Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 27th September 2017
1. The World Tourism Day is being observed today:
- The World Tourism Day (WTD) is being observed annually on 27th September (since-1980) to raise awareness about the importance of tourism.
- The purpose of this day is to raise awareness on the role of tourism within the international community and to demonstrate how it affects social, cultural, political, and economic values worldwide.
- The theme for this year is ‘International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development’.
Today, President Ram Nath Kovind has given the National Tourism Awards & also launched Incredible India 2.0 Campaign in New Delhi.
- On 22 December 2015, during its 70th session, the United Nations General Assembly designated 2017 as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development.
2. Ram Vilas Paswan launches ‘e-NWR’ System:
- The union Consumer Affairs and Food Minister ‘Ram Vilas Paswan’ has launched the Web Portal of Warehousing Development and Regulatory Authority (WDRA) and Electronic Negotiable Warehouse Receipt (e-NWR) System in New Delhi.
- The ‘e-NWRs’ would be immune from any tempering, mutilation, fudging, loss or damage and with no possibility of any multiple financing.
- These NWRs will not only facilitate an easy pledge financing by banks and other financial institutions but also smooth trading on various trading centres like commodity exchanges, electronic National Agriculture Markets (e-NAM) and other electronic platforms.
3. Kandla Port Renamed as Deendayal Port:
- The Kandla Port, one of the top 12 major ports in the country, has been renamed as Deendayal Port in the name of Hindutva icon Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay.
- Kandla Port, located on the Gulf of Kutch in Gujarat, is one of the twelve major ports in the country
- Kandla Port is the largest port of India by volume of cargo handled.
4. Centre approves 221 rural roads projects, bridges for Himachal Pradesh:
- The union govt. has approved 221 rural roads projects and bridges involving an expenditure of 782.24 crore rupees for Himachal under the ‘Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana’ (PMGSY).
- The projects would be funded in the ratio of 90:10 by the central and state governments.
- The approval includes 11 bridges at different locations in the state.
5. Cabinet approves umbrella scheme of Modernisation of Police Forces:
- The Cabinet Committee of Security (CCS) has approved implementation of umbrella scheme of Modernisation of Police Forces (MPF) for years 2017 to 2020 to strengthen country’s law and order mechanism, modernise police forces and effectively fight against terrorism.
- It is biggest ever internal security scheme in country. It has financial outlay of Rs.25,060 crore out of which Central Government share will be Rs.18,636 crore and states’ share will be Rs.6,424 crore.
6. Joao Lourenco sworn in as Angola’s new president:
- Joao Lourenco (63-years) has been sworn in as President of Southern African country ‘Angola’. He took over the position from Jose Eduardo dos Santos (ruled for 38 years).
- Lourenco will be Angola’s first head of state to be constitutionally limited to serving two five-year terms. Earlier, he served as the Minister of Defense from 2014 to 2017.
7. ‘Incredible India’ Campaign Launched in Cairo:
- India launched a campaign to woo Egyptian travellers and make them aware of magnificent holiday options in the country.
- The month-long “Incredible India!” campaign has been organised by the Embassy of India in Cairo.
8. Maharashtra Govt Signs MoU with South Korea:
- The Maharashtra government has signed a MoU with South Korea for increased co-operation in infrastructure projects like development of smart cities, roads, airports and metros on the first day of Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis’ visit to that country.
- This MoU is to help with implementation strategy, legal systems, policies, technologies and information in infrastructure development. Fadnavis embarked on a three-day tour to South Korea and Singapore.
9. Bilal Dar from Srinagar becomes an ambassador for Swachhata Hi Seva:
- Bilal Dar, a young boy from Srinagar has become the brand ambassador for Srinagar Municipal Corporation. Dar has been contributing to the ‘Swachhta Abhiyan’ since the age of 12.
- ‘Swachhta Hi Sewa’ campaign has turned out to be monetarily beneficial for residents and scrap buyers/dealers, besides helping in enhancing preventive measures against vector-borne diseases.
- Swachhata Hi Seva, Cleanliness is Service, from 15th September 2017 to Gandhi Jayanti on 2nd October 2017.
10. CISF Security at Mumbai Airport Rated Best in World:
- The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) security at the Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (CSIA) in Mumbai has been recognised as the best service in this domain by a global quality rating agency.
- The latest initiative of doing away with the tagging and stamping of hand baggage, handling increasing passenger footfalls smoothly, and feeling of being safe and secure by passengers, etc, were taken into account while deciding the award.
- The CISF has been providing security coverage to the CSIA, the second busiest and hypersensitive airport in India, since August 21, 2002.
11. Minister of Communication Shri Manoj Sinha Launched First Ever India Mobile Congress 2017:
- The Minister of Communication Shri Manoj Sinha launched DoT’s first ever Mobile, Internet and Technology event in India – India Mobile Congress 2017 at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
- Led by Department of Telecom as the nodal ministry, the India Mobile Congress is being organised by Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI). The largest and first ever event also has the support of the other ministries like the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), Skill Development and Entrepreneurship amongst others.
12. RIL World’s 3rd Largest Energy Firm: Platts Rankings:
- Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) is the world’s third-biggest energy company behind Russian gas firm Gazprom and German utility E.ON, according to Platts Top 250 Global Energy Company Rankings.
- State-owned Indian Oil Corp (IOC) climbed to 7th position in the 2017 ranking, up from 14th rank in 2016. Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) was placed at 11th position in 2017 as against 20th in 2016.
- Coal India Ltd, the world’s largest coal producer, was the only Indian firm to have slipped in the ranking – 45 in 2017.
13. India is world’s 40th most competitive economy: WEF
- India has been ranked as the 40th most competitive economy on the World Economic Forum’s global competitiveness index, which is topped by Switzerland.
- On the list of 137 economies, Switzerland (1st) is followed by the US (2nd) and Singapore (3rd).
- India’s performance also improved in ICT (information and communications technologies) indicators, particularly Internet bandwidth per user, mobile phone and broadband subscriptions, and Internet access in schools.
- The World Economic Forum (WEF) is a Swiss non-profit foundation, based in Geneva, Switzerland.
14. Govt to launch Mudra Promotion Campaign across the country from today:
- The union government has launched Mudra Promotion Campaign on a pan-India basis in different parts of the country from Varanasi(till 17th of October).
- According to the Ministry of Finance, 50 such campaigns will be organized in different parts of the country where Union Ministers will take part.
- on the 2nd of October, the similar function will be organized at Gandhinagar in Gujarat.
The Micro-Unit Development and Refinance Agency, or MUDRA Scheme were launched to fund and promote microfinance institutions, which would in turn, provide loans to small and vulnerable sections of the businesses.
15. IDBI Bank Launches ‘Project Nishchay’ for Turnaround:
- IDBI Bank has launched ‘Project Nishchay’ in partnership with the Boston Consulting Group (BCG) to accelerate its turnaround program and improve financial performance.
- The project will be led by senior management at IDBI Bank along with BCG. BCG will assist the bank to identify areas for cost containment and revenue maximization leading to sustainable growth and profitability of the Bank.
16. India to host South Asian Boxing Championship in Guwahati:
- According to the Boxing Federation of India (BFI), India will host the South Asian boxing Championship (SABC) for the first time in Guwahati from 6th to 10th December this year.
- The country will also host the ‘India International Open tournament’ in New Delhi in the third week of January.
- Pakistan, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, SARCC countries and countries like Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, and Ukraine among other top boxing nations participating in the Championship.
Capt. G Manoharan for the Youth Men’s team, Bhaskar Bhatt for the Youth (Women) squad and MS Dhaka will be in charge of junior men.