1. The union govt. launches portal e-Rashtriya Kisan Agri Mandi:
- The union government has launched a portal ‘e-Rashtriya Kisan Agri Mandi’ (e-RaKAM) to provide a platform to sell agricultural produce.
- Union ministers Ram Vilas Paswan (Food and Consumer Affairs Minister) and Chaudhary Birender Singh (Steel) jointly launched the portal in New Delhi.
- e-RaKAM is a digital initiative that aims to bring together the farmers, PSUs, civil supplies and buyers on a single platform to ease the selling and buying process of agricultural products. It has been developed by state-run-auctioneer MSTC Limited and CRWC (Central Railside Warehouse Company) Limited.
- e-RaKAM centres are being developed in a phased manner throughout the country to facilitate farmers for the online sale of their produce. The farmers will be paid through e-Payment directly into their bank accounts.
2. Monetary Policy: RBI cuts policy rate by 25 basis points to 6%:
- Monetary Policy Committee (MPC), headed by Urjit Patel, decided to reduce the Policy Repo Rate under the liquidity adjustment facility (LAF) by 25 basis points from 6.25 per cent to 6.0 per cent with immediate effect.
- Consequently, the reverse repo rate under the LAF stands adjusted to 5.75 per cent.
3. Jharkhand Cabinet approves Religious Freedom Bill 2017:
- Jharkhand state Cabinet has approved Religious Freedom Bill 2017 in which forceful or allurement induced religious conversion will be a non-bailable criminal offense.
- In the event of violation of section three, there will be up to three years imprisonment or Rs. 50,000 penalties or both.
- If the crime involved a minor, woman or person from SC or ST community than the prison term would be up to four years and a penalty of one lakh rupees.
4. UP govt decides to go Digital by transforming all state-run offices into e-offices:
- The Uttar Pradesh cabinet chaired by the Chief Minister ‘Yogi Adityanath’ has decided to go Digital by transforming all state-run offices into e-offices.
- ‘e-office’ would commence from the state secretariat from 1st October and by January next year, all the state government offices would be equipped with the system.
- The Cabinet has also decided to spend around 57 crore rupees for the purchase of computers and training of the employees for the purpose.
5. World breastfeeding week – August 1-7, 2017:
- World breastfeeding week 2017 is being celebrated from 1st to 7th August 2017 with the theme “Sustaining Breastfeeding Together”.
- It was first celebrated in 1992 by World Alliance for Breastfeeding World Breastfeeding WeekAction (WABA) and is now observed in over 120 countries by United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), World Health Organization (WHO) and their partners including individuals, organizations, and governments.
6. China opens its first overseas Military base in Djibouti:
- China formally opened its first overseas military base with a flag raising ceremony in Djibouti in the Horn of Africa, the same day as the People’s Liberation Army marks its 90th birthday.
- Djibouti’s position on the northwestern edge of the Indian Ocean has fueled worry in India that it would become another of China’s “string of pearls” military alliances and assets ringing India, including Bangladesh, Myanmar, and Sri Lanka.
7. WCD Ministry launched a contest for designing logo for ‘Women of India Festival’:
- The Women and Child Development Ministry has launched a contest for designing a logo for the ‘Women of India Festival’ to be held at ‘Dilli Haat’ in October 2017.
- The event is organized and fully sponsored by the Ministry as part of their major initiative of economic empowerment of women.
- The Women of India Festival offers the biggest selection of organic products prepared or grown by women.
8. PM Modi announces Rs2,350-crore flood relief for North-East:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced a package of Rs2,350 crore for all North-East states for mitigating the impact of floods on short- and long-term basis.
- In addition to that, the Prime Minister has announced a Rs100 crore corpus for setting up a research project to study the Brahmaputra and its role in creating a devastating flood.
9. Govt constitutes Committee of experts to identify key data protection issues:
- The union Govt. has constituted a Committee of experts under the chairmanship of a former Judge of Supreme Court Justice ‘B N Srikrishna’ to study and identify key data protection issues and recommend methods for addressing them.
- The committee will also suggest a draft Data Protection Bill. Protection of Data is expected to provide a big boost to Digital economy of the country.
10. Airtel Payment Bank ties up with HPCL for ATM services:
- Airtel Payments Bank has announced a strategic partnership with Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL) to give the further boost to digital payments in the country and to add to customer convenience.
- Now, HPCL fuel stations (14,000) will act as banking points for Airtel Payments Bank.
All Airtel Payments Bank customers would be able to access a range of convenient banking services at these fuel stations like opening new accounts, make cash deposits and withdrawals facility, and transfer money.
11. SBI debit cards now on Samsung Pay app:
- Smartphone-maker Samsung, which recently launched its digital wallet app Samsung Pay in India, has tied up with State Bank of India to store higher variants of SBI debit cards on the app.
- This collaboration turns the Samsung smartphones into electronic card-holders and users can pay at point-of-sale (PoS) terminals with just a tap on the cards stored in Samsung Pay.
- Samsung Pay works on 2.5 million PoS card machines across the country through its magnetic secure transmission (MST) technology.
12. Veer Dev Gulia wins Bronze in Junior World Wrestling:
- Veer Dev Gulia bagged a bronze medal on the opening day of the competition at Tampere in Finland.
- In the Men’s 74 kg freestyle category, Gulia finished third after beating Yamasaki Yajuro of Japan, 8-5 in the bronze medal playoff bout.
- Gulia had made it to the playoff despite losing in the quarterfinals as his last-eight stage opponent Isa Shapiev of Uzbekistan reached the gold medal round.