GK Update & Current Affairs: 21st September 2018
1. International Day of Peace: 21 September
- Every year the International Day of Peace is observed around the world on 21 September.
- The theme for International Day of Peace 2018 is “The Right to Peace – The Universal Declaration of Human Rights at 70”. The theme celebrates the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
2. World Bank Approves Country Partnership Framework for India
- World Bank Board has endorsed an ambitious five-year Country Partnership Framework (CPF) for India, which aligns with New Delhi’s objectives of high, sustainable and inclusive growth. The framework is expected to bring between 25 and 30 billion US Dollars in financial support to India.
- The move is aimed at supporting India’s transition to a higher middle-income country by addressing some of its key development priorities such as resource efficient and inclusive growth, job creation and building its human capital.
3. Health Ministry Partners With Dell And Tata Trusts
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, exchanged the MoUs with the Tata Trusts and Dell to provide a technological platform for nation wide prevention, control, screening and management program of Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs).
- Anupriya Patel, Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare released the user manual for NCD application under Comprehensive Primary Health Care (CPHC) IT Solutions.
- Aimed at bringing healthcare technology transformation in Comprehensive Primary Health Care NCD program under Ayushman Bharat, the Health Ministry is working with Dell as a technology partner and the Tata Trusts as deployment partner.
4. India Contributes 1 Million to UN’s Ambitious Solar Project
- India has contributed one million US dollars for the installation of solar panels on the roof of the imposing UN building at the world body’s headquarters in New York. The contribution will help reduce carbon footprint and promote sustainable energy.
- According to India’s Permanent Representative to the UN Ambassador Syed Akbaruddin, India is the first responder to Secretary-General Antonio Guterres’ call for climate action.
5. Cyclone-30: India’s biggest cyclotron facility becomes operational
- India’s biggest cyclotron facility named Cyclone-30 became operational at Kolkata-based Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre (VECC), which comes under Department of Atomic Energy (DAE).
- Cyclotron is used to produce radioisotopes for diagnostic and therapeutic use for cancer care. Radiations from these isotopes are used to destroy cancer cells.
- It will produce radioisotopes vital for diagnosis and treatment of cancer.It will be first and only cyclotron facility in country to produce Germanium 68 radioisotopes, which is used in diagnosis of breast cancer.
6. Government launches National Database on Sexual Offenders
- Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) has launched India’s National Database of Sexual Offenders (NDSO). With this, India became the ninth nation to maintain such thorough database.
- NDSO will not be available for general public but only to law enforcement agencies for effectively tracking and investigating cases of sexual offences.
- NDSO is initiative under National Mission for Safety of Women aimed at curbing crimes against women and children.
7. MHA Signs MoU with ISRO To Set Up An Integrated Control Room for Emergency Response
- The Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) and Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Department of Space signed an MoU for setting up of an state-of-the-art Integrated Control Room for Emergency Response (ICR-ER) in Ministry of Home Affairs.
- ISRO will render its technical expertise for setting up of proposed ICR-ER whereas the project will be executed under overall supervision of MHA.
8. DRDO Successfully Flight Tested Tactical Missile ‘Prahar’
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight tested the indigenously developed surface-to-surface tactical missile ‘Prahar’, from Launch Complex-III, ITR, Balasore, Odisha.
- Range stations and electro-optical systems tracked the missile throughout its flight. ‘Prahar’ is a contemporary weapon system capable of carrying multiple types of warheads and neutralizing a wide variety of targets.
9. PM Modi Laid Foundation Stone For World-Class Convention Centre In Delhi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of India International Convention and Expo Centre (IICC) in Dwarka, New Delhi. The facilities provided at the centre will be on par with the best in the world in size and quality.
- It will rank among the top 10 in the world and the biggest indoor exhibition space in India. The project is planned over an area of 221.37 acres in Sector 25, Dwarka, at an estimated cost of Rs 25,703 crore.
10. Anushka Sharma Receives Smita Patil Award
- Union Transport Minister felicitated Bollywood actor Anushka Sharma during the 34th anniversary of Priyadarshni Academy Global Award, in Mumbai. She received the Smita Patil award for best actor.