Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 16th August 2017
1. ‘Indira Canteen Scheme’ Launched in Bengaluru:
- Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi launched the ‘Indira Canteen’ scheme, dedicated to former Prime minister Indira Gandhi- a state government initiative to provide food at low cost to cater to the urban poor.
- The canteen, located in Kanakana Palya (Jayanagar) in Bengaluru, is one of 101 such that opened across various locations in Bengaluru. The canteens are loosely modelled on the late Tamil Nadu chief minister J. Jayalalithaa’s “Amma canteens”.
2. Melbourne named the world’s most liveable city once again:
- Melbourne (Australia) has once again been named the world’s most liveable city by Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), receiving a perfect score for healthcare, education, and infrastructure.
- It was a record seventh time in a row from 2011 to 2017 in the top spot for Melbourne.
The Economist Intelligence Unit’s (EIU) Liveability Index ranks 140 cities each year on those topics, as well as stability, culture, and environment.
- Top three most liveable cities are Melbourne, Vienna and Vancouver.
3. Italy to host G-7 interior ministers summit on security:
- Italy will host a summit of Group of Seven Interior Ministers centered on security issues in the fall.
- Italy currently holds the rotating helm of the G-7 industrialized nations.
These countries are the seven major advanced economies as reported by the International Monetary Fund. The 43rd G7 summit was held in Taormina, Italy on May 2017.
- The group consists of seven major advanced economies including Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, United Kingdom and the United States.
- The G7 countries represent more than 64% of the net global wealth.
4. India to Host Next Steering Committee Meeting of TAPI Gas Pipeline:
- India (New Delhi) will host the next steering committee meeting of the proposed 1,814 kilometre-long Turkmenistan-Afghanistan-Pakistan-India (TAPI) gas pipeline senior officials on both sides confirmed.
- The decision came during the sixth joint Inter-Governmental Committee (IGC) meeting on trade, economic, scientific and technological cooperation.
- The meeting was followed by a meeting between visiting Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of Turkmenistan Rashid Meredov and Minister of State for Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan.
5. Nepal & China sign three pacts to boost their ties:
- Nepal and China have signed three pacts to further boost their ties in power and energy sectors.
- The pacts were signed to undertake a feasibility study to excavate natural gas and petroleum in the Himalayan country.
- The agreements signed will cover economic and technological cooperation, oil and gas resources exploration, and promotion of investment.
6. Cabinet Approves MoU Between India and Sweden on IPRs:
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its approval to the MoU between India and Sweden on cooperation in the field of Intellectual Property (IPRs).
- The MoU establishes a wide ranging and flexible mechanism through which both countries can exchange best practices and work together on training programs and technical exchanges to raise awareness on IPRs and better protect intellectual property rights.
7. Norway has world’s fastest mobile Internet:
- According to a global leader in broadband testing ‘Ookla’, Norway has the fastest mobile Internet in the world.
- Average internet connection speed of Norwegians’ mobile phones has increased by 69% during the last year and ha the speed of 52.6 megabits per second.
- In only 13 months, Norway has jumped from 11th to 1st place on the list of world best providers of fast Internet connection.
- The Netherlands and Hungary are ranked number two and three on the list of the world’s fastest mobile networks.
8. Earths Largest volcanic region found in Antarctica:
- Researchers from the University of Edinburgh in Britain have discovered the largest volcanic region on Earth, two km below the surface of the vast ice sheet in west Antarctica.
- They have found 91 previously unknown active volcanoes in the region known as the West Antarctic rift system, adding to the exiting 47 volcanoes that were discovered earlier. This makes it largest volcanic region on the Earth.
9. KVGB Bags Best Performer Award:
- National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (Nabard) has conferred the ‘best performance award’ for 2015-16 and 2016-17 to Karnataka Vikas Grameen Bank (KVGB) for its work in the field of credit-linking joint liability groups (JLGs).
- 1,194 JLGs(Joint Liability Group) were credit-linked by disbursing Rs 19.38 crore during 2016-17. The outstanding accounts under JLGs stood at 6,329 involving an amount of Rs 63.83 crore.
10. SBI Holds Home Loan Utsav in Bengaluru:
- State Bank of India successfully held two-day Home Loan Utsav in Bengaluru. The loan Utsav saw title sponsor, GM Infinite. Subtitle sponsors, Brigade Group, Salarpuria Sattva and DSR Infra.
- The bank is offering a 0.25% concession in interest rate from the fourth year of the home loan if it is availed at the SBI Utsav.
11. ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund Launches ‘Plan Your Goal’ Website:
- ICICI Prudential Mutual Fund has launched a new website ‘PlanYourGoal.com’ to help users plan their investments according to their future financial goals.
- The website guides the users to plan their big spends, tax investments as well as the corpus required during retirement. The website also provides recommendations based on calculations.
12. Alexander Zverev wins Rogers Cup championship:
- German Alexander Zverev (20-year) has won fifth Rogers Cup championship.
- He defeated Swiss Roger Federer in straight set 6-3, 6-4 at the Rogers Cup final to claim his second Masters 1000 title in Montreal, Canada.
- The events alternate from year to year between the cities of Montreal and Toronto.