Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 23rd September 2017
1. Dharmendra Pradhan to host first LPG Panchayat in Gandhinagar:
- Union Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas Dharmendra Pradhan will inaugurate one of the ambitious programmes of the Centre, LPG Panchayat, aimed at encouraging rural communities to turn to clean fuel.
- The First LPG Panchayat will be held in Gandhinagar, where Pradhan will preside over the interaction between women using LPG under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjawala Yojana (PMUY) and the companies.
- According to data shared by the oil marketing companies, so far three crore connections have been allotted under the PMUY against the target of five crore by 2019.
2. Dr. Harshvardhan Launches Pt. Deen Dayal Upadhyay Vigyan Gram Sankul Pariyojana:
- Dr. Harshvardhan launched “Pt Deen Dayal Upadhyay Vigyan Gram Sankul Pariyojana” which will experiment and endeavour to formulate and implement appropriate S&T Interventions for Sustainable Development through cluster approach in Uttarakhand.
- Department of Science and Technology is implementing several initiatives for upliftment and economic development of rural areas in the country.
3. Govt Launches Campaign to Sensitise Women About Cancer:
- Minister of State Health and Family Welfare Anupriya Patel launched a nationwide health campaign to sensitise women about the early screening and the preventive care for cancer.
- Themed ‘Nurturing the Nurturer’, the campaign was launched by FICCI Ladies Organisation (FLO) in partnership with the Apollo Hospitals group.
4. Balraj Joshi Appointed as New NHPC Chairman:
- Balraj Joshi was appointed the chairman-cum-managing director (CMD) of NHPC Ltd, the country’s premier hydropower utility. Joshi is at present director (technical) in the organisation.
- According to another order, P. Alli Rani has been appointed the CMD of Cotton Corporation of India (CCI) Ltd. She is at present director (finance) in Container Corporation of India Limited. Rani has been appointed to the post for a period of five years.
5. Iran tests new ballistic missile:
- Iran has tested a new ballistic missile ‘Khorramshahr’ that can carry multiple warheads and has a range of 2,000km.
- The Khorramshahr missile has become smaller in size and more tactical. Iran unveiled the ballistic missile as its president stepped up pressure on the United States by defending its right to strengthen military defenses.
6. India Gets its First High Horsepower Locomotive from France:
- India has received its first High Horsepower Locomotive with the bodyshell of 12000 HP loco from Alstom France at Kolkata port. This first-of-its-kind high-power electric locomotive will be used to haul freight trains at twice the existing speed by 2018.
- This is the first major FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) project in the rail sector. The first such locomotive is estimated to cost about Rs 30 crore. The Indian Railways is currently using 6,000HP locomotives for freight services. The locomotive will run at a speed of up to 120 km/h.
7. Dabur India Ties Up with Amazon for Ayurveda Marketplace:
- Dabur India has tied up with e-commerce major Amazon for an online Ayurveda marketplace which will house all ayurvedic brands and products of the country.
- The company will also offer consumers an insight into various ayurvedic medicines for treating a variety of ailments. The exclusive Ayurveda e-marketplace has been hosted by Amazon India and the content is developed by Dabur India.
8. SBI launches Indian bond index series in London:
- State Bank of India (SBI) has launched the FTSE SBI Bond Index series in partnership with global index provider FTSE 100, which will give tools to investors from India, the UK and globally to analyse India’s government bond market, and drive growth in this market.
- This index, launched in collaboration with the London Stock Exchange, will ensure that international investors have an international benchmark that is transparent, that is well governed and that is something they can easily rely on.
9. Samsung’s Bixby Voice now works in India:
- Bixby takes some initial setting up, requiring users to input their voice, reading commands and sentences and trying out a few tasks.
- Bixby is meant to do additional and on-phone tasks which Samsung hopes will make getting things done faster and easier. Bixby Voice can be triggered by saying “Hi Bixby” to a sleeping device also.
10. Deborah Herold wins two Silver medals on day 7 of Asian Indoor Games:
- Indian cyclist ‘Deborah Herold’ bagged two more Silver medals in the 5th Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games at Ashgabat, Turkmenistan.
- She bagged a Silver medal in the six-lap Keirin event in track cycling, and also finished second in the Team sprint event with Alena Reji.
- Earlier, India also won a Silver medal through Malaprabha Yallappa Jadhav in Women’s Kurash, a Martial Arts event.
- India won ninth medals (5 Gold, 6 Silver and 5 Bronze medals).