Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 4th September 2017
1. 9th BRICS Summit Kicks off in Xiamen, China:
- The 9th BRICS Summit has started in Xiamen, China with a group photograph of leaders of the five countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa) and was preceded by a warm handshake between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- Modi was the third leader to reach the convention center, venue of the 9th BRICS Summit in this port city of China and was followed by Russian president Vladimir Putin.
The theme of the 9th BRICS Summit is “Stronger Partnership for a better future”. The 8th BRICS Summit held on 16th October 2016 at Goa, India.
2. China Announced $80 Million Funding Plan for BRICS:
- China will give 500 million yuan ($76.4 million) for a BRICS economic and technology cooperation plan, and another $4 million for projects at the BRICS countries’ New Development Bank stated Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- The announcement came amid questions over the relevance of BRICS and China’s commitment to its New Development Bank (NDB) in light of the Belt and Road initiative and the China-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank.
3. Link-4 of SAUNI Scheme: President Ram Nath Kovind lays foundation stone
- President Ramnath Kovind laid foundation stone for link-4 of Saurashtra Narmada Avataran Irrigation Scheme (SAUNI) Yojana in Rajkot district, Gujarat.
- SAUNI Yojana is multipurpose project that aims to solve water problems of parched Saurashtra region of Gujarat. Three phase of SAUNI yojana already have been dedicated to people following completion of work.
- SAUNI project was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his tenure as Chief Minister of Gujarat.
- It aims to fill up 115 major dams in Saurashtra by diverting overflow of water from Sardar Sarovar Dam on Narmada River. It is an out-and-out irrigation and drinking water project designed solely for Saurashtra peninsula.
4. Karnataka Gvmt Launches Unified Health Scheme ‘Arogya Bhagya’:
- Karnataka government will merge the existing seven health schemes to launch a unified health scheme- ‘Arogya Bhagya’. It will cover all 1.4 crore households of the state.
- The main theme of the ‘Arogya Bhagya’ scheme is ”Treatment First and Payment Next”. According to the Law Ministry, the State Cabinet had given administrative sanction for the unified schemes and it will come to effect from 1st November.
5. Nepal Signs UN Development Assistance Plan:
- Nepal has signed a USD 635 million UN assistance package for 2018-2022 to lay out the country’s development strategy for the next five years. The package involves 26 individual UN agencies.
- The National Planning Commission, apex advisory body of the Government of Nepal, and the United Nations Country Team (UNCT) in Nepal signed the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF).
6. Hyderabad Airport Bags Energy Efficiency Award:
- Hyderabad International Airport Ltd has bagged the National Award for ‘Excellence’ in Energy Management at a conference hosted by the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
- The event held here focused on recognizing companies that are engaged in energy efficiency initiatives and displaying commitment towards energy conservation.
7. Karnataka Bank Bags IDRBT Award:
- Karnataka Bank has bagged the ‘best bank’ award among small banks for the use of technology for financial inclusion at the 13th IDRBT Banking Technology Excellence Awards 2016-17.
- Mahabaleshwara MS, MD & CEO of the bank, received the award from Sudarshan Sen, Executive Director of RBI, in Hyderabad.
8. Fincare Small Finance Bank Starts Banking Operations:
- Fincare Small Finance Bank (previously known as Disha Microfin Limited) kick-started its banking operations with about 25 operational branches across Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.
- The bank was given final small finance bank (SFB) license from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in May 2017.
9. Star India wins IPL media rights for 5 years for Rs 16,347.50 crore:
- Star India edged out Sony Pictures to secure the Indian Premier League’s media rights with a bid of Rs 16,347.50 crore. The bidding for various media rights of the cash-rich league was held in Mumbai for a five-year period from 2018-2022.
- The winning bid will allow Star India to air content on their properties for a period of five years (2018-2022).
- The second highest bid was made by Sony, who bid Rs. 11,050 crores, for the rights. However, Sony’s bid was for the Indian region only as compared to Star’s bid which is global.
10. India, 1st Visiting Country to Inflict 5-0 Whitewash on Sri Lanka:
- India has whitewashed host Sri Lanka 5-nil in One Day International cricket series. By winning all the 5 games, India became the first visiting country to inflict a 5-0 defeat on Sri Lanka.
- India had, earlier, also whitewashed the 3-match Test series. Indian Captain Virat Kohli made 30th ODI hundred in his only 194th game and is now jointly second highest in list of century makers alongside Ricky Ponting with only Sachin Tendulkar (49 hundreds) ahead of him.
- Jasprit Bumrah was named as the Player of ODI Series.