Daily GK Update & Current Affairs: 6th October 2017
1. Nobel Peace Prize 2017 awarded to ICAN:
- International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN) has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2017 for its work to draw attention to the catastrophic humanitarian consequences of any use of nuclear weapons and for its ground-breaking efforts to achieve a treaty-based prohibition of such weapons.
- The 2017 Peace Prize calls upon nuclear-armed states to initiate negotiations to the gradual elimination of the world’s 15,000 nuclear weapons.
- ICAN is a coalition of non-governmental organizations (NGO) from around 100 different countries around the globe.
- In 2016, Juan Manuel Santos was awarded the Peace Prize “for his resolute efforts to bring the country’s more than 50-year-long civil war to an end”.
2. Snow leopard photographed for the first time in Arunachal Pradesh:
- Scientists for the first time have captured images of Snow Leopard using camera trap at Thembang village’s Community Conserved Area (CCA) in West Kameng district of Arunachal Pradesh.
- The camera trap study was conducted by World Wildlife Fund for Nature (WWF-India) in collaboration with Arunachal Pradesh Environment and Forest Department to focus on unexplored snow leopard habitats.
3. Gauri Lankesh wins Anna Politkovskaya Award:
- Late Indian Journalist- activist Gauri Lankesh (first Indian Journalist) has been awarded the Reach All Women in War (RAW) Anna Politkovskaya Award alongside, Gulalai Ismail, a women’s rights activist from Pakistan.
- Gauri Lankesh was fatally shot by unidentified attackers in Bengaluru in September.
The Anna Politkovskaya Award was established to remember and honour Russian journalist Anna Politkovskaya, who was murdered in Moscow on October 7, 2006 over her reportage of the second war in Chechnya.
4. Government launches Paryatan Parv to boost tourism:
- The Union Ministry of Tourism in collaboration with Other Union Ministries and State Governments has launched nationwide ‘Paryatan Parv’ to showcase cultural diversity of the country and reinforce the principle of ‘Tourism for All’. Its objective is to draw focus on the benefits of tourism.
- It was inaugurated at Humayun’s Tomb and will be held across the country from the 5th to 25th October 2017. During this period, ‘Adopt A Heritage’ project launched by Ministry of Tourism will be implemented at key sites.
5. India & Ethiopia sign agreements on trade, communication:
- India and Ethiopia have signed agreements to boost bilateral ties after talks between President Ram Nath Kovind and his Ethiopian counterpart Mulatu Teshome on trade, communication, and media at Addis Ababa(Ethiopia).
- The President thanked Ethiopia for its participation in the International Solar Alliance (ISA) to provide a dedicated platform for cooperation among solar resource-rich countries and promote the use of solar energy.
- They also addressed the India-Ethiopia Business Dialogue and released a book titled ‘India-Ethiopia: 70 years of Diplomatic Relations’.
6. Banwarilal Purohit Sworn-in as Governor of Tamil Nadu:
- Banwarilal Purohit was sworn in as 25th Governor of Tamil Nadu. He was administered oath of office and secrecy by Madras High Court Chief Justice Indira Banerjee. He was transferred from post of Governor of Assam by President Ram Nath Kovind.
- He will take charge from C Vidyasagar Rao, Governor of Maharashtra who was hold additional charge after tenure of K. Rosaiah had ended on 31 August 2016.
7. First ASEAN India Music Festival to be held at Purana Qila today:
- The First ever three-day ASEAN-India Music Festival to be held at Purana Quila in New Delhi.
- The Festival aims to boost cultural influences among the peoples of the ASEAN member states and India.
- The festival has been organized by the External Affairs ministry in collaboration Culture Ministry to celebrate the 25th anniversary of ASEAN-India Dialogue Relations.
- Famous Indian bands like the Raghu Dixit Project, Avial, Papon LIVE, Bipul Chettri and the Travelling Band, and Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy will also participate in the festival.
8. PAN card not mandatory for jewellery purchases above Rs 50,000:
- The Finance Ministry on Friday announced that PAN card and Aadhaar card details will not be mandatory for jewellery purchases above Rs 50,000.
- The ministry has also decided to revoke the existing Goods and Services Tax (GST) on gems and jewellery.
- A separate notification is expected to be issued after due consideration, according to reports.
9. India signs €300 million agreement with European Investment Bank for Bangalore Metro Phase II:
- Government has signed Finance Contract with European Investment Bank (EIB) for lending of €300 million for Bangalore Metro Rail Project Phase II Line R6.
- The Phase II of metro project is jointly financed by EIB (€500 million) and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (€300 million). The project envisages extension of East-West , North-South lines for Bangalore Metro Rail which includes a total length of 72.095 km (13.79 km underground) and 61 stations with 12 underground stations.
10. Tata AIA Life Launches ‘Eazy Connect’:
- Private insurer Tata AIA Life announced the launch of ‘Eazy Connect’, that will extend online customer service to social media platforms.
- The chatbot will be available through social media platforms and is developed to respond to the most frequently asked queries.
11. Rio Olympic Committee Chairman Arrested on Corruption Charges:
- Brazilian police arrested the chairman of the country’s Olympic Committee Carlos Arthur Nuzman as part of a probe into alleged vote-buying to secure Rio’s hosting of the 2016 Games.
- Twenty federal police agents swept into Rio de Janeiro’s upscale Leblon neighbourhood to arrest 75-year-old Carlos Nuzman.
12. Vijaya Bank Inks MoU with HPCL for Digital Payments:
- Vijaya Bank has entered into an MoU with Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Ltd (HPCL) for enabling all HPCL retail outlets with BHIM/UPI merchant solutions. This rollout will empower all petrol pump attendants and LPG delivery personnel to accept digital payments.
- Customers can make payments by scanning a payment QR code, using BHIM Vijaya or any BHIM app that supports payments via UPI. Both Vijaya Bank and HPCL have inked the pact in line with the GOI initiative to encourage digital payments, especially BHIM/UPI.
13. FIFA U-17 World Cup 2017 Started:
- The much-awaited FIFA U-17 World Cup started with four opening day matches to be played in Delhi and Mumbai. The opening matches would be played by teams in Group A and B.
- In Delhi, the inaugural match would be played between Group A teams Colombia and Ghana at Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium, followed by hosts India who would take on Team USA in the second match. In Mumbai, Group B team New Zealand would be taking on Turkey in the first game at DY Patil stadium in Navi Mumbai.
- The Official Mascot of the FIFA U-17 World Cup India 2017 is a clouded leopard called Kheleo.
- This is the first FIFA tournament hosted by India. The final will be held at the Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata on 28 October 2017.