1. World’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge opens in Switzerland:
- The World’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge ‘Charles Kuonen Suspension Bridge’ has opened in Swiss Alpine resort of Zermatt Matterhorn in south Switzerland.
- According to the Zermatt Matterhorn’s press release, the steel bridge is 494 meters (1621 feet) long and overtakes the “Titan-RT” bridge in Germany as the world’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge.
- At its highest point, the bridge is 85m (279 feet) above the valley floor.
- The trail is considered by many ones of the most beautiful two-day hikes in the Alps and at a narrow 65 centimeters wide, the bridge stretches like a thin wire across the steep valley floor.
2. 19th RCEP Trade Negotiating Committee Meeting held in Hyderabad:
- The 19th round of the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) Trade Negotiating Committee (TNC) meetings and other related meetings were held in Hyderabad, Telangana.
- Besides, the 19th round of TNC, parallel meetings were also held by the three main Working Groups on Trade in goods, services, and investment. Working Groups in other areas like electronic commerce, Intellectual Property, Legal and Institutional Issues etc. also had held their meetings.
- RCEP is a proposed comprehensive regional economic integration agreement (mega Free Trade Agreement) amongst the 10-ASEAN countries (Brunei, Indonesia, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand, Singapore and Vietnam) and its six Free Trade Agreements (FTAs) partners, viz. Australia, New Zealand, India, China, Japan and Korea.
3. Trump Awarded First Medal of Honor to Vietnam Army Medic:
- An Army medic from Michigan who risked his life multiple times to rescue Vietnam War comrades is the first person to receive the Medal of Honor from President Donald Trump in Washington.
- Trump presented America’s highest military honor to James McCloughan at a White House ceremony.
4. NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Arvind Panagariya resigns:
- Arvind Panagariya has resigned as vice chairman of government think tank NITI Aayog.
- He has submitted a letter to PM Narendra Modi and requested to be relieved by the end of this month.
- He will be returning to the United States to re-join academia.
- In January 2015, Mr. Panagariya was appointed at the NITI Aayog Vice Chairman.
- NITI Aayog is a Government of India policy think-tank established by the NDA government to replace the Planning Commission which followed the top-down model.
5. Swachh Survekshan launched in New Delhi:
- Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs ‘Narendra Singh Tomar’ has launched ‘Swachh Survekshan-2018’ in New Delhi.
- Tomar also released a comprehensive Survey Tool Kit, explaining the methodology, weight age, and new features.
- The thrust areas that helps cities and towns prepare for the field survey over the next six months.
- This first Pan-India sanitation survey will start on 4th January next year.
- Babul Supriyo released a song ‘Swachhata Ki Jyot Jagi Hai’ as the anthem for the survey.
6. Rajya Sabha passes Constitution (123rd Amendment) Bill, 2017 with amendments:
- The Rajya Sabha (RS) passed the Constitution (123rd Amendment) Bill -2017 with amendments to create a new commission with constitutional status for the OBCs at par with the National Commissions for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes.
- The bill will encroach upon the rights of the states.
7. Mukesh Ambani Becomes Asia’s Second-Richest Person:
- Mukesh Ambani has elbowed past Li Ka-shing to become Asia’s second-richest man as investors rallied behind his efforts to arm India’s poor with cheap data-loaded phones.
- The chairman of Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) has added $12.1 billion to his wealth in 2017, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.
- He passed Li Ka-shing, whose empire spans telecommunications, retail, and ports.
- Jio took just nine months after launching with a free introductory offer to rope in 117.3 million users and become India’s fourth-largest operator, according to government data.
8. Sameer Garde named Cisco president for India, SAARC region:
- Tech giant Cisco has named former Philips Healthcare executive, Sameer Garde as president for its India and SAARC operations. He has succeeded Dinesh Malkani.
- Malkani will remain associated with Cisco as the strategic advisor till the end of September 2017.
9. Lt Gen Abhay Krishna appointed as Chief of Eastern Command:
- Lt General Abhay Krishna has been appointed as the Chief of the Indian Army’s Eastern Command. He succeeds Lt Gen Praveen Bakshi.
- Currently, Krishna was serving as the Head of the Army’s Jaipur-based Southwestern Command.
10. SC bans use of five metals in firecrackers:
- A Supreme Court bench headed by Justice Madan B Lokur has imposed a ban on the use of five harmful metals (lithium, mercury, arsenic, antimony, lead metals) in firecrackers as they cause enormous air pollution.
- The order came after the Central Pollution Control Board’s (CPCB) Member Secretary told the top court that standards on air pollution caused by the bursting of firecrackers are yet to be laid down.
11. Dhrupad maestro Ustad Sayeeduddin Dagar passes away:
- Eminent Dhrupad singer Ustad Sayeeduddin Dagar (78-year) passed away in Pune.
He had dedicated his life to keeping the Dhrupad tradition alive.
- Dhrupad is a genre in Hindustani classical music initially sung only in the temples, the singer facing the Lord.
12. Summer Olympics: Los Angeles agrees to host 2028 Games & Paris gets 2024:
- Today, Los Angeles (United States) formally announced its bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics after agreeing on a deal with the Olympic organizers.
- Now, this deal with Olympic organizers paves the way for Paris to host the Summer Olympics in 2024.
- The 2020 Summer Olympics will be hosted by Tokyo, Japan.
Earlier, Los Angeles hosted Olympics in 1984.
13. Rahul, Manu-Sumeeth clinch titles at Lagos Open:
- Indian shuttler C Rahul Yadav and men’s doubles pair of Manu Attri and B Sumeeth Reddy clinched the men’s singles and men’s doubles title respectively at Lagos International challenge in Nigeria.
- Rahul surpassed another Indian player Karan Rajan Rajarajan in the final clash to the title at the MoladeOkoya-Thomas Hall of the Teslim Balogun Stadium.
- In the doubles pair, Manu and Sumeeth, who played at the Rio Olympics, defeated local pair of Godwin Olofua and Anouluwapo Ju won Opeyori.