Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 15th September 2017
1. 15th September: Engineer’s Day
- Engineers’ Day is celebrated on 15th September every year in India commemorating the birthday of one of the greatest engineers in India, Sir Mokshagundam Visvesvarayya.
- Mokshagundam Visvesvaraya was an Indian engineer, scholar, statesman and the Diwan of Mysore from 1912 to 1918.
- He is a recipient of the Indian’s highest honour, the Bharat Ratna (1955).
2. International Day of Democracy: 15 September
- The International Day of Democracy is observed across the world on 15 September. The theme for the year 2017 is ‘Democracy and Conflict prevention’.
- This year’s theme focuses on the critical need to strengthen democratic institutions to promote peace and stability. It is organized by the United Nations.
3. President Ram Nath Kovind launches nation-wide campaign Swacchata Hi Sewa:
- Today, President Ram Nath Kovind has launched a nation-wide campaign Swacchata Hi Sewa from Kanpur in Uttar Pradesh and will be concluded on Gandhi Jayanti (2nd of October).
- He also administered nation-wide ‘Swachhta Hi Seva pledge’ initiating parallel action in all the two lakhs 50 thousand plus Gram Panchayats and cities in India.
- The objective of the campaign is to mobilize people and reinforce the public movement for sanitation to contribute to Mahatma Gandhi’s dream of a Clean India.
- Sikkim, Himachal Pradesh, Kerala, Haryana, and Uttarakhand and nearly 200 districts around the country have become Open Defecation Free.
4. Government Launches Wood is Good Campaign:
- Environmental Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan inaugurated a two-day conference on “Sustainable landscapes and forest ecosystems: Theory to Practice” in New Delhi.
- Dr. Harsh Vardhan launched the “Wood is Good” campaign on the occasion. Wood is a climate-friendly material, as it is a renewable resource, having zero carbon footprint.
5. GT refuses to lift the ban on 10-yr-old diesel vehicles in Delhi-NCR:
- National Green Tribunal (NGT) has refused to lift the ban on 10-year-old diesel vehicles in the Delhi-National Capital Region.
- The NGT has also dismissed the Centre’s plea seeking modification of its ban order on diesel vehicles.
- According to the NGT, one diesel vehicle causes pollution equal to 24 petrol vehicles and 40 CNG vehicles.
- National Green Tribunal Act, 2010 (NGT) is an Act of the Parliament of India which enables creation of a special tribunal to handle the expeditious disposal of the cases pertaining to environmental issues.
6. Corporate Affairs Ministry & CBDT Signed MoU:
- Corporate Affairs Ministry and Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has signed a MoU for the automatic and regular exchange of information to curb the menace of shell companies, money laundering and black money in the country.
- The MoU will enable sharing of specific information such as PAN number data in respect of corporates, Income Tax returns of corporates, financial statements filed with the Registrar by corporates, audit reports, and statements of financial transactions received from banks relating to corporates.
7. Google to Launch Mobile Payment Service in India:
- Tech giant Google is announced to unveil a digital payment service in India that has been developed for the local market.
- In July, National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) had stated that Google had completed the testing of its UPI payment service and was awaiting Reserve Bank of India’s approval to launch its service in the country.
- Google is looking at launching a payment service ‘Google Tez’, which will include support for Unified Payments Interface (UPI) as well as mobile wallets like Paytm and MobiKwik.
8. Former UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Elected as Chair of the IOC Ethics Commission:
- Former United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon was elected as Chair of Ethics Commission of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for a four-year term. Ban succeeds Youssoupha Ndiaye of Senegal whose term has come to an end.
- His appointment was proposed by the IOC Executive Board and was approved during the IOC Session in Lima with a 74-4 majority.
9. Wholesale Inflation Hits Four-Month High of 3.24% in August:
- Wholesale inflation rose to a four-month high of 3.24 per cent in August as prices of food articles, led by onions and vegetables, soared. Inflation based on the Wholesale Price Index was 1.88 per cent in July 2017 and 1.09 per cent in August 2016.
- The last such high level of inflation was witnessed in April when the rate of price rise was 3.85 per cent.
10. 74th Venice Film Festival Awards 2017:
- Guillermo del Toro’s ‘The Shape of Water’ was awarded the Golden Lion at the 74th Venice Film Festival. The film, a romantic monster movie starring Sally Hawkins and Michael Shannon, premiered on the Lido on August 31, declared as the best movie.
- It’s also the first English-language movie to win Venice’s top prize since Sofia Coppola’s Somewhere in 2010.
List of Awards are as follows:
1. Golden Lion – Best Movie
The Shape of Water, directed by Guillermo del Toro
2. Grand Jury Prize
Foxtrot, directed by Samuel Maoz
3. Silver Lion – Best Director
Xavier Legrand (for Jusqu’à la Garde)
4. Volpi Cup – Best Actress
Charlotte Rampling (for Hannah)
5. Volpi Cup – Best Actor
Kamel El Basha (for The Insult)
11. ‘Unstoppable: My Life So Far’ authored by Maria Sharapova:
- The book titled ‘Unstoppable: My Life So Far’ authored by tennis star Maria Sharapova was unveiled.
- The book talks about Sharapova’s rise from nowhere to tennis stardom, and the unending fight to stay on top.
- The book tells how a seventeen-year-old Maria Sharapova became an overnight sensation by defeating the two-time defending champion Serena Williams to win the prestigious Wimbledon.
12. Goa to Host 36th National Games:
- The Indian Olympic Association (IOA) formally awarded to Goa the rights to host the 36th National Games. The announcement was made by the state sports minister Manohar Ajgaonkar.
- Ajgaonkar stated that IOA Secretary General Rajeev Mehta, in a letter to Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar, had formally conferred the rights to the state to host the sporting event in November 2017.
13. India’s First Foreign Coach for Women Boxers Resigns:
- Indian women’s boxing’s first foreign coach, Stephane Cottalorda, has resigned after just one month of appointment, alleging delay in salary and other payments.
- Cottalorda has claimed in his resignation letter that he hasn’t been paid his salary for the first month in full and has also cited ‘lack of professionalism’ on part of Boxing Federation of India (BFI) as his reasons for not coming back to India.