GK Update & Current Affairs: 16th-17th September 2018
1. India Ranks 3rd On Family-Owned Business List: CSRI Report
- India ranks third globally in terms of number of family-owned businesses with 111 companies having a total market capitalisation of $839 billion. India closely follows China with 159 firms and the US with 121 firms,according to the ‘Credit Suisse Family 1000 in 2018’ study, published by the Credit Suisse Research Institute (CSRI).
- As per the report, in terms of number of family-owned businesses within the non-Japan Asian region, the list is dominated by China, India and Hong Kong. These three jurisdictions together account for around 65% of the non-Japan Asian section of CSRI’s database.
2. Indigenously Developed Weapon System ‘MPATGM’ Successfully Flight Tested
- Indigenously developed weapon system Man Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM), was successfully flight tested for the second time from the Ahmednagar range, Maharashtra. All the mission objectives have been met.
- The two missions have been successfully flight tested for different ranges including the maximum range capability.
3. New Website For ’15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2019′ Inaugurated
- External Affairs Minister (EAM) Sushma Swaraj, along with Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath inaugurated the website for the 15th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas 2019, www.pbdindia.gov.in.
- The convention 15th PBD 2019 will be held at Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh from January 21 to 23, 2019.
- Guests at the PBD 2019:
1. Prime Minister of Mauritius Pravind Kumar Jugnauth will be the Chief Guest.
2. Member of Parliament of Norway Himanshu Gulati will be the Special Guest.
3. Member of Parliament of New Zealand Kanwaljit Singh Bakshi will be the Guest of Honor.
4. Bengal Scheme to Combat Human Trafficking: Swayangsiddha
- In an attempt to combat human trafficking, the West Bengal government has rolled out a scheme, Swayangsiddha, in different districts of the State. Swayangsiddha, which means self-reliance, will be executed by the West Bengal Police.
- The scheme aims to empower young boys and girls to make informed choices so that they are less vulnerable to trafficking and child marriage. As the per the NCRB data, West Bengal has highest recorded case of trafficking among the States.
5. India Gets Its 1st Ever Dedicated Dog Park in Hyderabad
- For the first time in India, dog owners will have a dedicated dog park to visit. Set up in Hyderabad, the park is spread across an area of 1.3 acres.
- The park houses dog training equipment, play equipment, splash pool, fountain, areas for exercise, amphitheatre, lawns, separate kennels for small and big dogs and a dedicated dog clinic.
6. Cisco Signs Agreements With NITI Aayog and BSNL
- Cisco, a U.S.-based firm, that makes networking telecommunications equipment, has signed two agreements with the NITI Aayog and Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) to speed up its Country Digital Acceleration programme in India.
- The current set of investments will focus on fostering innovation and entrepreneurship through the Atal Innovation Mission .
7. Rajnath Singh Inaugurates 2 CIMBS Pilot Projects In Jammu
- Union Minister of Home Affairs Rajnath Singh inaugurated two Comprehensive Integrated Border Management System (CIBMS) pilot projects along the India-Pakistan border in Jammu region.
- The pilot project includes two 5.5 kilometre-stretches in Jammu, the performance of which will be monitored, and based on the feedback improvements will be made for the rest of the system.
8. Nepal And China Conducts 2nd JME ‘Sagarmatha Friendship-2018’
- The second edition of Nepal-China joint military exercise (JME) named Mt Everest Friendship Exercise-2018 (Sagarmatha Friendship-2018) commenced in China’s southwestern Sichuan province.
- The 12 day long joint exercise will focus on combating terror and disaster management trainings. Sagarmatha is the Nepali name for Mt Everest, which stands in between both the countries.
9. Jaipur Literature Festival Begins in Houston
- The Jaipur Literature Festival began in Houston at the Asia Society of Texas. The festival, touted as the world’s largest free literary gathering, started with a soulful music performance by Indian Sufi singer Zila Khan.
- The inaugural session also saw Congress leader and writer Shashi Tharoor discuss his book “Why i am a Hindu” with writer Namita Gokhale.
10. International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer: 16 September
- International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer was observed on 16th September throughout the world.
- The theme for International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer 2018 was ‘Keep Cool and Carry On: The Montreal Protocol’.
11. PayU India Gets RBI Approval To Operate Its Own NBFC
- PayU India has received Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI) approval to operate its own non-banking financial company (NBFC).
- The move will help PayU promote inclusive growth in the country by catering to the diverse financial needs of various segments of the society. The approval from the central bank is subject to “certain pending RBI compliance”.
12. Time Magazine Acquired By Salesforce Founders For $190 million
- Salesforce.com Inc. founder Marc Benioff and his wife Lynne agreed to acquire Time magazine from Meredith Corp. for $190 million in cash, joining Jeff Bezos among tech billionaires buying venerable print publications.
- The move thrusts the brash 53-year-old entrepreneur, who helped lead the shift of software to an on-demand model, into a new role: media baron. TIME magazine publisher Time Inc was sold to Meredith for $1.8 billion in January 2018.
13. Infosys Acquires Finnish Company ‘Fluido’ For Rs 545 crore
- Infosys has acquired Finnish company Fluido, a top consulting partner of Salesforce, for 65 million euros (about Rs 545 crore). This is Infosys’s second acquisition under CEO Salil Parekh.
- Recently, it had acquired US digital creative and consumer insight agency WongDoody for $75 million.
14. Federal Bank Inks MOU With Infopark Kakkanad
- Federal Bank, which is in the process of formation of a wholly owned subsidiary company, has executed MOU with Infopark Kakkanad for leasing space in their campus.
- The Bank has already obtained in principle approval of the Reserve Bank of India for the creation of a subsidiary company. The proposed company will integrate and handle all the back-end operations of the Bank.
15. NABARD Approves Rs 65,635 crore Loan For 93 Irrigation Projects
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has approved Rs 65,634.93 crore loan so far to 93 prioritised irrigation projects under the government’s flagship scheme Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchai Yojana (PMKSY).
- The NABARD is funding the central and state share of 99 prioritised irrigation projects under the PMKSY through long term irrigation fund (LTIF). It is mandated to provide Rs 70,000 crore loan to these projects to be completed by 2019.
16. NASA Launches Satellite To Track Decreasing Polar Ice
- NASA launched its Ice, Cloud and Land Elevation Satellite-2, known as ICESat-2, which will use an extremely precise laser to collect measurement data to track the Earth’s shrinking polar ice from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California.
- The laser, known as ATLAS (Advanced Topographic Laser Altimeter System), splits into six beams and fires 10,000 pulses per second to collect very precise measurements for scientists to analyze.
17. ISRO Launched 2 British Earth Observation Satellites Onboard PSLV-C42
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) successfully launched PSLV C 42 with two British earth observation satellites NovaSAR and S1-4 in precision from the Sathish Dhawan Space Centre Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh.
- The satellites were put into sun-synchronous orbit just over 17 minutes after liftoff from the first launch pad.
18. PNB Wins Hindi Implementation Award
- State-run Punjab National Bank (PNB) bagged the “Rajbhasha Kirti” award for outstanding performance in implementing the Official Language Policy during 2017-18. The award was given on the occasion of Hindi Diwas (15th September).
- The award, under the category of ‘Nationalised Banks and Financial Institutions in Region A’, was presented by Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu to PNB Chief Executive and MD Sunil Mehta.
19. SBI Appoints Prashant Kumar As CFO
- State Bank of India announced that Prashant Kumar has taken charge as the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the Bank. Before Kumar, Anshula Kant, who has been promoted as Managing Director of SBI, was the CFO.
- Prior to this appointment, Kumar was designated as Deputy Managing Director (HR) & Corporate Development Officer of India’s largest bank.
20. MC Mary Kom Wins Gold at Silesian Open Boxing In Poland
- Indian five-time world boxing champion M C Mary Kom clinched her third gold medal of the year in 48 kg category, while Jyoti Gulia picked up the country’s lone gold in 51 kg of the youth category of the Silesian Open boxing Tournament for women in Gliwice, Poland.
- In the youth competition, Jyoti, a former world champion and India’s only boxer to have qualified for Youth Olympic Games in Argentina, out-classed Poland’s Tatiana Pluta.
21. Maldives Defeats India to Lift SAFF Cup
- Maldives have lifted the 2018 South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Cup. In the final at the Bangabandhu Stadium in Dhaka, they defeated defending champions India 2-1. The win for Maldives comes 10 years after their first SAFF Cup title in 2008.
- Seven-time champions India had started as favourites in the summit clash. The Indian team, comprising mostly under-23 players, was the only unbeaten side in the tournament.
22. Kenya’s Kipchoge Smashes Marathon World Record In Berlin
- Kenyan Eliud Kipchoge set a new marathon world record in Berlin (Germany), smashing the previous best as he clocked 2 hours 1 minute 39 second.
- The 33-year-old Olympic champion, took 1 minute 17 second off the previous best set four years ago by Dennis Kimetto.
23. Indian Boxers Win 3 Gold Medals In Ahmet Comert Tournament in Turkey
- Simranjit Kaur (64kg), Monika (48kg) and Bhagyabati Kachari (81kg) claimed gold medals as Indian boxers notched up an impressive seven podium finishes at the Ahmet Comert Tournament in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Simranjit, a former national medallist, defeated Turkey’s Sema Caliskan to win the Gold. Bhagyabati was declared the most scientific boxer of the tournament.
24. Former Union minister Satya Prakash Malviya Passes Away
- Former Union petroleum minister Satya Prakash Malaviya passed away in Delhi. He was 84. Mr. Malaviya was suffering from prostate cancer.
- Mr. Malaviya had served as the petroleum minister in the cabinet headed by former Prime Minister Chandra Shekhar. He also served as environment minister in the Uttar Pradesh cabinet.