Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 16th July 2018
1. SBI And NABARD Tie-Up For Credit In Telangana
• State Bank of India and National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) have joined hands to provide collateral-free credit through Joint Liability Groups (JLGs) in Telangana.
• The two signed an MoU, along with seven NGOs from Nizamabad, Medak and Warangal districts, for the promotion and credit linkage of 2,000 JLGs during the current year.
2. World’s 1st And Cheapest Clean Drinking Water Project Launched In Bihar
• The first of world’s cheapest drinking water project was launched in Darbhanga district, Bihar. This was launched by Sulabh International, an organisation that introduced the concept of ‘Sulabh Sauchalya’ in the country.
• It would be managed by Self Help group of Darbhanga Nagar Nigam. With the help of this project, the people will easily be able to get pure and clean water only in 50paisa/litre.
3. PM Modi Dedicates Bansagar Canal Project To Nation In Mirzapur
• The Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated the Bansagar Canal Project to the Nation in Mirzapur, Uttar Pradesh. This project will provide a big boost to irrigation in the region, and will be greatly beneficial for the farmers of Mirzapur and Allahabad districts of Uttar Pradesh.
• He inaugurated 100 Jan Aushadhi Kendras in the State. He also dedicated a bridge over the River Ganga at Balughat, Chunar, which will facilitate connectivity between Mirzapur and Varanasi.
4. SCM BrahMos Test Fired Under Extreme Conditions
• India’s supersonic cruise missile (SCM) BrahMos was test fired from Odisha’s Chandipur range launch pad under extreme conditions. The test was conducted in order to increase the longevity of its life.
• BrahMos Aerospace is a joint venture between India’s Defence Research and Development Organisation and NPOM of Russia. It is responsible for designing, developing and producing the missile. The missile can cruise at speeds of up to Mach 3.0, or three times the speed of sound.
5. Ravi Shankar Prasad Unveils Goa IT Policy 2018
• Union minister for electronics and IT and law and justice Ravi Shankar Prasad unveiled the Goa IT Policy 2018 at the Inox complex in Panaji on the final day of Goa IT Day celebrations.
• The Goa IT Policy focuses on infrastructure development, fiscal incentives, governance and human resource development. The policy offers special incentives for solar power-based units, internet subsidy and assistance for campus recruitment.
6. University of Houston Signs MoU with Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy
• The University of Houston, Texas has signed an MoU with the Indian Institute of Petroleum and Energy (IIPE) to build scientific and technical knowledge through joint research.
• It covers key areas of possible collaboration in faculty exchanges, offshore and onshore petroleum engineering, process control systems and process safety in all chemical engineering fields and non-conventional energy areas.
7. ISRO successfully conducts ground test of high thrust version of Vikas Engine
• ISRO has successfully conducted ground test of its high thrust version of Vikas Engine at ISRO Propulsion Complex (IPRC) in Mahendragiri, Tirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu for duration of 195 seconds.
• The tests meet all its propulsion parameters and were found satisfactory and closely matched the predictions.
8. In a First, India-Pakistan To Be Part Of Anti-Terror SCO Drill In Russia
• Militaries of India and Pakistan will be part of a mega anti-terror drill in Russia named “Peace Mission” in August 2018 which is being organised by the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO).
• The exercise will be joined by all SCO member countries including Russia, China, Kyrgyz Republic, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan. It will be for the first time since Independence that India and Pakistan will both be part of a military exercise.
9. Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin Holds 1st Summit At Helsinki In Finland
• US President Donald Trump and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin held the first summit at Helsinki in Finland. Trump’s meeting with Putin comes days after a federal grand jury indicted 12 Russian intelligence officials on charges of hacking the servers of the Democratic National Committee and that of its 2016 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton.
• Host Finland President Sauli Niinisto met Trump before Trump and Putin sit down to a bilateral meeting first without aides and then with their teams of support staff.
10. EAM Sushma Swaraj Co-Chairs Joint Commission Meet in Bahrain
• External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj co-chaired the second joint commission meeting with her Bahraini counterpart Shaikh Khalid Bin Ahmed Bin Mohamed Al Khalifa. Issues of trade, investment and counter-terror cooperation discussed at the joint commission meeting.
• The External affairs minister jointly inaugurated impressive Embassy of India Complex in Manama. The new embassy complex is equipped with State-of-the-art Facilities to cater the growing need of people of both countries.
11. BrahMos supersonic missile successfully test-fired from Integrated Test Range at Chandipur in Odisha
• India’s indigenously developed surface-to-surface supersonic cruise missile- BrahMos was successfully test-fired from the Chandipur Test Range, off the coast of Odisha on July 16, 2018.
• The missile, developed with the help of Russia, has a 290-km target efficiency, which is going to be extended upto 400 kilometres.
12. India, Bangladesh Sign Revised Travel Agreement
• India signed a revised travel agreement with Bangladesh to ease visa restrictions for citizens from the neighbouring country. The agreement was signed between the two countries in Dhaka in presence of visiting Home Minister Rajnath Singh and his counterpart Asaduzzaman Khan.
• Under the Revised Travel Arrangement (RTA)-2018, freedom fighters and elderly Bangladeshi nationals will get five-year multiple visa from India.
13. WPI Inflation At 4.5-Year High, Grows 5.77% in June
• According to the data of the commerce and industry ministry, India’s wholesale inflation grew 5.77% in June, a four-and-half-year high, driven by some food items and fuel price.
• A higher inflation in the month of June can also be attributed to an unfavourable base effect. WPI witnessed a growth of 4.43% in May and 0.90% in June 2017.
14. LIC Board Approves IDBI Bank Stake Purchase
• The board of Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has approved the proposal for the insurer to hold a 51% stake in IDBI Bank. The announcement was made by Subhash Chandra Garg, Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs.
• The life insurer has around 7.5% stake in LIC at present and will acquire the remaining stake from the government.
15. Haryana Governor Gets Additional Charge Of Himachal Pradesh
• Haryana Governor Kaptan Singh Solanki was given the additional charge of Himachal Pradesh by President Ram Nath Kovind.
• He has been appointed during the absence of Himachal Governor Acharya Devvrat, who is on leave.
16. Bhushan Steel Appoints Tata Steel’s TV Narendran As Chairman
• Bhushan Steel has approved the appointment of TV Narendran as Chairman and Non-Executive Additional Director of the company.
• Narendran, CEO and MD of Tata Steel, has over 30 years of experience in the metal and mining industry. Tata Steel acquired controlling stake of 72.65% in Bhushan Steel in accordance with Rs35,200-crore resolution plan for the bankrupt steelmaker.
17. 8-Year-Old Indian-Origin Yoga Champion Named ‘British Indian Of The Year’
• An eight-year-old Indian-origin schoolboy Ishwar Sharma, who is the under-11 UK national yoga champion has been named the ‘British Indian of the Year’ in the young achiever category for his accomplishments in the field.
• Ishwar Sharma has won a string of titles in both individual and artistic yoga, most recently a gold medal representing Great Britain at the World Student Games 2018 in Winnipeg, Canada.
18. FIFA World Cup 2018 Concludes | France Emerged As Champions
• The 21st edition of the FIFA World Cup concluded in Luzhniki Stadium in the Russian capital of Moscow. 32 nations, divided into eight groups, battled it out for the coveted trophy in the quadrennial month-long event.
• France emerged as the champion team of the FIFA World Cup 2018. It has defeated Croatia in a thrilling final by 4-2. It was the second world cup win for France, it first won in 1998.
19. Ramesh Powar named Indian women’s cricket team interim coach
• Former Indian off-spinner Ramesh Powar has been named as the interim coach of the Indian women’s cricket team.
• Powar has been asked to coach the team by BCCI until they find a replacement for Tushar Arothe, who resigned as the coach of the women’s team five months after being appointed.
20. World Junior Wushu Championships Concludes in Brazil
• The Indian team won four silver medals and five bronzes (total 9 medals) at the 7th World Junior Wushu Championships in Brasilia, Brazil.
• Egypt raised their medal record to seven as Mohamed Amin and Samira Mousa added two bronze medals.
21. 36th Golden Glove Of Vojvodina Youth Tournament: India Clinches Top Spot
• Indian boxers ruled the ring at the 36th Golden Glove of Vojvodina youth tournament, ending with seven gold medals to claim the overall top spot in the event in Subotica, Serbia. Four men and three women clinched gold medals at the tournament, which featured 17 countries.
• India finished first with 17 medals, including six silver and four bronze. Russia fetched 11 medals (3 gold, 2 silver and 6 bronze), but ended up third behind Kazakhstan, who had a better gold medal count (5) in their overall haul of seven medals.
22. IFFCO iMandi: IFFCO rolls out e-commerce platform for farmers
• Fertiliser major IFFCO has launched e-commerce platform IFFCO iMandi (an mobile application and web portal) to address all needs of the farming community associated with it.
• For this initiative, IFFCO has partnered with Singapore-based technology firm iMandi.
• Through this e-commerce platform, IFFCO is targeting to reach GMV (gross merchandise value) of $5 billion in the next two years by catering needs of 5.5 crore farmers already associated with it.
23. Kannada Poet M.N. Vyasa Rao Passes Away
• Kannada poet and film song lyricist M.N. Vyasa Rao passed away in Bengaluru, Karnataka. He was 73.
• He was also a recipient of the Karnataka Rajya Sahitya Academy award for his short story collection titled Maleyalli Neneda Maragalu.