Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 30th September 2017
1. President Appoints Governors for 5 States:
- President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Governors in five states and Lieutenant Governor in one Union Territories.
- Former Union Minister Satya Pal Malik has appointed as the new Governor of Bihar while Assam Governor Banwarilal Purohit will now be the new Governor of Tamil Nadu.
- Lt Governor of Andaman and Nicobar, Prof Jagdish Mukhi will replace Mr Purohit as the Governor of Assam.
- Admiral (Retd) Devendra Kumar Joshi will be the Lieutenant Governor of Andaman and Nicobar in place of Prof. Mukhi.
- Brigadier (Retd) BD Mishra has been appointed as the Governor of Arunachal Pradesh and former member of Bihar Legislative Council Ganga Prasad Governor of Meghalaya.
2. 3rd India International Science Festival to be held in Chennai:
- The third India International Science Festival (IISF-2017) will be held in Chennai, Tamil Nadu from October 13-16, 2017. It will be organised by Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES), Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST) and Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA).
- The objective of IISF 2017 is to instil scientific temper among masses and showcase India’s contribution in field of science and technology over years.
3. Defence Min Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurates ‘Pratham-Shyok’ bridge in Leh:
- Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated the Pratham-Shyok bridge that will link Leh to Karakoram.
- The bridhe will provide connectivity on the strategically important Darbuk-Shyok-Daulat Beg Olde axis for military transport.
4. Aeris Communications partners BSNL for IOT solutions:
- Aeris Communications has entered into a partnership with Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) to provide packaged Internet of Things (IoT) solutions and services to small, medium businesses and public sector undertakings (PSUs) in India.
- The company will leverage BSNL’s wide network coverage, to provide a comprehensive, end-to-end IoT services platform for enterprises, original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and service providers.
5. Veteran actor Tom Alter dies at 67:
- Veteran film, television and theatre actor and Padma Shri Tom Alter has died at aged 67.
- The renowned actor and one-time sports writer and author had been battling stage four skin cancer.
6. US fines HSBC $175 mn for Lax Forex Oversight:
- The US central bank has fined global banking giant HSBC $175 million for failing to oversee foreign exchange traders who misused confidential client information and colluded with traders at competing banks.
- Between 2008 and 2013, the bank failed to detect misconduct by senior traders, including its global head of foreign exchange cash trading, according to the Federal Reserve.
7. Government Keeps Interest Rates Unchanged on Small Savings Schemes:
- Ahead of monetary policy review, the government has kept unchanged the interest rates on small savings schemes like PPF, Kisan Vikas Patra and Sukanya Samriddhi for October-December quarter.
- Investments in the Public Provident Fund (PPF) scheme will fetch annual rate of 7.8 percent while Kisan Vikas Patra (KVP) investments will yield 7.5 percent and mature in 115 months.
- The one for girl child savings, Sukanya Samriddhi Account Scheme will offer 8.3 percent annually.
- Similarly, the investment on 5-year Senior Citizens Savings Scheme will yield 8.3 percent. The interest rate on the senior citizens scheme is paid quarterly.