Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 28th August 2017
1. Nitasha Biswas crowned first Miss TransQueen India:
- Kolkata’s trans woman ‘Nitasha Biswas’ has crowned the first Miss TransQueen India in Gurugram, Haryana.
- Currently, Biswas is pursuing Masters in Business Management in Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Loiloi from Manipur bagged the first runner-up position and Ragasya from Chennai was crowned the second runner-up,
- Biswas will now go to Thailand for Miss International Queen, while Loiloi will compete at Miss Transsexual Australia.
2. ICEX launches world’s first diamond futures contracts:
- The Indian Commodity Exchange (ICEX) as launched world’s first diamond futures contracts to provide exporters with a hedging tool.
- India is a global diamond polishing hub where 14 out of every 15 rough diamonds in the world are polished. The futures contracts will enable companies involving in cut and polished gems business to better hedge price risks.
- ICEX has received approval from market regulator Securities Exchange Board of India (SEBI) to commence trading with diamond futures contracts.
- The ICEX has started trading in 1 carat/100 cent contracts and eventually in future will add 50 cent and 30 cent contracts.
3. Justice Dipak Misra sworn in as new Chief Justice of India:
- Today, Justice Dipak Misra (64-year) has sworn in as the 45th Chief Justice of India(CJI).
- President Ramnath Kovind administered the oath of office to Justice Misra at Rashtrapati Bhawan.
- He replaced Chief Justice J S Khehar and hold the post till 2nd October 2018.
Article 124 of the Constitution of India provides for the manner of appointing judges to the Supreme Court.
4. India, China Agree to Disengage at Doklam:
- India and China have agreed to withdraw their troops from Doklam after being in a standoff for over two months. According to the Ministry of External Affairs, the expeditious disengagement has been agreed to and is going on.
- The standoff had started after India objected to China constructing a road in the disputed area.
5. Sushma Swaraj inaugurates first ‘Videsh Bhavan’ in Mumbai:
- The union External Affairs Minister ‘Sushma Swaraj’ has inaugurated the country’s first ‘Videsh Bhavan’ in the Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC), in Mumbai.
- The ‘Videsh Bhavan’ in the city is the first integrated office complex of the MEA established in any state of the country.
- Now, the four offices of the ministry in Mumbai (Passport Office, Office of the Protector of Emigrants, Office of the Regional Director of ICCR and Branch Secretariat of MEA) will be functioning under one roof in the newly constructed building.
6. Jaitley launches BEML’s ultra-modern metro manufacturing facility:
- The Union Minister Arun Jaitley has launched BEML’s third Line Ultra-Modern Metro Manufacturing Facility to enhance the production of metro cars for the forthcoming metro projects in India.
- He also inaugurated the indigenously designed and developed biggest ever diesel excavator BE1800D and crawler dozer BD475-1 and T-72 hull.
- It has been designed for fitting into tanks, at Kolar Gold Fields (KGF) unit of Bharath Earth Movers Limited.
- BEML had forayed into manufacturing and supply of hi-tech metro cars during 2002 and so far supplied over 1,000 metro cars to Delhi, Bengaluru and Jaipur Metro Corporations.
7. Airtel Ties up with Symantec:
- The country’s largest telecom services provider, Bharti Airtel, entered into a partnership with Symantec Corp, the world’s leading cyber security company, to serve the growing cyber security requirements of businesses in India.
- It will provide protection and prevention of online threats in an increasingly digitally connected world. According to the agreement, Airtel will be the exclusive Cyber Security Services partner for Symantec in India, and will distribute Symantec’s enterprise security software.
8. Nozomi Okuhara wins World Badminton Championship 2017:
- Nozomi Okuhara (Japan) defeated Ace shuttler PV Sindhu (India) to claim the 2017 BWF World Championships at the Emirates Arena in Glasgow, Scotland.
- Sindhu lost to her Japanese rival Okuhara 19-21 22-20 20-22. Earlier, Saina Nehwal ended her campaign with a bronze.
- Sindhu became only the second Indian to win a silver medal after Saina Nehwal had achieved the feat in the last edition at Jakarta in 2015.
9. Rural Games to Take Place in Delhi:
- Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Minister Mr. Vijay Goel announced that the first edition of Rural Games or Grameen Khel Mahotsav will kick-start from Delhi.
- The Rural Games will aim at popularising the indigenous games like wrestling, athletics etc. and will also have fun games like Matka Race, Tug of War for senior citizens to add the fun element in the games.
10. Lewis Hamilton wins 2017 Belgian Grand Prix:
- British racing driver Lewis Hamilton has won the 2017 Belgian Grand Prix of Formula One (F1) at Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps Stavelot, Belgium.
- Hamilton is the only driver to have won at least one Grand Prix in every season he has competed in.
- Top three winners are Lewis Hamilton (United Kingdom) Mercedes, Sebastian Vettel (Germany)Ferrari, Daniel Ricciardo (Australia) Red Bull Racing-TAG Heuer.
11. India lift SAFF Under-15 football Championship title:
- The young guns of India have lifted the South Asian Football Federation (SAFF) Under-15 football Championship title at Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Lalrokima and Vikram struck in the second half to guide India edge past hosts Nepal 2-1 in the final.
- Six nations participated in the tournament where each of the sides was divided into two pools comprising three teams each.
12. Govt. notifies Banking Regulation (Amendment) Act.:
- The union govt. has notified the Banking Regulation (Amendment) Act. The Act authorizes the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to issue directions to banks to initiate insolvency resolution process to recover bad loans.
- The banking sector is saddled with non-performing assets(NPAs) of over 8 lakh crore rupees, of which, 6 lakh crore rupees are with public sector banks.
- Earlier, the govt. had promulgated an ordinance authorizing the RBI to issue directions to banks to initiate insolvency resolution process under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
- The RBI had identified 12 accounts each having more than five thousand crores of outstanding loans and accounting for 25% of total NPAs of banks for immediate referral for resolution under the bankruptcy law.
13. IRDAI Launches Central Database of Insurance Sales Persons:
- The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) has launched a Central Database of all Insurance Sales Persons in the country.
- Named as `Envoy’, the database will ensure that all licensed insurance sales persons working for insurers and intermediaries including entities such as insurance agents, broker qualified persons, specified persons of corporate agents do not work with multiple insurers and intermediaries in the same business category.
14. Baba Ram Rahim Sentenced 20 Years of Imprisonment:
- Special CBI judge Jagdeep Singh sentenced Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh to 20(10+10, for two rape cases) years of imprisonment. The sentencing came three days after the CBI court in Panchkula convicted Singh in a 2002 rape case.
- A three-tier security ring was set up around the district jail. The Dera chief was sent for a medical examination and then will be given a prison uniform and will be allotted a jail cell.
- The CBI filed the charge-sheet against the Dera head in Ambala court in July 2007 about five years after the registration of the rape case (in 2002).