Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 29th August 2017
1. National Sports Day being observed today: 29th Aug
- The National Sports day in India is celebrated on 29th August every year to mark the birthday of hockey player Dhyan Chand.
- Dhyan Chand was an Indian field hockey player, who is considered as one of the greatest field hockey players of all time.
- On this occasion, President Ram Nath Kovind will give away the Sports Awards. A total of 29 players have been selected to receive the honors from President. The President will confer Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award, Arjuna Award and Dronacharya Award at Rashtrapati Bhawan, New Delhi.
- In 2012, the Government of India designated 29 August as the country’s ‘National Sports Day’.
2. Government to launch Deep Ocean Mission:
- The Union Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) will launch Deep Ocean Mission by January 2018 to spur research activities in ocean science and develop technology to harness ocean resources.
- The proposed inter-ministerial and interdisciplinary project aims to explore and harness mineral resources beneath the ocean floor.
- The mission is intended to harness ocean resources in a responsible way and play an important transformative role in prosperity and security of the nation.
3. Vice President Launches ‘National Sports Talent Search Portal’:
- The vice president of India Venkaiah Naidu launched the National Sports Talent Search Portal, a government initiative to unearth sporting talent from every nook and corner of the country.
- Under the initiative, a child or his parents, teachers or coaches can upload his bio data or video on the portal.
- The Sports ministry will select talented players and impart training to them at Sports Authority India centres. The portal will also be available as an App enabling it to be downloaded on smart phones.
4. West Bengal’s Gobindobhog rice gets geographical indication status:
- The Geographical Indications Registry (GIR) has granted geographical indication (GI) status to Gobindobhog rice, a speciality from Burdwan district of West Bengal. The state government had applied for GI status for Gobindobhog rice in August 2015.
- Gobindobhog variety of rice is a short grain, white, aromatic, sticky rice having a sweet buttery flavor. It derives its name from principal ingredient usage in preparation of offerings to Govindajiu, the family deity of Setts of Kolkata.
5. Kenya imposes world’s toughest law against plastic bags:
- Kenya has imposed the world’s toughest law against plastic bags in the country to reduce plastic pollution.
- The law punishes Kenyans producing, selling or using plastic bags with a maximum fine of over Rs. 25 lakh or a four-year jail term.
- It took Kenya three attempts over ten years to pass the ban which critics say could cut 80,000 jobs.
6. India, Germany Sign Pact to Improve Grid Integration of Renewable Energy:
- India and Germany signed an agreement on technical cooperation under the Indo-German Energy Programme – Green Energy Corridors (IGEN-GEC).
- The main objective of this program component is to improve the sector framework and conditions for grid integration of renewable energy.
7. Government Imposes Anti-Dumping Duty on Sodium Nitrite Imports from China:
- The Finance Ministry has imposed a five-year anti-dumping duty on Sodium Nitrite imports from China.
- Deepak Nitrite Ltd had filed the petition, which was also supported by Punjab Chemicals & Crop Protection Ltd, seeking sunset review investigations on Sodium Nitrite imports from China.
- There are two more producers of Sodium Nitrite in the country – National Fertilisers Ltd and Rashtriya Chemicals and Fertilisers Limited.
8. Dara Khosrowshahi is New Uber CEO:
- Transport Company Uber has finally selected a new CEO of the company- Dara Khosrowshahi. He is from Iran. Khosrowshahi is the CEO of online travel booking company Expedia Inc.
- He has replaced Travis Kalanick. Khosrowshahi received nearly $95 million in pay in 2015, making him one of the most highly paid leaders in corporate America.
9. NRDC Wins Two Awards:
- National Research Development Corporation (NRDC), the technology transfer and commercialization arm of the Ministry of Science & Technology, has won two accolades.
- It has won the Assocham Services Excellence Award 2017 and its Chairman and Managing Director, H Purushotham, an international recognition.
- The International Association of Advanced Materials (IAAM) Sweden honored Purushotham with the IAAM Medal 2017 for his outstanding R&D contributions in the Advanced Materials Science & Technology during its award ceremony in Stockholm, Sweden.
10. Barefoot footballer Ahmed Khan passes away:
- India’s oldest football Olympian Ahmed Khan (90-year) passed away at his residence in Bengaluru.
- Ahmed was part of the famous ‘barefoot’ football squad that made its debut in Olympic football at the 1948 London Games.
11. FIFA U-17 World Cup Logo for Kochi Venue:
- Kerala Chief Minister Shri Pinarayi Vijayan launched the host city logo for Kochi, one of the venues of FIFA U-17 World Cup India 2017.
- The logo represents and reflects Kochi’s identity and will be a valuable tool in linking the local community in a global World Cup.
- The tournament will be hosted in the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium of the city. In October 2016, Kochi became the first Indian city to be officially declared as one of the venues for hosting the 2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup.
12. Sardar Singh, Devendra Jhajharia conferred with Khel Ratna:
- Former Indian hockey captain Sardar Singh and Paralympian javelin- thrower Devendra Jhajharia were conferred the Khel Ratnas by the President Ram Nath Kovind on Tuesday.
- The awards were presented on the occasion of National Sports Day, which is also the birth anniversary of hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand.
- As many as 29 sports personalities were given the national sports awards by President Ram Nath Kovind on Tuesday.
- Former India captain Sardar Singh became only the second hockey player to receive the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award after Dhanraj Pillay.
- Indian women’s cricketer Harmanpreet Kaur was among the 17 sportspersons who received the Arjuna award.
LIST of AWARDEES:
RAJIV GANDHI KHEL RATNA AWARDEES
1. Devendra Jhajaria (para-athlete)
2. Sardar Singh (hockey)
1. Jyothi Surekha Vennam (archery)
2. Khushbir Kaur (athletics)
3. Rajiv Arokia (athletics)
4. Prashanthi Singh (basketball)
5. Laishram Devendro Singh (boxing)
6. Cheteshwar Pujara (cricket)
7. Harmanpreet Kaur (cricket)
8. Oinam Bembem Devi (football)
9. SSP Chawrasia (golf)
10. SV Sunil (hockey)
11. Jasvir Singh (kabaddi)
12. Prakash Nanjappa (shooting)
13. Anthony Amalraj (table tennis)
14. Saketh Myneni (tennis)
15. Satyawart Kadian (wrestling)
16. Mariyappan (para-athlete)
17. Varun Singh Bhati (para-athlete)
1. Late Dr. R Gandhi (athletics)
2. Heera Nand Kataria (kabaddi)
3. GSSV Prasad (badminton)
4. Brij Bhushan Mohanty (boxing – Lifetime)
5. PA Raphel (hockey – Lifetime)
6. Sanjoy Chakraverthy (shooting – Lifetime)
7. Roshan Lal (wrestling – Lifetime)
DHYAN CHAND AWARDEES
1. Bhupender Singh (Athletics)
2. Syed Shahid Hakim (Football)
3. Sumarai Tete (Hockey)