GK Update & Current Affairs: 22nd August 2018
1. 1st Ever IAF-RMAF Joint Air Exercise Begins In Malaysia
- The first-ever joint air exercise involving the Indian Air Force (IAF) and the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) commenced at Subang Air Base in Malaysia.
- India has been eyeing a foothold at the strategically important Subang Air Base. The main aim of the exercise seeks to deepen defence and military ties between the two countries.
2. Ram Nath Kovind Appoints 7 New Governors
- President Ram Nath Kovind appointed governors for seven states Bihar, Haryana, Uttarakhand, Jammu and Kashmir, Sikkim, Meghalaya, and Tripura.
- The newly appointed Governors of 7 states are as follows-
1. Satya Pal Malik – Jammu & Kashmir (Replaced NN Vohra)
2. Tathagata Roy – Meghalaya (Replaced Ganga Prasad)
3. Lalji Tandon – Bihar (Replaced Satya Pal Malik)
4. Ganga Prasad – Sikkim (Replaced Shriniwas Patil)
5. Kaptan Singh Solanki -Tripura (Replaced Tathagata Roy)
6. Satyadev Narayan Arya – Haryana (Replaced Kaptan Singh Solanki)
7. Baby Rani Maurya – Uttarakhand (Replaced K K Paul)
3. HAL becomes first PSU to transact on TReDS Platform
- State-owned aerospace and defence manufacturer Hindustan Aeronautics (HAL) became the first public sector enterprise (PSU) to make transaction on RXIL TReDS platform.
- It executed its first digitised invoice discounting transaction on RXIL TReDS platform by accepting digital invoice uploaded by Nasik-based MSME (micro category) vendor Narendra Udyog. This transaction was financed by Bank of Baroda.
- TReDS is online electronic institutional mechanism for facilitating the financing of trade receivables of micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) through multiple financiers. RXIL is India’s first TReDS platform operating since January 2017.
4. Government to set up Cyclone Warning Centre in Kerala:
- Union Ministry of Earth Sciences has announced to set up Cyclone Warning Centre in Kerala’s capital Thiruvananthapuram. It also proposed to set up C-band Doppler weather radar at Mangalore, Karnataka. This comes in view of recent heavy rainfall and concerns over extreme weather activities in future.
- The centre will be equipped with state- of-the-art infrastructure including forecasting tools to provide daily weather alerts, issue weather warnings and coastal warnings or bulletins (for fishermenetc).
- At present, IMD has six cyclone warning centres, four along east coast at Chennai (Tamil Nadu), Visakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh), Bhubaneswar (Odisha) and Kolkata (West Bengal), and two along west coast at Ahmedabad (Gujarat) and Mumbai (Maharashtra).
5. Chhattisgarh Announces Renaming Of Naya Raipur To Atal Nagar
- In a tribute to the late former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, the Chhattisgarh Cabinet approved the proposal to rename Naya Raipur as ‘Atal Nagar’. Chief Minister Raman Singh made the announcement after a Cabinet meeting.
- The Bilaspur University will be known as Atal Bihari Vajpayee University while the Narrow Gauge Line will be called Atal Path. The Central Park, which is being constructed beside collectorate, will be named as Atal Park.
6. Forbes Released List Of Highest Paid Female Athletes: Serena Williams Tops, PV Sindhu Ranks 7th
- Serena Williams (with earnings of $18.1 million) was the highest paid female athlete for a third consecutive year in 2018, according to “List Of Highest Paid Female Athletes 2018” published by Forbes.
- Dane Caroline Wozniacki, who captured her maiden grand slam title at Australian Open 2018, was second on the list with combined earnings of ($13 million). Indian badminton player P.V. Sindhu was at seventh place with earnings of $8.5 million.
The Top 3 Highest Paid Female Athletes On The List Are:
1. Serena Williams ($18.1 million),
2. Dane Caroline Wozniacki ($13 million),
3. Sloane Stephens ($11.2 million).
7. Warne’s Autobiography ‘No Spin’ To Come Out In October
- Spin legend Shane Warne will talk about his extraordinary cricketing career and his life off the pitch besides unveiling several unknown facts in his autobiography titled ‘No Spin’ which will be published in October 2018.
- “No Spin” is the true story behind the headlines, in Warne’s own voice, and challenges some of the enduring myths and untruths that surround him.
8. VVS Laxman Pens Autobiography ‘281 And Beyond’
- Veteran cricketer VVS Laxman, known for the suppleness of his wrists, has penned down his autobiography titled, “281 and Beyond”. The book will be released this year in November.
- The book will be released by the Westland Publications. The title has been borrowed from the Hyderabad stylist’s fabulous series-turning innings of 281 against Australia at the Eden Gardens in 2001.
9. Rahi Sarnobat 1st Indian Female Shooter To Win Asiad Gold
- Shooter Rahi Sarnobat won the women’s 25m Pistol event at Asian Games 2018 in Indonesia. With this, she becomes the first ever Indian female shooter to win gold in the history of Asian Games.
- Manu Bhaker who had won gold at Commonwealth Games 2018, finished sixth in the event. India has now two gold medals in shooting at the Asiad 2018.