1. Economist Rajiv Kumar appointed as Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog:
- The Union Government has appointed economist Rajiv Kumar as the new vice-chairman of National Institution for Transforming India (NITI) Aayog.
- Rajiv Kumar will succeed Arvind Panagariya. As Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog, he will hold cabinet minister rank.
- The government also appointed Dr. Vinod Paul, a pediatrician at the AIIMS, as a member of the NITI Aayog.
2. Union Government launches Bharat 22 ETF to sell stakes in 22 firms:
- The Union Finance Ministry has launched second exchange-traded fund (ETF), named Bharat 22.
- It will help to speed up Government’s disinvestment programme budgeted to raise a record Rs 72,500 crore in the FY 2018.
- Bharat 22 comprise of 22 stocks including those of central public sector enterprises (CPSEs), public sector banks (PSBs) and its holdings under the Specified Undertaking of Unit Trust of India (SUUTI).
3. Hassan Rouhani sworn in as president:
- Hassan Rouhani was inaugurated as the 7th president of the Islamic Republic of Iran.
- “From now on, we must be responsive to the people’s votes,” Rouhani told hundreds of guests gathering in the parliament. The ceremony was attended by some 1200 guests.
4. Usain Bolt beaten by Justin Gatlin in 100m final in World Championships 2017:
- Usain Bolt was beaten in his last race by Justin Gatlin, and his American teammate Christian Coleman. Justin Gatlin stole world 100m gold.
- Bolt was left with only a bronze in his final individual 100m race as Christian Coleman made it a USA one-two.
5. Indian Railways signs first EPC contract with L&T to speed up electrification:
- The Indian Railways has signed its first EPC (engineering, procurement, construction) contract with Larsen and Turbo (L&T) for electrification of railway lines.
- The contract valuing Rs 1,050 crore was awarded by Central Organisation for Railway Electrification (CORE) and Konkan Railways for electrification of 781 route kilometres (RKM).
- It will cover Delhi Sarai Rohilla – Rewari and Alwr – Bandikui – Jaipur – Phulera – Ajmer (353 rkm) section and Roha – Verna (428 rkm) of Konkan Railway.
- Besides, eight such agreements were also exchanged between Zonal Railways and Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) for 1,735 rkm of electrification projects valuing Rs 1,746 crore.