs (ICWA), M. Venkaiah Naidu has appointed Dr. T.C.A. Raghavan as the Director General, ex officio Member-Secretary of the Council, ICWA.
- The decision was taken in the meetings of the Governing Body and Governing Council of the ICWA. Dr. T.C.A. Raghavan has served as India’s High Commissioner to Islamabad and Singapore and has served in our missions at London, Thimphu and Kuwait.
7. UN Secretary-General Constitutes High-Level Panel on Digital Cooperation:
- The United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres constituted a High-Level Panel on Digital Cooperation. The panel will be co-chaired by Melinda Gates, Co-Chairman of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and Jack Ma, Executive Chairman of Alibaba Group.
- The Panel has a total of 20 members, representing a cross-section of expertise from Government, private industry, civil society, academia and the technical community.
8. RBI Made Purchaser’s Name On Face Of Payment Instrumentalities Compulsory:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has made it compulsory to incorporate purchaser’s name on the face of payment instrumentalities like demand draft, pay order, banker’s cheques and other instruments to prevent money laundering.
- It has been done in order to address the concerns arising out of the anonymity and to prevent money laundering. The RBI issued a notification in Mumbai to this effect to the banks. This directive will come into effect from 15th of September 2018.
9. IAAF World U20 Championship: Hima Das Bags Gold, Creates History:
- 18-year-old Indian runner Hima Das created history by becoming the first-ever Indian woman to win an athletics gold on the international stage.
- Hailing from Assam, Hima finished on top of the podium in the women’s 400m event at the IAAF World U20 Championship in Tampere, Finland, clocking 51.46 seconds. 51.13 seconds is her personal best and is now also the Indian U20 national record.
10. Entire Men’s Hockey Team Included in Target Olympic Podium Scheme:
- In a departure from the norm, the Mission Olympic Cell included the entire Indian hockey team in the Target Olympic Podium (TOP) scheme, rewarding the players for their silver medal-winning performance at the Champions Trophy.
- Athletes from different sports have been included in TOP Scheme individually but it is first instance that an entire team has been made beneficiary of the financial assistance scheme. Each of the 18 members of the hockey team will now get a monthly allowance of Rs 50,000.