1. Venkaiah Naidu Is New Vice President of India:
- Venkaiah Naidu is going to succeed Hamid Ansari as the new Vice-President of India. Naidu’s victory was a foregone conclusion, the NDA candidate having the support of a majority of MPs who ally with the BJP.
- The Election Commission said that 771 votes were polled, of which 760 were valid and 11 were valid. Venkaiah Naidu secured 516 and Gopalkrishna Gandhi 241 votes. This means, that Venkaiha Naidu will become the 13th Vice President of India.
2. Akshay Kumar appointed brand ambassador for Swachh Bharat Mission in UP:
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister ‘Yogi Adityanath’ has announced Bollywood superstar ‘Akshay Kumar’ as the brand ambassador of the Swachh Bharat Mission in the state.
The chief minister also announced to make his upcoming movie ‘Toilet Ek Prem Katha’ tax-free in the state.
- The movie stresses the importance of building toilets and ending open defecation in the country.
- Swachh Bharat Abhiyan is a campaign by the Government of India to clean the streets, roads, and infrastructure of the country’s 4,041 statutory cities and towns.
3. Maharashtra Govt. launches online portals MahaDBT, MahaVASTU:
- Maharashtra Govt. has launched two online portals ‘MahaDBT & MahaVASTU’ to streamline the process of Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT).
- The portals were launched with an aim to bring in more transparency in the construction sector and to provide direct benefits with ‘Aadhaar’ authentication.
- MahaDBT portal is an Aadhaar-authenticated electronic mechanism that will enable direct transfer of benefits for over 40 schemes and DBT scheme, Aadhaar will be mandatory to claim benefits through this portal.
- MahaVASTU portal is an Online Building Permission Management System with an electronic workflow for sanctioning building approvals with full transparency.
4. Government to Develop Green Airports in Andhra Pradesh:
- As a part of Government of India’s initiative to develop green airports, two airports in Andhra Pradesh- Tirupati and Vijayawada are going to go completely green.
- AAI has commenced installation of 1MWp solar power plant at Tirupathi and Vijaywada Airports.
- It has also completed installation of solar power plants at 29 airports/locations with a total capacity of 12.84 MWp.
5. Assam govt all set to distribute 13 lakh Soil Health Cards among farmers:
- Assam government is all set to distribute 13 lakh Soil Health Cards among farmers.
- According to the state Agriculture minister Atul Bora, 1 lakh 41 thousand cards have been distributed from April 2016 to June this year. 214 soil test kits are operational for this purpose.
6. Delhi Police ties up with Uber for women safety:
- Uber has collaborated with Delhi Police’s women safety app ‘Himmat’ for ensuring better safety to women across the city.
- Passengers can now access the Delhi Police’s women safety mobile application ‘Himmat’ via cab aggregator Uber’s application while traveling in taxis.
- In addition to the emergency button in the Uber app, riders will now have one more touch point to access the police helpline in case of an emergency.
Currently, ‘Himmat application’ has over 31,000 registered users.
7. Veteran actor Sharada has been selected for the prestigious Prem Nazir award:
- A three-time National Award Winner Veteran actress ‘Sharada’ has been selected for this year’s Prem Nazir Award. The award, carrying a purse of Rs 75,000, a statuette and a citation.
- The award will be presented to Sharada at a function at Chirayankeezhu (Kerala) on 15th August.
- Sharada won the Best Actress award for her performance in 1968 for Thulabharam (Malayalam), in 1972 for Swayamvaram (Malayalam) and five years later for Nimajjanam (Telugu).
- ‘Prem Nazir’ Award was instituted in memory of Kerala’s evergreen actor Prem Nazir by people of Chirayankeezhu (Kerala).
8. JK Rowling: World’s Highest Paid Author by Forbes:
- Harry Potter creator JK Rowling has been named the world’s most highly-paid author with earnings of £72.2m ($95m).
- It is the first time that Rowling has topped Forbes’ list of the 10 highest earners in the global industry for the first time in almost 10 years. Other authors included in the list were Paula Hawkins and EL James.
9. Prabhat Kumar as The Next Ambassador of India to The Republic of Kazakhstan:
- Shri Prabhat Kumar, (IFS 1991), presently Ambassador of India to Colombia has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Prabhat Kumar was Director General, in-charge of the Energy Security and Investment and Technology Promotion Division in the Ministry of External Affairs Kumar was earlier posted to the Permanent Mission of India to the conference of disarmament in Geneva.
- He also served in the Indian Embassies of Nepal, Croatia and Spain.
10. India signs USD 329 million loan pact with AIIB for Gujarat road project:
- India has signed a loan agreement with Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) for the financing of 329 million US dollar for Gujarat Rural Roads Project.
- The agreement was signed by Sameer Kumar Khare (Joint Secretary in the Ministry of Finance) and Vice President & Chief Investment Officer, AIIB, D J Pandian.
- The objective of the project is to improve the rural road connectivity and accessibility to more than one thousand villages in all the 33 districts of the state benefiting about 80 lakh people.
- The project will also benefit the service providers such as public transport operators, educational institutions, hospitals, local markets, and traders.
11. Mughalsarai to be Renamed as Deen Dayal Upadhyay Railway Station:
- The Centre recently approved the Adityanath-led UP government’s proposal to rename the Mughalsarai railway station after the Jan Sangh leader as Deen Dayal Upadhyaya (DDU) station.
- This comes as the part of the state government’s attempt to revive the legacy of Upadhyaya who died in 1968. The UP government in its proposal pointed to the mysterious death of Upadhyaya at the Mughalsarai station as one of the primary reasons to rename the station.
12. Air Marshal Hemant Narayan Bhagwat Appointed as Air Officer-in-Charge Administration of IAF:
- Air Marshal Hemant Narayan Bhagwat took over as Air Officer-in-Charge Administration (AOA) of Indian Air Force at Air Headquarters in New Delhi.
- Air Marshal Bhagwat, the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (AVSM) and Vayu Sena Medal (VM) awardee, was commissioned in Administrative branch of the Indian Air Force in June 1981.
- After serving for seven years as an Air Traffic control Officer in three different operational bases of the IAF, he qualified as Parachute Jump Instructor and served in the instructional capacity for fifteen years.