Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 15th August 2017
1. Nation celebrates its 71st Independence Day on 15th August 2017:
- The nation celebrates its 71st Independence Day today (15th August 2017) and the main function was held at the Red Fort of the national capital where Prime Minister Narendra Modi hoisted the National Flag.
- The unfurling of the Tricolour was synchronized with the 21 Gun Salute fired by the valiant gunners of the elite 2281 Field Regiment (Ceremonial).
2. 112 Gallantry Awards to Armed Forces Personnel, members of Paramilitary Forces:
- On the occasion of 71st Independence Day, 112 Gallantry Awards have been approved by the President Ram Nath Kovind for the Armed Forces and Paramilitary Forces.
- It includes five Kirti Chakras, 17 Shaurya Chakras, 85 Sena Medals (Gallantry), three Nao Sena Medals (Gallantry) and two Vayu Sena Medals (Gallantry). Havaldar Giris Gurung from first Gorkha Rifles who was martyred during a major counter-infiltration operation along the Line of Control in Naugam sector of Kashmir has been awarded Kirti Chakra posthumously.
- Major David Manlun, who was martyred during an encounter with militants in Mon district of Nagaland, CRPF commandant Pramod Kumar who was martyred in a terror attack in Srinagar’s Nowhatta hours before last Independence Day has also been awarded Kirti Chakra Posthumously.
- CRPF commandant Chetan Kumar Cheetah who miraculously recovered from the deep coma after being hit by at least nine bullets during a gun battle with terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir has been awarded Kirti Chakra, the 2nd highest peacetime gallantry award.
3. Govt launches online portal to honour Gallantry award winners:
- On 70th Independence Day, the government launched an online portal dedicated to the gallantry award winners.
- The website “http://gallantryawards.gov.in”, gives details of the Chakra Series awardees i.e., Param Vir Chakra, Maha Vir Chakra, Vir Chakra, Ashok Chakra, Kirti Chakra and Shaurya Chakra. The website was launched by PM Modi.
4. India to open first Partition museum 70 years after event:
- India’s first museum on Partition of the Indian subcontinent will open this week in Punjab’s Amritsar, as India and Pakistan celebrate 70 years as independent nations.
- The museum will include photographs, newspaper clippings, donated personal items, and screens showing video interviews with survivors.
- It will also have ‘The Gallery of Hope’, where visitors can scribble messages of love and peace.
5. Home Minister launches live twitter wall on ‘Bharat Ke Veer’:
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh has launched the live twitter wall for promoting Bharat Ke Veer portal on the eve of 71st Independence Day. On the occasion, Mr Singh and Ministers of State for Home Affairs Hansraj Gangaram Ahir and Kiren Rijiju contributed their one month salary for Bharat Ke Veer corpus.
- Mr Singh has handed over a cheque of 1.59 lakh rupees to the Union Home Secretary Rajiv Mehrishi in New Delhi.
6. Santosh Sharma appointed CMD of Hindustan Copper Limited:
- Santosh Sharma has appointed as Chairman and Managing Director of Hindustan Coper Limited (HCL). He is at present Director (Operations) in the HCL.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved his appointment to the post for a period
7. Sankara Rao to be IFCI Chief Executive:
- IFCI Ltd, a government company, is set to have a new Managing Director & CEO in E Sankara Rao, who is currently Chief General Manager at India Infrastructure Finance Company Ltd (IIFCL).
- The Appointments Committee of Cabinet has given its nod for the Department of Financial Services (DFS) proposal to appoint Emandi Sankara Rao as Managing Director & Chief Executive Officer of IFCI Ltd. Rao’s appointment will be valid for three years. Rao is also currently a director and chief executive officer at IIFCL Asset Management Company Ltd.
8. Lalit Modi resigns from Rajasthan Cricket Association:
- Lalit Modi has resigned as president of the Nagaur District Association, marking an end to his presence in the Rajasthan Cricket Association (RCA), which was banned by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) for allowing him in its fold.
- The 50-year-old, who left India after being charged with money laundering, sent his resignation to both the RCA as well as BCCI CEO Rahul Johri.
9. 10-yr-old Indian youngest to climb 6,153m mountain:
- A 10-year-old mountaineer from Visakhapatnam, Kaamya Karthikeyan, successfully summited one of the highest peaks in the Himalayas, making her one of the youngest people in the world to achieve this feat.
- Kaamya completed the expedition three days before she turned 10, on August 7, thereby conquering Mount Stok Kangri. At a height of 6,153 metres (20,187 ft), Stok Kangri is not recommended for beginners and is considered ideal for advanced trekkers.
10. Indian boxers clinch 10 medals at Serbian tourney:
- India bagged two gold in the 6th Golden Glove Women’s Boxing Tournament at Vojvodina, Serbia. While Jyoti won Gold in 51 kg category, and Vanlalharitpuii bagged it 60 kg category. In all, India won two gold, four silver and four bronze medals in the tournament.
- The silver medals were clinched by Anjali in 48kg, Sakshi in 54kg, Ashtha in 69kg and Anupama in 81kg categories. Mandeep in 57kg, Nisha in 64kg, Shruti in 75kg and Neha in 81+kg category settled for bronze medals.