Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 5th September 2017
1. National Teachers’ Day: 5th September:
- Teacher’s Day is celebrated in India on 5th September in honor of Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan, who was born on September 5, 1888. Dr. Radhakrishnan was India’s second president and a great scholar, philosopher and Bharat Ratna recipient.
- Since 1962, India has commemorated his birth anniversary. Teachers Day is an occasion to pay reverence to the teachers and convey them that they hold special respect in our hearts. Celebrating Teachers Day is acknowledged by UNESCO and fairly popular in several countries across the globe.
2. Rajnath Singh & Yogi Adityanath to flag off Lucknow Metro rail:
- Today, Rajnath Singh (Union Home Minister), Yogi Adityanath (UP Chief Minister), Hardeep Singh Puri (Urban development minister) and Ram Naik (Governor) flagged off the first train of Lucknow Metro.
- For general-public services of five metro trains will be available from tomorrow (6 AM to 10 PM).
The ‘Priority Corridor’ (8.5-km-long) from Transport Nagar to Charbagh, which is part of Phase-1 of the project, and has 8 stations in between will be operational for the public every day.
- The four-coach trains will have a capacity to accommodate nearly 1,100 passengers at a time, with a seating capacity for 200 people.
3. Indo-Nepal Joint Military exercise: Surya Kiran
- The 12th edition of India-Nepal joint military exercise- Surya Kiran XII has begun at Nepal Army Battle School (NABS) in Saljhandi, Nepal.
- The 14 day exercise (from 3 to 16 September 2017) focused on skills required counter-terrorism and counter-terror, forest fighting and natural disaster management operations.
- In this edition of exercise, Indian Army was represented by troops of Kumaon Scouts and Narayan Dal Battalion participated on behalf of Nepal Army.
4. Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani launches Gyankunj project:
- On the occasion of Teachers Day, Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has launched ‘Gyankunj e-class project’ at Shahpur primary school in Gandhinagar.
- The entire project will work on the pilot basis with Interactive e-class room and smart boards have been provided under this initiative.
- 1609 government primary schools have been provided a laptop, projector, infrared camera, smart board, speaker and WiFi router facilities for 3,173 class rooms of standard 7 and 8.
- About 10,000 tablets are to be given to standard 7 and 8 students across 100 more schools on free of cost.
- Education for all courses in standard 5 to 8 will be given through e-content and the internet.
5. ‘Prakriti Khoj’- An Environment Quiz on Teachers’ Day:
- The Union Environment Ministry launched an environmental awareness initiative on the occasion of Teachers’ Day. Under the initiative, an online environmental quiz competition named Prakriti Khoj will be conducted at the national level.
- The objective of the quiz is to generate interest among school children about the science related to the environment. The initiative is to motivate children towards environment conservation-oriented lifestyles.
6. Centre announces the formation of the inter-ministerial task force for Namami Gange mission:
- The Union minister Nitin Gadkari has announced the formation of an inter-ministerial task force to expedite implementation of the Centre’s Namami Gange mission.
- The ministry will come out with a detailed schedule on achieving various targets under the mission in a time-bound and transparent manner.
- ‘Namami Gange Programme’, is an Integrated Conservation Mission, approved as ‘Flagship Programme’ by the Union Government in June 2014 with budget outlay of Rs.20,000 Crore to accomplish the twin objectives of effective abatement of pollution, conservation, and rejuvenation of National River Ganga.
7. ‘Ye India ka time hai’ event organized at NIT Raipur:
- ‘Ye India ka time hai’ event has been organized at National Institute of Technology, Raipur, Chattisgarh.
- Students of NIT Raipur participated in a brainstorming session on ‘New India Manthan’ and discussed their views on ‘what kind of India do they imagine for the year 2022’.
- The event was held as per the directives of HRD ministry to mark India’s 70 years of independence and 75 years of the Quit India movement.
- The students and teachers also took the ‘Sankalp Se Siddhi’ pledge, vowing to make India free from menaces like corruption, casteism, and communalism.
8. Union Health Ministry Launched Two New Contraceptives Antara and Chhaya:
- The Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare launched two new contraceptives- an injectable contraceptive MPA under the ‘Antara’ program and a contraceptive pill ‘Chhaya’ in the public health system to expand the basket of contraceptive choices for couples.
- These contraceptives have been launched in 10 states including Delhi, Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Karnataka, Haryana, West Bengal, Odisha, and Goa. The ‘Antara’ injectable is effective for three months and the ‘Chayya’ pill is effective for one week.
9. Astronaut Peggy Whitson returns to Earth after 665 days in space:
- Astronaut Peggy Whitson returned to Earth, wrapping up a record-breaking flight that catapulted her to first place for U.S. space endurance.
- Whitson’s 665 days off the planet 288 days on this mission alone exceeds that of any other American and any other woman worldwide.
- Whitson set multiple other records while in orbit — world’s oldest spacewoman, at age 57, and most experienced female spacewalker, with 10.
- She also became the first woman to command the space station twice.
10. RBI Includes HDFC Bank in ‘too big to fail’ List:
- RBI included HDFC Bank in the list of ‘too big to fail’ lenders, referred to as D-SIB or domestic systemically important bank. India’s largest lender SBI and private sector major ICICI Bank were classified as D-SIBs in 2015.
- With the inclusion of HDFC Bank in the list, there will now be three ‘too big to fail’ financial entities in the country.
11. Sankara Narayanan Takes Charge as MD & CEO of Vijaya Bank:
- R A Sankara Narayanan has taken charge as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Vijaya Bank. He has taken over the reigns of the bank from Kishore Sansi, who reached superannuation on August 31.
- He joined Bank of India as a direct recruit officer in 1983 and has headed various branches.
12. TMB Gets New MD & CEO:
- KV Rama Moorthy has assumed charge as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Tamilnad Mercantile Bank.
- Prior to joining TMB, he was Executive Director of United Bank of India. He succeeds HS Upendra Kamath. Rama Moorthy’s appointment is for a period of three years.
13. Arunachal health minister Jomde Kena passes away:
- Arunachal Pradesh health and family welfare minister ‘Jomde Kena’ (52-year) passed away at a private hospital in Guwahati. He was a resident of Gensi village in Lower Siang district.
- Kena was elected as the deputy speaker during the Nabam Tuki government and served as a parliamentary secretary under the Dorjee Khandu and Jarbom Gamlin ministries.
- The state government has declared two days state mourning from today and announced a holiday tomorrow.
13. Amritpal Singh, First Indian to be Signed by Australian Basketball Team:
- Captain of Indian basketball team Amritpal Singh created history by becoming the first Indian player to be signed by an Australian Basketball team.
- He will be a part of the Sydney Kings during their pre-season tour where they will also take on the game against Utah Jazz side. Born in a village of Punjab, Singh initially played for the Pune Peshwas in the Indian Basketball League.
14. Konsam Ormila Devi bags gold at Commonwealth Youth weight lifting C’ship:
- Konsam Ormila Devi (India) bagged a gold medal in 44kg weight category on the opening day of the Commonwealth Youth (boys & girls) weightlifting championships at Gold Coast, Australia.
- Ormila lifted 57kg in snatch and 76kg in clean and jerk for an overall effort of 133kg, to finish on the top of the podium.