Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 1st September 2017
1. World’s biggest and powerful X-ray laser gun unveiled:
- The world’s largest and powerful X-ray laser- European X-ray Free Electron Laser (XFEL) was unveiled in Hamburg, Germany.
- The first beams from XFEL were accelerated in April 2017 and first x-ray beams were produced in May 2017. It will help scientists penetrate the inner workings of atoms, viruses and chemical reactions.
- The XFEL is lodged in series of 3.4-kilometer tunnels up to 38 metres underground near city of Hamburg. It took 8 years to build 1.5-billion-euro ($1.7 billion) facility with funding from 11 countries.
2. Rajiv Mehrishi to be next Comptroller and Auditor General:
- Former home secretary ‘Rajiv Mehrishi’ (1978-batch IAS officer Rajasthan cadre) will be the next Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India. He will replace Shashi Kant Sharma.
- Earlier, three senior bureaucrats (Ashwini Attri, Anita Pattanayak, and Ranjan Kumar Ghose) have been appointed as the Deputy Controller and Auditor General.
- CAG is a constitutional office under article 148 and is appointed by President of India by warrant under his hand for period of 6 years or up to age of 65 years, whichever earlier.
3. Sunil Arora Appointed Election Commissioner:
- Former bureaucrat Sunil Arora was appointed Election Commissioner by the law Ministry. Mr. Arora’s appointment will be with effect from the day he assumes charge.
- After Nasim Zaidi retired as Chief Election Commissioner in July, there was a vacancy in the poll panel. While Achal Kumar Joti is the Chief Election Commissioner of India, Om Prakash Rawat is the other Election Commissioner.
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) was established under India’s Constitution in 1950.
4. Sumitra Mahajan inaugurates exhibition Naya Bharat-Hum Karke Rahenge:
- Lok Sabha Speaker ‘Sumitra Mahajan’ and Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs ‘Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi’ inaugurated an exhibition Naya Bharat-Hum Karke Rahenge to aware the youth in New Delhi.
- Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs has organized the event in coordination with DAVP.
- It is being organized at 39 places across the country to commemorate the 75 years of Quit India Movement and forthcoming 75 years of Independence in 2022.
5. Arunachal Pradesh and J&K are Fastest Growing Economies:
- Jammu and Kashmir and Arunachal Pradesh were the fastest expanding State economies in 2015-16, according to a new series of gross State domestic product data with 2011-12 as the base year published by the Central Statistics Office.
- The two States also reported the fastest rise in per capita income in the same year. Arunachal Pradesh’s gross State domestic product (GSDP) expanded 16.5 per cent and that of Jammu and Kashmir 14.7 per cent at constant 2011-12 prices.
- Top 5 Largest state Economies are Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Uttar Pradesh and Karnataka.
6. PM Modi inaugurates the annual conference of ‘Rajaswa Gyan Sangam’:
- Today, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the annual conference of ‘Rajaswa Gyan Sangam, 2017’ in New Delhi.
- He addressed the tax administrators during the conference jointly organised by Central Board of Direct Taxes(CBDT) and the Central Board of Excise and Customs.
- The objective of the Conference is to enable a two-way communication between the policy-makers and the senior officers in the field offices with a view to increase revenue collection and facilitate effective implementation of law and policies in key result areas.
7. Swiss President on 3-Day Visit to India:
- President of Swiss Confederation Doris Leuthard is on the three-day visit to India. A number of agreements are expected to be signed in several areas after the talks.
- India and Switzerland enjoy robust economic ties, with Switzerland being seventh largest trading partner and eleventh largest foreign investor for India.
8. Rajiv Kumar appointed as new DFS Secy:
- Senior bureaucrat ‘Rajiv Kumar’ (1984 batch IAS officer-Jharkhand cadre) has been appointed Secretary in the Department of Financial Services (DFS).
- At present, Kumar is Special Secretary and Establishment Officer in the Ministry of Personnel.
- Rajiv Kumar has spearheaded several reforms in Indian bureaucracy including an online system for recording of the bureaucrat annual performance appraisal reports.
9. Rajiv Kumar Takes Charge as Niti Aayog Vice-Chairman:
- Economist Rajiv Kumar took over as the vice-chairman of government think tank NITI Aayog. Mr. Kumar replaced Arvind Panagariya, an Indian-American economist who left the think tank to return to academia.
- Mr. Kumar was a senior fellow at the Centre for Policy Research (CPR). He was a member of the National Security Advisory Board between 2006 and 2008.
- Amitabh Kant is the CEO of NITI(National Institution for Transforming India) Aayog.
10. Indian origin J Y Pillai became the acting President of Singapore:
- Well-known Indian-origin bureaucrat ‘J Y Pillai’ (83-year) has been appointed as the acting President of Singapore.
- He will replace Tan Kang Yam, who completed his six-year term as President.
- This is the first time that the office is vacant since the process of presidential selection has started in 1991.
11. CSIR Ranked 9th Public Research Institution of the World:
- India’s largest autonomous public organization Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has been ranked ninth in the world.
- The institute has been ranked ninth amongst a total of 1,207 government institutions, according to the Scimago Institutions ranking World Report 2017.
- It is the only Indian organization which has found place amongst the Top 100 Global Institutions. The ranking (Government Institutions) was topped by the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- CSIR was established by the Government of India in 1942.
12. Gaurav Bidhuri wins bronze medal in 2017 World Boxing Championships:
- Wildcard entrant India’s ‘Gaurav Bidhuri’ (24-year) has won the bronze medal at the 2017 World Boxing Championships in Hamburg, Germany.
- He lost his semi-final bantamweight (56kg) category clash to Duke Ragan (America).
- There were only three Indians who have managed it on this stage before the 2017 edition, Shiva Thapa ( 2015), Vikas Krishan(2011) and Vijender Singh(2009).
13. Chandrababu Naidu announces Rs. 1 crore to Archer Vennam Jyoti Surekha:
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister ‘N Chandrababu Naidu’ has announced a reward of one crore rupees to Arjuna awardee archer Vennam Jyoti Surekha.
- He also announced a 500- sq yd house site in Vijayawada and a government job for her.
- The Chief Minister also announced 10 lakh rupees reward for Devisri Prasad (10-year) of Tirupati on setting the Guinness World Record in skating.
- Prasad achieved the feat by skating under 60 cars, covering a distance of 115 meters.
14. Reliance Foundation Awarded Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Puraskar:
- The Reliance Foundation was rewarded with the prestigious Rashtriya Khel Protsahan Award at Rashtrapati Bhawan. Chairperson of the foundation, Nita Ambani collected the award from President Ram Nath Kovind.
- For its contribution to the promotion of sports, the award went to Reliance Foundation. Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) also received the Rashtriya Khel Protsahana Purushkar for its ‘Identification and Nurturing of Budding and Young Talent’ (IDCO) program.