Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 28th September 2017
1. World Maritime Day: 28th September
- The World Maritime Day is being observed across the world on 28th September (last Thursday of September) to highlight the importance of shipping safety and maritime security.
- The Theme for this year is Connecting Ships, Ports and People.
- This year’s theme was chosen to provide an opportunity to focus on the many diverse actors involved in the shipping and logistic areas.
2. World Rabies Day being observed today: 28th September
- The World Rabies Day is observed on 28th September (since-2007) across the world to raise awareness about the rabies disease and its preventable measures.
- The day also marks the anniversary of French chemist and microbiologist Louis Pasteur’s death, who developed the first rabies vaccine.
- The theme for World Rabies Day 2017 is “Rabies: Zero by 30”.
3. NDMA’s 13th Formation Day observed:
- The 13th Formation Day of National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) was celebrated across the country. The theme of this year’s Formation Day is School Safety.
- On this occasion, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh released National Disaster Management Guidelines on School Safety Policy with an aim to strengthen the risk resilience of schools across the country.
- Moreover, National Disaster Management Guidelines on Boat Safety and Cultural Heritage Sites & Precincts, and a study report on Chennai Floods of 2015 were also released.
- The NDMA is apex statutory body for disaster management in India under aegis of Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
4. CARA launches monthly “Jan Sampark” Program to facilitate adoption:
- The Central Adoption Resource Authority (CARA) has started a monthly Jan Sampark program to enable the public to interact with its officials for seeking information related to adoption as well as flagging their concerns.
- Around 150 Prospective Adoptive Parents (PAPs), Adoptive Parents and representatives of agencies participated in the session.
- The event will now be a regular feature every month apart from the quarterly Facebook live chat by CEO CARA.
- Special needs adoption module of child adoption resource information and guidance system, as well as the newly launched Grievance/Query portal were shared with all the stakeholders.
5. Govt. sets up DPIDF worth Rs 10,881 cr to boost dairy sector:
- The union govt. has set up the Dairy Processing and Infrastructure Development Fund (DPIDF) worth Rs 10,881 crore to boost the dairy sector during the period from 2017-18 to 2028-29.
- DPIDF has been set up as a corpus of Rs. 8004 crores with National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD).
- 95 lakh farmers from about 50,000 villages will be benefited through DPIDF and more employment opportunities will be generated.
- DPIDF will enable milk cooperatives and other entities which process milk to upgrade their technology in turn directly benefitting farmers.
6. ADB to Increase Annual Lending to India to $4 billion:
- The Asian Development Bank will increase its annual lending to India to a maximum of $4 billion between 2018 and 2022 to help fasten inclusive economic transformation towards upper middle-income status.
- The proposal was endorsed at new ADB Country Partnership Strategy for 2018- 2022.
- The new lending programme, which includes private sector operations, is much higher than the average $2.65 billion a year in loans extended during 2012 and 2016.
7. Indian Railways to launch 100 New Suburban Rail Services in Mumbai area:
- Indian Railways is going to introduce 100 additional local train services on its Mumbai suburban network of Western Railway and Central Railway zones.
- Out of these 100 services, 32 new services will be introduced on Western Railway while 68 services will be introduced on Central Railway, giving major boost to suburban rail services in Mumbai area.
- With these additional services, total suburban services in Mumbai will increase from existing 2983 services to 3083 suburban services. It will benefit around 77 lakh commuters travelling daily over Mumbai suburban network by providing faster commute and reducing congestion.
8. Central Government increased Doctors Retirement age to 65 years:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi led Union Cabinet has approved the suggestion to increase the retirement age of doctors to 65 years.
- The decision is expected to help in better patient care, better academic activities in Medical institutes and colleges as also it will help in effective and better implementation of National Health Programmes (NHP) for delivery of health care services.
- It is also expected to benefit around 1445 doctors under various Departments/Ministries of the Central Government.
9. Russia, US Partner to Build 1st Ever Space Station Near Moon:
- Russian and US space agencies, Roscosmos and NASA, have agreed to jointly build a “deep space gateway”, the first-ever astronaut-tended space station around the Moon.
- The gateway would help prepare for manned missions to deep space destinations including Mars. NASA and Roscosmos are two of the major partners in the $100-billion Earth-orbiting International Space Station (ISS).
10. BHU Appoints its First Woman Chief Proctor:
- The Banaras Hindu University has appointed Professor Royana Singh as its Chief Proctor.
- She will be the first woman to hold the post, as per an official of the 101-year-old central University.
- Mrs Singh is a professor in the Anatomy department of the Institute of Medical Sciences. She takes charge after O.N Singh resigned from the post of Chief Proctor taking “moral responsibility” for the incident of lathi charge on students who were protesting against the victim-blaming of a colleague who was molested in the campus.
11. ICICI Bank Launches ‘Cashback’ Home Loans:
- India’s largest private sector lender, ICICI Bank announced a new home loan scheme that offers borrowers the benefit of 1% cashback on every EMI, for the entire tenure of the loan. The offer will be valid for home loans with a minimum tenure of 15 years and the maximum tenure of 30 years.
- Customers can choose to adjust the cashback against principal outstanding of their home loan. The cashback will start to accrue from the first EMI itself. It will first get credited to the customer after completion of the 36th EMI.
12. Playboy founder Hugh Hefner passes away:
- An American men’s lifestyle and entertainment magazine ‘Playboy’ founder ‘Hugh Hefner’(91-years) has passed away at his home.
- In 1953, Playboy magazine was founded by Hugh Hefner and his associates in Chicago.
Hefner built a brand that defined the sexual culture of the second half of the 20th century.
- Playboy played an important role in the sexual revolution and remains one of the world’s best-known brands, has grown into Playboy Enterprises.