Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 13th September 2017
1. India’s first advanced Homoeopathy Virology lab inaugurated in Kolkata:
- India’s first state of art virology laboratory was inaugurated at Dr. Anjali Chatterjee Regional Research Institute for Homoeopathy in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- The lab will play important in developing new drugs and technologies in Homoeopathy to combat emerging challenges of viral diseases.
2. Japan PM Shinzo Abe in Ahmedabad for India-Japan Annual Summit:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi received his Japanese counterpart Shinzo Abe at Ahmedabad in Gujarat. Mr. Abe is in India on a two-day visit to attend the India-Japan annual summit meeting.
- The 12th edition of the summit will be held in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- They will also attend a function to mark the commencement of work of India’s first high-speed rail project between Ahmedabad and Mumbai.
3. Government Launches Hackathon to Promote App Ideas:
- The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) launched a nationwide Hackathon ‘OpenGovDataHack’ to support and showcase potential ideas/talent from inner India.
- As part of the start-up eco-system development program, the National Informatics Centre (NIC) and the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) have collaborated to conduct the Hackathon at Jaipur, Chennai, Noida, Bhubaneswar, Patna, Hyderabad and Surat.
4. UN Secretary-General appoints Peter Thomson as 1st special envoy for oceans:
- UN Secretary-General “Antonio Guterres'” has appointed Peter Thomson as the first special envoy for the oceans.
- Peter Thomson played a leading role at the first-ever UN conference on oceans in June.
The 193 UN member states issued an urgent call for action to reverse the decline in the health and productivity of the world’s oceans.
5. London- World’s Top Financial Center:
- London retained its crown as the world’s top financial center in a ranking that surveys industry professionals, extending its lead over New York and Hong Kong despite ongoing uncertainty about the implications of Brexit.
- London was placed first, followed by New York, Hong Kong and Singapore in the Z/Yen global financial centers index (GFCI), which ranks 92 financial centers on factors such as infrastructure and access to high quality staff.
- New York was 24 points behind the British capital, the biggest gap between the two since the survey started in 2007.
6. FM Constitutes GoM to Monitor IT Challenge in GST:
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has constituted a Group of Ministers (GoM) headed by Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi to monitor and resolve the IT challenges faced in the implementation of GST.
- The GoM will be assisted by the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN).
- Besides, a Committee on Exports has also been constituted under the convenorship of the Revenue Secretary Dr.Hasmukh Adhia to look at the issues of export sector and to recommend the GST Council suitable strategy for helping the export sector in the post-GST scenario.
- The Committees have been set up in pursuance of the decision taken at the 21st Meeting of GST Council held in Hyderabad.
7. 1% DA hike for Central government staff:
- The Union Cabinet has approved the release of an additional 1% (existing rate of 4%) of dearness allowance (DA) to Central government employees and dearness relief (DR) to pensioners (applicable from 1st July 2017).
- This will benefit about 49.26 lakh Central government employees and 61.17 lakh pensioners.
- The Cabinet also approved a proposed law amendment to double the maximum gratuity payout to private sector workers from Rs. 10 lakhs to Rs. 20 lakhs.
8. Government allows m-Aadhaar as ID proof for rail travel:
- The Railway Ministry on Wednesday announced that m-Aadhaar can be used as one of the prescribed proofs of identity for rail travel.
- m-Aadhaar is a mobile app launched by Unique Identification Authority of India on which a person can download his/her Aadhaar data. However, it can be done only on the mobile number to which the Aadhaar is linked.
9. Chhattisgarh govt declares 96 tehsils as drought-hit:
- Chhattisgarh govt. has declared 96 tehsils of 21 districts across the state as drought-hit in view of deficient rainfall.
- These tehsils would not have sufficient crop yield as per ‘Aanawari’, which is a measure of crop yield in farms.
- As per the provisions of revenue book circular, compensation will be distributed to farmers of the drought-hit areas.
10. Bharti Airtel & SK Telecom Team up to build high–speed network, 5G:
- Telecom services provider, Bharti Airtel and SK Telecom of Korea have announced a strategic partnership under which Airtel will leverage the latter’s expertise to build advanced telecom network in India.
- SK Telecom is Korea’s largest telecommunications company with more than 29 million mobile subscribers, which accounts for around 50 percent of the total market.
- The two companies will also collaborate on an ongoing basis to evolve standards for 5G and Network Functions Virtualisation (NFV).
11. RBI to Introduce Rs 100 Coin to Mark MG Ramachandran’s Birth Centenary:
- As per the notification of Finance Ministry, the Reserve Bank of India will introduce 100 rupees coin to mark the birth centenary (hundredth anniversary) of AIADMK founder Late Dr. M G Ramachandran.
- On the obverse, the face of the coin will bear Lion Capitol of Ashoka Pillar in the center with Satyamev Jayate inscribed below on it in Devanagari script. It will also bear the rupee symbol and denominational value of 100.
On the reverse side, the portrait of Dr. MG Ramachandran will be in the center. The standard weight of the coin will be 35 grams.
12. PayU Ties up With IRCTC:
- Payment gateway provider PayU has announced its collaborations with the IRCTC to provide users a safe and secure option to pay for rail tickets booked via the IRCTC website.
- PayU will now be available as a payment option under the Multiple Payment Services (MPS) option on the IRCTC website at the payment stage of booking an e- ticket.
- Clicking on this option will enable users to make a safe and secure transaction via various payment options like internet banking, debit/credit card and e-wallet.
13. Paytm Partners with NPCI:
- Paytm Payments Bank (PPB) has partnered with the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) to launch a RuPay-powered digital debit card.
- With the PPB Digital debit card, customers will now be able to transact at all merchants who accept credit and debit cards.
- Existing Paytm users need to complete a KYC process to become an account holder with PPB. Following this, they will be issued a free digital RuPay card.
- As a payments bank, PPB can take a demand deposit of up to Rs 1 lakh per customer, but it cannot undertake lending activities.
14. Halimah Yacob- 1st Female President of Singapore:
- Halimah Yacob was sworn-in as the 8th President of Singapore. She became the country’s first female President and the first in five decades to come from the Malay ethnicity.
- She was certified by the Presidential Elections Commission as the only eligible candidate, and since she has no opponent, there was no election held.
14. Turkey Signs Deal to Buy Russian S-400 Missile Systems:
- Turkey has signed a deal with Russia to buy S-400 missile defence systems in its first major weapons purchase from Moscow, according to the President of Turkey Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
- The accord for the surface-to-air missile defence batteries is Ankara’s most significant pact with a non-NATO supplier.
15. India, Belarus sign 10 pacts to expand cooperation:
- India and Belaru have inked 10 agreements to expand cooperation in range of areas including oil and gas, education and sports and also decided to explore joint development and manufacture of military platforms.
- The agreements were signed after extensive delegational levels talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Belarus President A G Lukashenko in New Delhi.
- Both leaders agreed to focus on ramping up economic engagement between two countries and held that their is huge scope for boosting trade and investment.
Following Agreements/MoUs were signed:
- MoU in the Oil and Gas Sector
- MoU for Cooperation in Agricultural Research and Education
- Programme of cooperation in the field of culture for 2018-2020
- MoU between Sports Ministry and Ministry of Education of Belarus
- MoU for Cooperation in the Field of Vocational Education and Training
- MoU between JSC Belarusian Potash Company (BPC) and Indian Potash Ltd (IPL)
- Agreement on Scientific and Technical Cooperation between National Academy of Sciences of Belarus and Indian National Science Academy (INSA)
16. Los Angeles to host the 2028 Olympics:
- According to the evaluation commission of International Olympic Committee (IOC), Los Angeles (USA) will host the 2028 Olympics.
- Earlier, Los Angeles had originally bid for 2024, but because of the new date, it had to make changes to its host contract.
- The full IOC will award the 2024 Games to Paris and the 2028 Games to Los Angeles.
17. 14-yr-old Indian wins two bronze medals at Asian chess event:
- Mumbai’s 14-year-old chess player Rishabh Shah bagged two bronze medals in the Under-14 Rapid and Blitz formats of the 2nd Western Asia Youth Chess Championship in Sri Lanka.
- Third-ranked Rishabh, who trains at the South Mumbai Chess Academy, finished with five points and 4.5 points in the Rapid and Blitz categories respectively to win the bronze medals.