Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 5th October 2017
1. World Teachers’ Day being observed today:
- The World Teachers’ Day (WTD) 2017 is being observed across the world on 5th October (since 1994).
- The theme of 2017 World Teachers’ Day is “Teaching in Freedom, Empowering Teachers”.
- According to UNESCO, World Teachers’ Day represents a significant token of the awareness, understanding, and appreciation displayed for the vital contributions that teachers make to education and development.
2. Kazuo Ishiguro Wins 2017 Nobel Literature Prize:
- Kazuo Ishiguro, “who, in novels of great emotional force, has uncovered the abyss beneath our illusory sense of connection with the world”, has been awarded the 2017 Nobel Prize in Literature, the Swedish Academy announced.
- Sixty-four-year-old Mr. Ishiguro was born in Japan and his family moved to the United Kingdom when he was five. His most renowned novel, The Remains of the Day (1989), was turned into film with Anthony Hopkins as the butler Stevens.
3. India to be Guest Country at the World Government Summit:
- The World Government Summit announced that India is a guest country in its upcoming gathering. The Annual Gathering is scheduled from February 11 to 13, 2018 in UAE.
- Honorary guests from India will join the notable list of speakers synonymous with the World Government Summit to showcase the country’s emerging economic growth, highlight valuable knowledge, skills, and capabilities and elaborate on the country’s unique culture.
4. Govt. sets up High-Level Committee for Water Management:
- The union govt. has set up a high-level committee for proper management of water resources in the North-Eastern region. The Committee will be headed by NITI Aayog Vice Chairman Rajiv Kumar.
- It will facilitate optimising benefits of appropriate water management in the form of hydro-electric power, agriculture, biodiversity conservation, reduced flood damage erosion, inland water transport, forestry, fishery, and eco-tourism.
- The committee is also tasked with spelling out actionable steps for optimizing water resources in the region and chalking out an action plan for the dovetailing of Central schemes.
5. Forbes India Rich List 2017: Mukesh Ambani Richest With $38 Billion:
- Forbes Magazine has released its India Rich List for 2017, with Reliance Industries Limited chairman Mukesh Ambani topping the charts for the 10th consecutive year with a net worth of $38 billion.
- Mr Ambani is followed by tech czar Azim Premji who jumped two places with the net worth of $19 billion. Ranked third are the Hinduja brothers who added $3.2 billion to their net worth.
- According to Forbes, the combined net worth of the 100 richest Indians stood at $479 billion, a jump of 26% from $374 billion in 2016. Acharya Balkrishna, CEO of Patanjali Ayurved, figures at No. 19 with net worth of $6.55 billion.
6. PM Modi third most followed world leader on Twitter:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is the third most followed world leader on Twitter with over 34 million followers, according to the latest report by Twiplomacy.
- While Modi’s place remained unchanged from the previous report released in June, Pope Francis slipped to the second rank as US President Donald Trump overtook him by over 200,000 followers to reach the top spot.
7. India’s renewable energy capacity to double by 2022: IEA
- According to International Energy Agency (IEA) report, India’s renewable energy capacity will more than double by the year 2022.
- The country’s renewable energy installed capacity is 58.30 GW, as per the recent government data.
- The govt. has an ambitious goal of increasing it to 175 GW by 2022 including 100 GW of solar and 60 GW of wind energy.
- The solar PV and wind together represent 90% of India’s capacity growth as auctions yielded some of the world’s lowest prices for both technologies.
8. Reserve Bank of India Opens Branch in Dehradun:
- The Reserve Bank of India opened a branch in the Dehradun city to make transactions of the Uttarakhand State government more convenient.
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Trivendra Singh Rawat inaugurated the RBI’s Branch. Earlier, the state government had to do financial transactions through the Kanpur branch of the RBI.
9. HDFC Life Launched Neo, a Bot for Twitter:
- HDFC Life Insurance Company has launched ‘Neo’, a servicing bot for Twitter that uses artificial intelligence for customer service. This is the second bot put in operation by HDFC Life, after the launch of SPOK, which was an email bot to answer customer queries.
- The Neo bot will be available 24/7 and has the capability to authenticate customers and give frequently sought details, like fund value, sum assured and premium amount.
10. MobiKwik, IRCTC Rail Connect Partner for Ticket Bookings:
- Digital payments firm MobiKwik announced its partnership with IRCTC Rail connect app, which will allow customers book railway tickets using the former’s payment gateway.
- The tie-up is aimed at simplifying payment systems by introducing MobiKwik’s easy-to-use interface for all, which supports payment solution through channels like debit card, credit card, net Banking, ATM Cards and Wallets.
11. Wushu World Championships: Pooja Kadian clinches India’s elusive gold:
- India’s Pooja Kadian bagged India’s first ever gold medal at Wushu World Championships in Kazan, Russia. Pooja defeated Evgeniya Stepanova in the final.
- The last medal for India came from Arunpama Devi Keisham, who won in the 65 kg Sanda category in the women’s section.
- Currently, China leads the medal tally with 15 gold medals with Iran in second place with eight.
12. Mongolian Parliament Confirms New Prime Minister:
- The Mongolian Parliament confirmed Ukhnaa Khurelsukh as the country’s new Prime Minister. His confirmation comes after Jargaltulga Erdenebat was voted out of office over allegations of corruption and incompetence.
- Khurelsukh previously served in the army and joined the parliament as a member in 2000. He is the 30th Prime Minister of Mongolia.
13. Zafar Mahmood Abbasi, Pakistan’s New Navy Chief:
- Pakistan appointed Vice-Admiral Zafar Mahmood Abbasi as new Chief of Naval Staff. He will replace Admiral Muhammad Zakaullah who will retire on 6 October.
- President Mamnoon Hussain approved the appointment of Abbasi on the advice of Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi. In Pakistan, all services chiefs are appointed by the president at the recommendation of the prime minister who has final say in such appointments.