Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 27th August 2017
1. Mayweather defeats McGregor in ‘richest fight in history’:
- Undefeated professional boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. knocked out UFC champion Conor McGregor in the ‘richest fight in history’ in Las Vegas on Saturday.
- Mayweather, who came out of a two-year retirement for the bout, now takes his professional boxing career’s record to 50-0.
- He was awarded the specially crafted ‘Money Belt’, besides pocketing at least $100 million (over Rs 600 crore).
2. Messi Becomes First Ever Player to Score 350 La Liga Goals:
- Barcelona forward Lionel Messi scored a second-half brace against Alaves, becoming the first ever player to score 350 goals in La Liga.
- Messi’s best goal tally for a season came in 2011/12 when he netted 50 goals in 37 appearances. Messi, who has played 384 league matches, is now 66 goals ahead of rival Cristiano Ronaldo.
3. Biju Patnaik Award for Scientific Excellence:
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik granted the Biju Patnaik Award for Scientific Excellence for the year 2016 to Prof Digambar Behera.
- Digambar Behera is senior professor and Head, Department of Pulmonary Medicine, Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER) in Chandigarh.
- The award is given by Odisha Bigyan Academy(OBA) each year for outstanding research contribution in science and technology, during the five years preceding year of award.
4. NPCI approves Spice Digitals operation under Bharat Bill Payment System:
- The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has given a nod to Spice Digital Ltd. for processing bill payments under the Bharat Bill Payment System (BBPS) as a Bharat Bill Payment Operating Unit (BBPOU).
- Spice Money Ltd, a fintech company had received an in-principle approval to set-up as a BBPOU under the Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007 in May 2016.
- In August 2016, NPCI had launched a pilot project for BBPS with eight BBPS operating unit, Spice Digital was one of them.
5. PM announces talent search portal for budding sportspersons:
- Addressing the nation in his ‘Mann Ki Baat’ programme, PM Narendra Modi announced the creation of a sports talent search portal for India’s aspiring sportspersons.
- On the portal, sportspersons can register and get help from the Ministry of Sports in getting proper training.
- Athletes will be required to upload their videos on the portal, showcasing their excellence in any sport.
6. Eronet to be launched in Assam on 28th Aug:
- A new internet based software ‘Eronet’ will be launched by the Election Commission of India in Assam on 28th August this year.
- Eronet is useful for various activities relating to electoral roll such as the inclusion of name, deletion, name correction, transfer of name including providing the new photo identity cards.
- General voters may apply online for facilitation of various activities relating to electoral roll through the already in-use portal ‘nvsp.in’ and Eronet.
7. N. Bhupathi, a Frog with the face of a pig:
- Indian scientists have discovered a new species of frog ‘Nasikabatrachus bhupathi’ that has a snout-shaped nose, just like a pig in West Ghats.
- Soiled-dwelling species ‘Nasikabatrachus bhupathi’ discovered by scientists from the Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology (CCMB) in Hyderabad.
- It inhabits the eastern slopes of the Western Ghats, near the Srivilliputhur Grizzled Giant Squirrel Wildlife Sanctuary in Tamil Nadu.
- It has been named after the Indian herpetologist S. Bhupathy.
8. HDFC Bank Launches All-in-one PoS Machine:
- HDFC Bank announced a software upgrade to create a single point-of-sale (PoS) machine which will accept payments through Unified Payments Interface (UPI),
- BharatQR, SMS Pay and the bank’s mobile wallet, in addition to the traditional mode of swiping cards.
- The merchant has to do is to update his/her machine with a software at no cost.
- The new software will work only on HDFC Bank-issued PoS machines, but will accept any card or app from any bank/service provider.
9. Banks to Pay 3% IGST on Gold Imports:
- Banks importing gold and precious metals will have to pay 3 per cent tax under the GST which can be claimed as input tax credit.
- Under GST 3% Integrated-GST is payable on all imports of precious metals in addition to the basic customs duty. IGST paid can be taken as input tax credit by the banks.