GK Update & Current Affairs: 29th-30th July 2018
1. World Day against Trafficking in Persons: 30 July
- World Day against Trafficking in Persons is organized across the world by the United Nations on 30 July to Combat Trafficking in Persons, urging Governments worldwide to take coordinated and consistent measures to defeat this scourge.
- The theme for World Day against Trafficking in Persons is ‘Responding to the trafficking of children and young people’.
2. International Tiger Day: 29 July
- International Tiger Day is being celebrated every year on 29 July to raise awareness about tiger conservation.
- As per latest tiger counting (in 2014), Madhya Pradesh has 308 big cats. India’s track record with tiger populations has been encouraging. India is home to 70% of tigers in the world.
3. Unified Commanders’ Conference 2018 Starts in New Delhi
- The two-day Unified Commanders’ Conference (UCC) for the year 2018 started in New Delhi.
- The Annual Conference provides a platform for discussions at the Apex Level on all ‘Joint Issues’ amongst the three Services & Ministry of Defence and enables stock-taking of the previous year and planning the way ahead for the next year.
- During the conference, under the chairmanship of the Chief of Integrated Staff (CISC), a large number of Tri-Services issues would be deliberated thoroughly to arrive at a solution to challenges faced and to evolve plans for the future.
4. Meghalaya Milk Mission Launched in Shillong
- Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Radha Mohan Singh launched the Meghalaya Milk Mission in Shillong. The mission will facilitate in achieving the Centre’s goal of doubling farmer’s income by 2022 through the promotion of milk business in the state.
- The amount sanctioned for the project is of Rs 215 crores through National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC).
5. Indian Railways Launches ‘Mission Satyanishtha’
- The Indian Railways launched ‘Mission Satyanishtha’ and a programme on Ethics in Public Governance, in a first-of-its-kind event, at a day-long function held at National Rail Museum, New Delhi. The Union Minister of Railways, Piyush Goyal administered the oath to the officers and supervisors at the programme.
- The first-of-its-kind event was inaugurated by Ashwani Lohani, Chairman, Railway Board. The Satyanishtha mission aims to sensitise all railway employees about the need to adhere to good ethics and to maintain high standards of integrity at work.
6. Ashok Leyland to supply 10*10 heavy vehicles to Indian Army
- Indian Army has awarded Rs. 100-crore contract for 81 high mobility 10*10 vehicles to India’s leading vehicle manufacturer Ashok Leyland. This is for first time Indian vehicle manufacturer will deliver heavy duty, high mobility vehicles for the launchers. This will reduce dependency on imports.
- The heavy duty, high mobility vehicles manufactured by Ashok Leyland are fully designed, developed and built in India. They will replace Indian Army’s ageing Russian-built Smerch Multi-Barrel Rocket launchers (MBRL). They will also carry strategic missiles developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).
7. V-46-6 and V92S2: Made in India tank engines handed over to Indian Army:
- Two types of indigenously built high-power multi-fuel engines V-46-6 and V92S2 were handed over to Indian Army for first time under Make in India.
- These engines were manufactured by Engine Factory Avadi (EFA), a unit of Ordnance Factory Board (OFB).
- These engines are based on Russian design. V92S2 is high power diesel engine with 1000 HP capacity and it is fitted in T-90 Battle Tank (Bhisma Tank). V46-6 is also high power diesel engines with 780 HP and it is fitted in T-72 Main Battle Tank (Ajeya Tank). They are manufactured with 100% Made in India parts.
8. Invest India and UAE Ministry Sign MoU for Technological Cooperation
- Invest India and the UAE Minister for Artificial Intelligence (AI) signed an MoU for India – UAE Artificial Intelligence Bridge in New Delhi. This partnership will generate an estimated USD 20 billion in economic benefits during the next decade for both countries.
- The MoU was signed in the presence of Minister of Commerce & Industry and Civil Aviation, Suresh Prabhu and H.E. Ahmad Sultan Al Falahi, Minister Plenipotentiary – Commercial Attache, UAE Embassy at the India leg of GovHack series of World Government Summit.
9. NGT Forms Monitoring Committee For Clean Yamuna Project
- The National Green Tribunal formed a monitoring committee on the cleaning of the Yamuna River. The tribunal headed by National Green Tribunal (NGT) Chairperson A K Goel directed the committee to develop an action plan on the same and submit it by September 2018 and submit a detailed report on the issue by December 31, 2018.
- The green panel has appointed retired expert member B S Sajwan and former Delhi chief secretary Shailaja Chandra as members of the committee.
10. Dharmendra Pradhan Laid Foundation Stone of Permanent Campus For NSTI, Women in Mohali
- The Union Minister for Petroleum & Natural Gas and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Dharmendra Pradhan laid the foundation stone for permanent campus of National Skill Training Institute (NSTI) for Women at Mohali, Punjab. This is the first NSTI Institute for Punjab and only one of its kind in India which is exclusively for women.
- The Minister also launched a unique Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendra (PMKK) which would admit differently abled persons as well, also a first of its kind in India at Mohali. He launched India’s first in-phone guide and mobile application “Go whats That” in Chandigarh.
11. PM Modi Launched Projects Worth Rs60,000 crore in Lucknow
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched projects worth 60,000 crore rupees at the ground-breaking ceremony in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- The ceremony was held to implement 81 of the 1,045 MoUs signed at the Uttar Pradesh Investors’ Summit. The projects launched will create about 2.1 lakh jobs across the state.
12. High-Level Empowered Committee Formed To Address Issues of Stressed Thermal Power Projects
- With a view to resolve the stress and revive such assets, the Government has decided to set up a High-Level Empowered Committee headed by Cabinet Secretary, Pradeep Kumar Sinha with representatives from the Ministry of Railways, Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Power, Ministry of Coal and the lenders having major exposure to the power sector.
- The Committee would look into the various issues with a view to resolve them and maximise the efficiency of investment including changes required to be made in changes required in the provisioning norms/Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code (IBC), Asset Restructuring Company (ARC) Regulations and any other measures proposed for revival of stressed assets so as to avoid such investments becoming NPA.
13. Final Draft Of NRC Released By Assam
- Assam released the final draft of the National Register of Citizens (NRC), seven months after it released the first draft on 1 January 2018, which included 1.9 crore names out of a total applicant pool of 3.29 crore. The recently released list, however, left our 40.07 lakh people wherein 2.89 crore people were found eligible out of 3.29 crore applicants.
- The National Register of Citizens (NRC) is the list of Indian citizens of Assam. It was prepared in 1951, following the census of 1951.
14. Mohun Bagan ‘Ratna’ Conferred on Pradip Chowdhury
- Mohun Bagan ‘Ratna’, the highest honour of Mohun Bagan club was awarded to former India international Pradip Chowdhury at its foundation day programme. Pradip Chowdhury is a former Mohun Bagan captain.
- He is the 18th recipient of Mohun Bagan ‘Ratna’ award. This award was first given to Sailen Manna in 2001.
Other awardees are:
1. Goalkeeper Shilton Paul– Best Footballer for the year 2017-18,
2. Sudip Chatterjee– Best Cricketer,
3. Sourav Das– Best Youth Footballer Player,
4. Special award to – Rahim Ali for his performance in the U-17 World Cup.
15. ONGC Presented With INFRA Icon Award
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) was awarded the INFRA Icon Award in the ‘Global Energy’ category at the mid-day INFRA Icons Awards 2018, in Mumbai. The award was given away by Additional Metropolitan Commissioner, Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA), Pravin Darare.
- The theme of the event was ‘Smart cities envisages to take infrastructure development to a next level’.
16. Yasar Dogu International, Turkey: Bajrang Punia Wins Gold
- In Wrestling, Bajrang Punia has won his second consecutive international gold while Sandeep Tomar had to be content with a silver medal at the Yasar Dogu International in Istanbul, Turkey.
- Indian wrestlers returned with 10 medals, including seven by women, from the ranking event. Vicky won a bronze in the 57 kilogram.
Medals won by Women wrestlers:
1. Gold Medal: Pinki (55kg category).
2. Silver Medal: Seema (53 kilogram) and Pooja Dhanda (57 kilogram), Rajni (72 kilogram).
3. Bronze Medal: Sarita (62 kilogram), Sangeeta Phogat.
17. Prabhat Koli, 1st Asian Teen to Swim UK-France Channel
- A city college student, Prabhat Koli (19), who crossed the English Channel when he was 16, has become the first Asian to swim the choppy water from Jersey (an Island in the UK) to France in cold weather.
- The long-distance sea swimmer covered 25km in 6 hours and 54 minutes.
18. Sourabh Verma Lifts Russian Open Badminton Trophy
- Ace Indian shuttler Sourabh Verma lifted the Russian Open Badminton trophy at Vladivostok. In the title clash, he defeated Japan’s Koki Watanabe and won his first title of the season. Sourabh had won the Chinese Taipei Masters in 2016, and finished runners-up at Bitburger Open the same year.
- In Mixed Doubles, the pair of Rohan Kapoor and Kuhoo Garg, lost in the Final against the Russian-Korean team of Vladimir Ivanov and Min Kyung Kim to settle for a runners-up finish.