Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 30th August 2017
1. UP CM Yogi Adityanath inaugurates Startup Yatra program in Lucknow:
- Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has inaugurated the Startup Yatra programme in Lucknow.
- Now, UP govt. will provide financial assistance of 15 thousand rupees per month and maximum 10 lakh rupees in a year to those who will begin startups.
- The state govt. will sign a MoU with SIDBI regarding this within a fortnight.
The state government will implement one district one product policy to create more employment opportunities.
- Under this policy, the government will appoint one person in each district of the state who with the use of technology will develop a brand product and connect it with the concerned district.
2. Delhi Police launches YUVA – a skill development programme:
- The Delhi Police has launched YUVA – a skill development programme under Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY). It was inaugurated by Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh.
- This initiative will connect with youth by upgrading their skill as per their competencies.
Now, the Delhi Police has tied up with National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) for providing mass job linked skill training for selected youth.
- For implementing YUVA initiative, Delhi Police has tied up with National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) to provide mass job linked skill training for selected youth.
3. IAEA opens world’s first low Enriched Uranium bank in Kazakhstan:
- The UN global nuclear watchdog, International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has opened world’s first low Enriched Uranium (LEU) Bank in Oskemen in Kazakhstan.
- The bank is owned and managed by IAEA. It will be the first of its kind LEU bank not to be under control of any individual country.
- The IAEA also manages 123 tons of uranium in Angarsk, Russia but it is under the control of Russian government.
4. India gives 20 Sri Lankan students scholarships to study Hindi:
- A group of 20 ‘Sri Lankan’ students have been sponsored by Government of India (GoI) to study Hindi at the Central Institute of Hindi in Agra.
- The government of India has sponsored their visit, academic fees, and local hospitality for one year in Agra.
- Hindi is the most popular foreign language in Sri Lanka and is being taught in almost 80 institutions all over the island.
5. Cabinet approves MoU on India-Israel Industrial and Technological Innovation Fund:
- The Union Cabinet approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to set up US $40 million India-Israel Industrial and Technological Innovation Fund (I4F). The MoU was signed in July, 2017 during Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Israel.
- India and Israel will make contribution of US $4 million (Rs.25 crore) each for Fund, both equivalent amount, annually for 5 years. The fund will be governed by joint Board which will consist of 4 members from each country.
6. Fourth Session of the India-Tanzania Joint Trade Committee:
- The Fourth Session of the India-Tanzania Joint Trade Committee (JTC) meeting was held in New Delhi. The Indian delegation was led by Minister for State for Commerce and Industry Ms. Nirmala Sitharaman and Tanzanian delegation was led by the Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment Mr. Charles John Mwijage.
- With an investment of US $ 2.2 billion, Tanzania is among the top 5 investment destinations for India.
7. Cabinet approves MoU between India-Brazil for cooperation in Zebu Cattle Genomics and ARTs:
- The Union Cabinet has apprised Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) signed between India and Brazil in October 2016 for cooperation in fields of Zebu Cattle Genomics and Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ARTs).
- The MoU aims to strengthen existing friendly relations between both countries and promote development of Genomics and ARTs in Cattle through joint activities to be implemented through mutually agreed procedures.
8. UP Govt decides to end interview in government jobs:
- The Uttar Pradesh Govt. cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has decided to end the process of holding interview for selection of candidates for the government jobs in all the non-gazetted posts of Group B, C, and D categories.
- The decision has been taken keeping in mind the system followed by the Government of India.
- The state government has decided to do away with the interview in the recruitment of non-gazetted officers from Class II to IV.
- However, for recruitment of gazetted officers in Class II category, Interview will be must.
9. BRICS Innovative Competitiveness Report 2017:
- According to the BRICS Innovative Competitiveness Report 2017 report, India’s innovation growth rate would see a significant rise and could surpass that of China in the next decade.
- China ranks first in terms of national comprehensive innovation competitiveness in 2016, followed by Russia, South Africa, Brazil, and India.
- It is predicted that the innovation competitiveness of India would see a significant rise with its growth rate probably surpassing China between 2025-2030.
- BRICS is the acronym for an association of five major emerging national economies: Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
- 2017 BRICS summit will be held on 3-5 September in Xiamen city of China.
10. First Synergy Conference on Defence Pension:
- The Defence Accounts Department (DAD) organized its first Synergy Conference on Defence Pensions in New Delhi.
- The objective of the conference was to obtain feedback from the pensioners that would help the department to serve them better with constantly improving systems and procedures.
- The panel formed to interact with the pensioners was headed by Addl. CGDA Shri Upendra Sah.
11. Annual five-day Hajj pilgrimage begins today in Saudi Arabia:
- Today, the annual five-day Hajj pilgrimage commences, as millions of Muslims from across the world will begin their journey from the holy city of Mecca to assemble in tent-city of Mina in Saudi Arabia.
- Around one lakh 70 thousand pilgrims from India are performing Hajj this year.
The Hajj is the largest annual gathering of people in the world.
12. GST collection for the first month at Rs 92,283 crore: FM Arun Jaitley
- According to the Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on the first set of data on tax collections, taxes worth Rs 92,283 crore were collected in July from just 64.42% of the total taxpayer base.
- The finance minister said even after the compensation cess is excluded, the target will still be surpassed when all taxpayers file returns.
- Tax collections for July (first month) when a unified Goods and Services Tax (GST) was implemented across the country are likely to further go up when all the tax payers file returns.
- The last date for payment of tax for the month of July was 25th August and for those seeking transitional credit for taxes paid in the pre-GST era, the deadline was 28th August.
13. Canara HSBC Oriental Life Launched ‘PoS’ product:
- Canara HSBC Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance Company (CHOICE) has come up with a ‘Point-of-Sale’ product targeted at the mass-market segment.
- The product- ‘PoS – Easy Bima Plan’ is the first PoS product for the company and is a pure term insurance plan.
- While this product has initially been launched through a regional rural bank of Canara Bank, it would be available in the bank branches of Canara Bank and Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC) in the next two months.
14. Freyr Energy Ties up With Axis Bank:
- Solar energy services company Freyr Energy has tied up with Axis Bank to offer term loans ranging from Rs 5 lakh to Rs 50 lakh for tenures up to five years, for solar rooftop installations in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- The loans will be given to MSMEs and self-employed individuals to install Freyr rooftop solar plants for industrial and commercial purposes. Over the past three years, Freyr has installed over 800 solar systems across 14 States in India and Ghana.
15. BSE Board Approved Another 5-year Term for Ashish Chauhan as CEO:
- Top stock exchange BSE’s board has approved another five-year term for its chief Ashish Chauhan. Chauhan has joined BSE as deputy chief executive officer (CEO) in 2009.
- He was made MD and CEO for a period of five years with effect from November 2, 2012. Mr. Chauhan will be BSE’s Managing Director and CEO until November 1, 2022.
16. Indian Hotels Company Appoints Puneet Chhatwal as MD and CEO:
- Tata group hospitality firm Indian Hotels Company Ltd (IHCL) has appointed Duetsche Hospitality chief executive Puneet Chhatwal as its Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
- He will take over from incumbent Rakesh Sarna, who is stepping down on 30 September. Before he joined IHCL, Sarna was the group president – Americas of Hyatt Hotels Corporation.
17. Sri Lankan head for cricket team selection resigns:
- Sri Lankan head for cricket team selection ‘Sanath Jayasurya’ has resigned from his post along with other members following defeat against India in both test and ODI series.
- The team had to face a whitewash in test series against India and face the same prospect in ODIs with India leading by 3-0.