Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 22nd September 2017
1. Himachal Pradesh becomes first Indian state to launch electric bus service:
- The Himachal Pradesh Govt. has launched the first electric bus service on 51km ecologically fragile between Manali and Rohtang Pass.
- Now, the HP state has become the first in the world to ply electric buses at an altitude of 13 thousand feet.
- The move was made amidst concern over increasing environmental degradation in the Rohtang Pass area due to plying of diesel taxis.
- Each electric bus has a capacity to carry 30 passengers and can cover 200 km with the fully charged batteries.
2. INS Kalavari: India’s first home built submarine handed over to Indian Navy
- India’s first ingenuously built INS Kalavari submarine was handed over to Indian Navy by state-owned Mazagon Dock Limited in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- This is Indian Navy’s first new conventional submarine in two decades. Its induction will be landmark milestone in India’s bid to build its underwater warfare capabilities with an eye on China and Pakistan.
3. Textiles Minister Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani inaugurates VASTRA 2017:
- The Union Textiles Minister Smriti Irani and Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje inaugurated the 6th edition of the four-day international textile and apparel fair, ‘VASTRA 2017’ in Jaipur, Rajasthan. More than 50 countries and 13 Indian States are participating in VASTRA 2017.
- VASTRA 2017 is an all-encompassing trade fair and conference on Textiles and Apparel presenting a fusion of the finest and the latest in textiles products.
- The event is jointly organized by Rajasthan State Industrial Development and Investments Corporation Limited (RIICO) and Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry and is supported by the Government of Rajasthan.
4. Ministry of Environment to hold quiz on environment ‘Prakriti Khoj’:
- The Ministry of Environment, Forest, and Climate Change will hold a quiz on environment ‘Prakriti Khoj’ throughout the country.
- The quiz is planned in five rounds, the qualifying round (first round) will begin on 25th Sep and continue till 29th of this month.
- The second round (30th October to 3rd of November), the third round (20th to 24 of November) while the fourth round (4th to 6th of December) and fifth round (18th to 20th December). The quiz will be conducted online through multiple-choice questions.
5. ‘Newton’ India’s Official Entry For Oscars 2018:
- ‘Newton’ will be India’s official entry for the Best Foreign Film category at the Oscars 2018, according to the Film Federation of India.
- The movie directed by Amit Masurkar, starring Rajkummar Rao, tells the story of a polling officer Newton Kumar who is bent on conducting free and fair elections in the conflict-ridden jungles of Chhattisgarh.
6. Dr. Mahesh Sharma releases the book Bhartiya Kala Mein Salil Kridayen Evam Sadyahsnata Nayika:
- The Union Minister of State ‘Dr. Mahesh Sharma’ has released the book titled ‘Bhartiya Kala Mein Salil Kridayen Evam Sadyahsnata Nayika’ at a function in National Museum.
- This book authored by Dr. Kshetrapal Gangwar & Shri Sanjib Kumar Singh, based on original research, written to highlight the Indian Art.
- The literary sources and archaeological evidence proves that it was a dear subject for the artist and Literary persons.
7. Uber barred from operating in London:
- Transport authority of London has rejected cab-hailing startup Uber’s application to renew its license to operate in the city.
- Claiming that Uber’s cab-hailing service is not “fit and proper”, officials said, “Uber’s approach and conduct demonstrate a lack of corporate responsibility”.
- Responding to this, the company said it will affect 3.5 million Londoners and over 40,000 licensed drivers.
8. American boxer ‘Jake LaMotta’ passes away:
- Former World Middleweight Champion and stand-up comedian Jake LaMotta (95-years) passed away in Miami.
- The boxing legend’s life story was told in the movie Raging Bull where he was played by Robert De Niro who paid tribute to him.
- Fighting mostly as a middleweight and known as the “Raging Bull” and “Bronx Bull,” LaMotta finished his 13-year career with 83 victories (30 by knockout), 19 losses and four draws.
9. World’s richest woman Liliane Bettencourt passes away:
- French businesswoman, world’s richest woman ‘Liliane Bettencourt’ (94-years) passed away in Paris.
- In 2016, Bettencourt was ranked as the richest woman in the world with a fortune of USD 39.5bn by Forbes magazine.
- Bettencourt was the only child of Louise Madelaine Berthe and Eugene Schueller (founded L’Oreal). She inherited L’Oreal group empire when her father died in 1957.
10. PV Sindhu becomes world number 2 in latest rankings:
- Rio Olympic silver medalist PV Sindhu has jumped two places to the second spot in the BWF women’s singles ranking.
- This is the second time that Sindhu is world number two after being at the position for a week in April this year.
- Sindhu has won three international titles this year, including the Korea Open, which she won last week.