GK Update & Current Affairs: 30th September 2018
1. Centre sets up Competition Law Review Committee
- The Government has constituted a Competition Law Review Committee to review the Competition Act to ensure that the legislation is in sync with the changing business environment.
- The committee will review the competition regulations in view of changing business environment and bring necessary changes, if required. It will also look into international best practices in competition field, especially anti-trust laws, merger guidelines and handling cross border competition issues.
- The 10-member panel chaired by Injeti Srinivas, secretary, corporate affairs ministry, will pay special attention to merger guidelines and cross-border competition issues, according to a statement from the corporate affairs ministry.
2. EESL signs MoU with Municipality of Tashkent
- Energy Efficiency Services Ltd has signed a memorandum of understanding with the Municipality of Tashkent City to implement energy-saving projects.
- Under the agreement, EESL will help establish and implement energy efficiency projects in Uzbekistan, starting with the City of Tashkent.
- EESL is a joint venture of PSUs under the Power Ministry. EESL and Municipality of Tashkent City will collaborate to explore opportunities in the areas of street lights, e-vehicles, smart meters, energy efficient buildings, and other developing technologies.
3. RBI Bars Bandhan Bank From Opening New Branches
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) barred Bandhan Bank from opening new branches and also ordered freezing of the bank’s CEO salary over failure to stick to shareholding rules.
- The Bank was not able to bring down the shareholding of Non-Operative Financial Holding Company (NOFHC) to 40% as required under the licensing condition, general permission to open new branches stands withdrawn.
4. Legendary Chicago Blues Guitarist Otis Rush Dies At 84
- Legendary Chicago blues guitarist Otis Rush, whose passionate, a jazz-influenced sound influenced generations of musicians, has died. He was 84.
- Otis Rush won a Grammy for Best Traditional Blues Recording in 1999 for “Any Place I’m Going.” Rush was inducted into the Blues Foundation Hall of Fame in 1984.
5. Yuvraj Wadhwani Lifts Asian Junior Squash Title
- Yuvraj Wadhwani has won the 25th Asian junior individual squash championship title. He defeated Anas Ali Shah of Pakistan in the final in Chennai. Yuvraj has become the second Indian to win the Under-13 title after Veer Chotrani, who had won the title in 2014 in Iran.
- In the Under15 section, Arnav Sareen settled for the runner-up spot. The Pune boy lost to Mohammad Hamza Khan of Pakistan in the final.
6. Prez inaugurates Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention
- President Ram Nath Kovind inaugurated the Mahatma Gandhi International Sanitation Convention organised by the Drinking Water and Sanitation Ministry to mark the beginning of the 150th birth anniversary celebrations of Mahatma Gandhi.
- India is striving to eliminate open defecation in its entirety by October 2, 2019.
7. N. Ravi, former Editor-in-Chief of The Hindu, elected PTI chairman
- N. Ravi, Publisher and former Editor-in-Chief of The Hindu, was on Saturday unanimously elected Chairman of the Press Trust of India (PTI).
- Vijay Kumar Chopra, Chief Editor of the Punjab Kesari Group of newspapers, was elected Vice-Chairman.