Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 3rd October 2017
1. Global Wildlife Programme Conference held in New Delhi:
- The Global Wildlife Programme (GWP) Conference was recently held in New Delhi. It was jointly hosted by Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC), World Bank and United Nations Development Programme.
- Theme of the Conference was “Peoples’ participation in wildlife conservation”.
- The GWP is World-Bank led global partnership of 19 countries in Asia and Africa to promote the conservation and sustainable development by combating trafficking in wildlife. It was initiated in 2015 by the Global Environment Facility (GEF).
2. Madurai’s Meenakshi Temple Named Best ‘Swachh Iconic Place’ in India:
- The Meenakshi Sundareswarar Temple has been adjudged best ‘Swachh Iconic Place’ in India.
- A total of 63 compact bins have been placed and four compactor trucks do the rounds around the temple premises. There are 25 e-toilets and 15 water ATMs for tourists to use. There are two road sweepers and battery operated vehicles specifically purchased to clean this stretch.
3. All cities and towns in five more States declared Open Defecation Free:
- The Union government declared 5 more states- Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Haryana , Jharkhand and Chattisgarh as “Open Defecation Free” on 2 October 2017, the same day when Swacch Bharat Mission completed three years.
- This was declared by the Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs on the occasion of the third anniversary of the mission.
4. GIFT City’s IFSC Bags 10th Place in Global Financial Centres Index:
- Gujarat International Finance Tec-City (GIFT City)’s International Financial Services Centre (IFSC) has bagged the 10th spot in the latest edition of Global Financial Centres Index (GFCI), London.
- GIFT IFSC is ranked tenth, ahead of Luxembourg, Seoul, Abu Dhabi, Toronto and Beijing in the list of the GFCI report, which has 15 centres that are likely to become more significant in the next few years. Including GIFT City’s IFSC, six of the top ten emerging centres are in Asia.
- GIFT IFSC is operational with approximately 10 leading banks, 8 insurance companies and participating brokers, and 2 International Exchanges (India INX and NSE IFSC) along with around 100 capital market players have established their base at GIFT IFSC.
5. 2017 Nobel Physics Prize Awarded to Gravitational Wave Detectors:
- The 2017 Nobel Physics Prize has been awarded for “decisive contributions to the LIGO detector and the observation of gravitational waves” to Rainer Weiss, Barry C. Barish and Kip S. Thorne of the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory.
- The Prize announced by Sweden’s Royal Academy of Sciences comes with 9 million kronor ($1.1 million). For the past 25 years, the prize has been shared among multiple winners.
- The 2016 prize went to three British-born researchers who applied the mathematical discipline of topology to help understand the workings of exotic matter such as superconductors and superfluids.
- The 2017 Nobel medicine prize went to three Americans studying circadian rhythms better known as body clocks- Jeffrey C. Hall, Michael Rosbash and Michael W. Young.
6. President Appoints Commission to Examine Sub-Categorisation of OBCs:
- President Ram Nath Kovind has appointed a five-member Committee to examine the extent of inequitable distribution of benefits of reservation among the castes or communities included in the broad category of OBCs with reference to such classes included in the central list.
- The Committee will be headed by Delhi High Court’s former Chief Justice G Rohini to examine sub-categorization of Other Backward Classes (OBCs) under Article 340 of the Constitution.
7. Ministry of Health Adjudged Best for ‘Swachhta Pakhwada’:
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has been adjudged as the best department for its contribution during Swachhta Pakhwada, an inter-Ministry initiative of Swachh Bharat Mission of Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
- The Health Ministry observed the Swachhta Pakhwada in February 2017. The award was presented to the Ministry on 2nd October, the third anniversary of Swachh Bharat Mission. Shri C K Mishra, Secretary (HFW) received the award on behalf of the Ministry.
8. Mukhya Mantri Kaushal Samvardhan and Kaushalya Yojana flagged off in MP:
- Madhya Pradesh Government has implemented the Chief Minister’s Skill Promotion and Skills Scheme to provide jobs by providing employment oriented training to the youth.
- All the youth who are in the age group of 18-35 are being benefitted through Mukhya Mantri Kaushal Samvardhan Yojana and Mukhya Mantri Kaushalya Yojana.
- The Madhya Pradesh government has permitted Rs 30 crores for constant execution of the scheme from year 2017-18 to 2019-20.
9. Chandrababu Naidu Launches ‘Swachh Andhra Mission’:
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu launched Swachh Andhra Mission on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti.
- Ace shuttler PV Sindhu has been chosen as the brand ambassador of Swachh Andhra.
10. India, Nepal to Conduct First Joint Tiger Count:
- For the first time, Nepal and India will undertake a joint tiger census in their national parks, forests and protected areas adjoining the two countries using a globally-recognised method. The counting of tigers will begin from the second week of November.
- Tiger is an endangered animal listed in the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES).
11. Yatra Partners OYO to Expand Hotel Inventory:
- Yatra Online Inc has tied up with OYO to bring the hospitality firm’s inventory on its platform.
- The partnership brings OYO’s inventory onto an online travel agent platform and with this Yatra’s total hotel inventory will expand to over 70,000 hotels in India.
12. Baishya elected as chairmen of two sub-committees of IWF:
- Indian Weightlifting Federation President, Birendra Prasad Baishya has been elected as the chairman of two sub-committees of the International Weightlifting Federation (IWF).
- Baishya was elected as the chairman of International Weightlifting Federation’s Ethics Commission as well as of Anti-Disciplinary Commission at the world body’s Executive Committee Meeting, which was held at Bucharest, Romania.
13. Jagan Wins Sixth Title in a Row at National Motorcycle Racing:
- TVS Racing’s mascot Jagan Kumar notched his sixth straight title in the premier Super Sport Indian class on a rain-affected day to bring down the curtain on the MRF MMSC FMSCI Indian National Motorcycle Racing Championship in Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- The event was organised by Madras Motorsports Club. It was sponsored by MRF Tyres.
- Jagan Kumar is the first Indian to win Asia Road Racing.
14. Brenda Hale, First Female President of UK’s Supreme Court:
- Brenda Hale, the first female president of the supreme court, and Sir Ian Burnett, the youngest lord chief justice for 50 years, have been sworn in at the opening of the legal year.
- Hale, 72, was born in Yorkshire. She succeeds David Neuberger.