GK Update & Current Affairs: 20th August 2018
1. India Successfully Tests Anti-Tank Guided Missile ‘HELINA’
- India successfully flight tested the indigenously developed helicopter launched Anti-Tank Guided Missile ‘HELINA’ from Pokhran in Rajasthan. The weapon system tested for its full range was released smoothly from the launch platform. The missile hit the target with high precision.
- The indigenously designed and developed guided bombs Smart Anti Airfield Weapon (SAAW) was also successfully flight tested from IAF aircraft at Chandan range in Jaisalmer.
2. India-Thailand Conclude ‘Maitree’ Military Exercise
- The Indian and Thailand’s armed forces concluded a two-week long platoon level military exercise called ‘Exercise Maitree 2018’ in Jammu & Kashmir’s Srinagar. The exercise was an annual event designed to strengthen the partnership between armies of the two countries.
- The exercise comprised of cross-training period, which included familiarization between the two armies to evolve drills and procedures that help in counter-insurgency and counter-terrorism operations in varied terrains under the United Nations (UN) mandate.
3. FSSAI Constitutes B Sesikeran Committee To Review Food Labelling Standards
- The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) constituted a group of experts from the health and nutrition sector to look into the issue of food labelling.
- The expert panel will be headed by B Sesikeran. Mr Sesikeran is the former director of National Institute of Nutrition (NIN) and comprises Hemalatha and Dr Nikhil Tandon.
4. EAM Sushma Swaraj Inaugurates ‘Panini Language Laboratory’ in Mauritius
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj inaugurated ‘Panini Language Laboratory’ at Mahatma Gandhi Institute (MGI) at Port Louis in Mauritius. She called on Prime Minister of Mauritius Pravind Kumar Jagnauth and discussed further deepening of the special ties between the two nations.
- The Lab has been gifted by the Government of India and it will help MGI in the teaching of all Indian languages in Mauritius.
5. SS Mundra Appointed Independent Director of Indiabulls Housing Finance
- Subhash Sheoratan Mundra has been appointed as Independent Director on the Board of Indiabulls Housing Finance Ltd (IBHFL) for a period of three years. He was former Deputy Governor of RBI.
- Mundra used to be the Chairman of Bank of Baroda and an Executive Director at Union Bank of India.
6. S K Arora Awarded WHO World No Tobacco Day 2017 Award
- Delhi government’s additional director of health, SK Arora was awarded prestigious World Health Organization (WHO) World No Tobacco Day 2017 Award for his extraordinary contribution towards tobacco control.
- It is awarded every year by WHO to individuals or organisations alike in each of six WHO regions for their accomplishments in the area of tobacco control.
7. Mitchell Johnson Announces Retirement From All Forms of Cricket
- Australian cricketer Mitchell Johnson announced the retirement from all forms of cricket almost three years after he stepped down from the international game.
- Johnson played 73 Tests in the Baggy Green, claiming 313 wickets, the fourth most for an Australian, and also 153 ODIs before retiring from international cricket in 2015.
8. Asian Games 2018: Wrestler Bajrang Punia Wins 1st Gold For India
- It was a mixed day for India on Day two of the 18th Asian Games in Indonesia. A dominating Bajrang Punia opened India’s gold medal account by defeating Japan’s Daichi Takatani in the final of Men’s Freestyle 65 kg. category.
- India opened its medal account with a bronze by Apurvi Chandela and Ravi Kumar in rifle mixed team shooting event.
9. Israeli Journalist And Peace Activist Uri Avnery Passes Away
- Uri Avnery, a trailblazing Israeli journalist and peace activist and one of the first to openly advocate for a Palestinian state passed away at the age of 94.
- A member of Israel’s founding generation, he fought in the pre-state Irgun underground militia. After independence, he became a publisher, member of parliament, author and activist.